Do I need to upgrade my PSU?

Drunk.EU

Hi,

I just wanted to confirm whether i should replace my existing PSU with a new one, it hasn't given me any problems as of yet. I have been using this for the past 5 years now and i've kept it clean though dust does contaminate the whole thing from time to time. 

Here is my existing build:

• CPU: Intel i5 3570k @ 4.5Ghz
  • Motherboard: Intel z77sl-50k
  • RAM: 4GB x 2 Corsair Vengeance
  • GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1050 2GB & MSI GTX 970
  • Case: Cooler master CM 370
  • Storage: 120GB Kingston v300 SSD & Seagate 1TB HDD
  • PSU: Cooler Master GX 550W 80+ Bronze
  • Display(s): Samsung 24' LED & Dell 21' LED
  • Cooling: Corsair H55i liquid cooler
  • Keyboard: Logitech G213 prodigy
  • Mouse: Logitech G403 prodigy wired
  • Sound: On board
  • Operating System: Windows 10 professional

In the coming week, i will be updating my build with the following specs: 
    CPU: Intel 8th gen i7 8700 (non K)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte B360 AORUS GAMING
    RAM: 8GB x 2 Corsair Vengeance LPX  DDR4 
    GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1050 2GB & MSI GTX 970 (will upgrade to a 20xx card in the future - 5/6 months later) 
    Case: Cooler master CM 370 (will upgrade next month) 
    Storage: 120GB Kingston v300 SSD & Seagate 1TB HDD
    PSU: Cooler Master GX 550W 80+ Bronze - Should I upgrade it to a Corsair VS650w 80+ white or spend more money to get a CS650M 80+gold? 
    Display(s): Samsung 24' LED & Dell 21' LED
    Cooling: Corsair H55i liquid cooler
    Keyboard: Logitech G213 prodigy
    Mouse: Logitech G403 prodigy wired
    Sound: On board
    Operating System: Windows 10 professional

Another question that comes to my mind is that do i even need to upgrade my PSU? The current one hasn't given me any problems but has gotten quite old (5 years used)

Also know that the Corsair VS650w comes with a decent mid tower corsair case: Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-05 Mid-Tower Gaming Case — Black + VS650 ATX Power Supply Included 

All the 80+ gold PSUs starting price is the same as the above case-PSU combo in my area. If I decide to end up buying a new PSU, which would be the appropriate choice among the two options mentioned above?

550w is sufficient though if you want to refresh it nevertheless I love the EVGA SuperNova G2, good price and quality

7 minutes ago, ZeouLs said:

550w is sufficient though if you want to refresh it nevertheless I love the EVGA SuperNova G2, good price and quality

I second this. I generally only recommend Corsair and EVGA PSUs that are 80+ gold or higher and Semi/fully modular. Almost always means they're higher quality.

Also modular PSUs make cable management and clutter so much easier to deal with.

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

What coolermaster GX is it (Coolermaster has a LOT of GX's - part number would be nice)? Is it the Coolermaster GX storm edition?

If it's the storm edition, it's okay, it's DC-DC, and is better than the Corsair VS.

Should you get either the Corsair VS or CS? Corsair VS - No, it's low end, or Corsair CS - No, It's EOL, so is old stock.

Where are you from, can you link a shop?

By the looks of it, i should just get the case for the time being and save up for a beefier power supply :o 

1 minute ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

What coolermaster GX is it (Coolermaster has a LOT of GX's - part number would be nice)? Is it the Coolermaster GX storm edition?

If it's the storm edition, it's okay, it's DC-DC, and is better than the Corsair VS.

Should you get either the Corsair VS or CS? Corsair VS - No, it's low end, or Corsair CS - No, It's EOL, so is old stock.

It's just the GX series that came before the GX II series. 

One more question guys, can my existing case which is the Cooler Master CM 370 elite support the new board and everything?

In that case its ~8 ears or so, so it makes sense to replace it before it wrecks havoc on your PC...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"