Heat sink stucked on my laptop motherboard (help)

Yuusha

ahm hey guys?

i have a dell 5547 with a i7 4th gen 4510u and a gpu Amd r7 m265 connected together on a sink

its been 4 years since im using the laptop and i never replaced the thermal paste on it

but recently i noticed my temp are get much hotter you think my paste is finally worn out?

and the screws on the heat sink is fked up bad you know anyway i can remove it without damaging the motherboard or the actual heat sink ... the screws are just really damaged and i cant screw them off and its warranty was 3 years only so its okay for me to work on it

5screw damaged and stucked 

This is a picture of the heatsink+pipe:

863DRa1.JPG

Do you have any pictures? When you say the screws are really damaged, do you mean cross threaded?

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

yes the cross is damage and i cant use my driver on it

congrats, you have a rounded out phillips head.  I doubt those screws are even large enough to get a screw extractor in there to drill it out.  You may honestly be boned.  Perhaps have a three-prong pick-up tool latched onto the outside of the screw head while exerting constant but gentle pull in the upward direction and gently tap against what remains of the notches in the screw head to try and tease the screws in the right direction.  If you manage to get those out, you'll definitely want to replace them.

Then again, I've never had an issue that severe in a tiny laptop screw.  Usually only happens if you use too much force or more often incorrectly-sized tools.  Other forum members may have better solutions.

I swear that manufacturers always go for the cheapest screws made of the softest alloy...then again, there's not much metal in those tiny screws.

See if you can whack a small torx into it 

EDIT: Not literally whack but ya know

DISCLAIMER 

Everything i say is my own opinion. So if you disagree with what I post, you are wrong. 

19 minutes ago, PineyCreek said:

congrats, you have a rounded out phillips head.  I doubt those screws are even large enough to get a screw extractor in there to drill it out.  You may honestly be boned.  Perhaps have a three-prong pick-up tool latched onto the outside of the screw head while exerting constant but gentle pull in the upward direction and gently tap against what remains of the notches in the screw head to try and tease the screws in the right direction.  If you manage to get those out, you'll definitely want to replace them.

Then again, I've never had an issue that severe in a tiny laptop screw.  Usually only happens if you use too much force or more often incorrectly-sized tools.  Other forum members may have better solutions.

I swear that manufacturers always go for the cheapest screws made of the softest alloy...then again, there's not much metal in those tiny screws.

i know i was being dumb lol  but man its the first time i experienced this too and i was doing it in the correct pattern also 6,5,4,3,2,1 order but the screw got so fragile from the heat for 4 years and r.i.p me lol

9 minutes ago, wANKER said:

See if you can whack a small torx into it 

EDIT: Not literally whack but ya know

lol i think ill chop these and resolder it xD lol

863DRa1.JPG

11 minutes ago, Nomozu said:

but the screw got so fragile from the heat for 4 years and r.i.p me lol

Nah, the screws were fragile from the get go, blame the laptop manufacturer for cheapening out.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

oh well thanks for the support guys ill try to do with that guy told me .. i just wanted to put some new paste lol and now the heatsink is stucked af e.e