R9 280x for BF4?

Go to solution Solved by LBJ,

bf4-fr.png

These numbers are from BF4 (not Beta).

It depends what you mean by ultra, if you meant the preset then a 280X probably won't hold 60fps consistently, but if you have Ultra textures but turn off AA it probably will. 

So does anyone have any benchmarks on the 280x for BF4 (NOT THE BETA PLEASE!)? I've tried to google this, but its all beta benchmarks. Just for comparison, here are my specs: 4670k stock clock speeds (for now :), AsRock z87 pro3, 8 gigs of Corsair Vengence RAM, and a 650 watt psu.

What about Mantle? How much of a frame increase do you think it will have? Or do you recommend the GTX 770 instead if the 280x (I'm probably gonna play BF4 exclusively) No fanboyism please.

Thanks

PS this is my first time on Linus Tech Tips forms :)

I can tell you a 280X in it's current form will not be able to ultra BF4, my 290 is within 2-3 FPS of 60FPS, What I can tell you though is mantle will improve that and potentially allow you to ultra BF4, however we have not seen any benchmarks of how much better BF4 will run with Mantle, it's rumoured to be 20-50% and no, if your playing BF4 exclusively, there is no way in hell you want to get a 770. 

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.7 1.3v  with a Corsair H80 w/Dual SP120s - Motherboard: MSI Z97 gaming 5 - RAM: 4x4 G.Skill Ripjaws X @ 1600 - GPU: Dual PowerColour R9 290- SSD: Samsung NVME SM951 256GB-- PSU: Corsair RM 1000  - Case: NZXT H440 Black/red - Keyboard: Coolermaster CM storm Quickfire TK, Cherry MX blues - Mouse: Logitech G502 - Heaphones: Beyerdynamic DT 770 - Monitors: 3x VE248H Eyefinity 1080P -  Phone: iPhone 6S Plus               Please post your specifications in your post, signature or even better, system page on your profile!

I can tell you a 280X in it's current form will not be able to ultra BF4, my 290 is within 2-3 FPS of 60FPS, What I can tell you though is mantle will improve that and potentially allow you to ultra BF4, however we have not seen any benchmarks of how much better BF4 will run with Mantle, it's rumoured to be 20-50% and no, if your playing BF4 exclusively, there is no way in hell you want to get a 770. 

If you get hardly 60 fps with an r9 290 there is something wrong there.

CPU: i7 8700 GPU: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 Mobo: Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 5 Ram: 16GB EVGA SuperSC SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB PSU: TX650M Case: NZXT S340 Elite OS: Windows 10 Mouse: Logitech G403 Mouse Mat: HyperX Fury S Pro XL 
Keyboard: CM Masterkeys Pro S (reds) Headphones: Sennheiser HD598 Monitor: Asus 24' MG248QR Devices: IPhone 11 Pro Max + 13' Macbook Pro

280x will run bf4 ultra no doubt.

CPU: i7 8700 GPU: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 Mobo: Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 5 Ram: 16GB EVGA SuperSC SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB PSU: TX650M Case: NZXT S340 Elite OS: Windows 10 Mouse: Logitech G403 Mouse Mat: HyperX Fury S Pro XL 
Keyboard: CM Masterkeys Pro S (reds) Headphones: Sennheiser HD598 Monitor: Asus 24' MG248QR Devices: IPhone 11 Pro Max + 13' Macbook Pro

280x is about the same as a 7970 Ghz and i run bf4 ulta no problem

Even a 660ti will run ultra no problem

Case: NZXT Phantom 410 Cpu: i7 3820 at 4.3 Ghz Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 | Gpu: XFX hd 7970 Ghz 1100Mhz/1600Mhz Ram: Crucial BallistiX Elite 16GB 2x8 Gb 1866 Mhz

SSD's: 2x Kingston HyperX 3K SSD 120 GB in RAID 0 HDD:Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 Rpm

Cpu cooler: Corsair H100i with SP120's | Psu: Corsair TX 850W My monitors: 3x BenQ 24"  GL2460 = Eyefinity

My 560 runs BF4 at 50fps on ultra.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

dude i have a 7970GHz and on ultra i get over 60FPS i didn't before i unparked my cpu i was only running or 4 cores insted of 8 so give that a try 

l Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.5Ghz l Asus VII Ranger ROG l MSI GTX 970 @ 1555MHz l 

PC PART PICKER

I have a 280x and 4670k stock and run BF4 at ultra with over 60fps and up to 110 in good scenes and worst is in 45fps but that is rare (siege of shanghai skycrapper falling perhaps). On average I would say 80fps

bf4-fr.png

These numbers are from BF4 (not Beta).

It depends what you mean by ultra, if you meant the preset then a 280X probably won't hold 60fps consistently, but if you have Ultra textures but turn off AA it probably will. 

280x will run bf4 ultra no doubt.

If you get hardly 60 fps with an r9 290 there is something wrong there.

He probably meant the ultra preset or settings maxed out--not exactly the best wording.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

280X shouldn't have any problem with ultra preset, I expect constant 60FPS.

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

I think even a 270x can run ULTRA in BF4. You're perfectly fine with a 280x

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

I have a GTX770 and a very similar spec and the gtx770 is almost the same as the r9 280x in bf4. I play on ultra at 1080p at 70-90fps with no MSAA (Don't like the input lag it brings) so yeh really good card and will do you well. hope that helps. 

He probably meant the ultra preset or settings maxed out--not exactly the best wording.

Yup lol

Wow thanks for the quick and awesome replies everyone! Loved the input! I kinda really am starting to love this website. Linus did an awesome job!

Wow thanks for the quick and awesome replies everyone! Loved the input! I kinda really am starting to love this website. Linus did an awesome job!

Yep it's a nice site just to hang out on and learn more from other people.