Gigabyte eGPU USB-C/TB3- testing

Hi. 

I am going to get ahold of the Gigabyte eGPU 1080 device to be paired with a Lenovo Yoga Gen3 (i5).

https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N1080IXEB-8GD#kf

I am planning on testing the eGPU with Time Spy / PC-Mark on different displays 1080/1440/2160. 

I am also planning on running the gpu itself with a desktop computer running pcie at 16x vs 4x on the same resolutions. 

The eGPU device will be used for business/streaming purposes and I am wondering what tests or comparisons you would like to see. 

It's all been done. reddit.com/r/eGPU 

I've been running a 1080 Gaming box on a 9575 from dell with a 4k Display. Ran it through the internal display at different resolutions and on external monitor. 

1080p - Biggest bottleneck 

1440p - Second biggest Bottleneck

4k - Smallest bottleneck. 

At the end of the day, you see 5%-10% loss in frame rate when playing 4k on eGPU 1080 vs PCI 16x, you see 15-20% loss at 1440p, and a staggering 30% loss at 1080p simply due to the number of frames. Theories aside, this is true for external monitors even though they perform around 5-10% better than feedback to the laptop monitor in ALL instances except 4k. 

Your results will likely mimic this. 

SLI 1070 Setup for sale!!!

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/26/2018 at 6:17 PM, reptileexperts said:

It's all been done. reddit.com/r/eGPU 

I've been running a 1080 Gaming box on a 9575 from dell with a 4k Display. Ran it through the internal display at different resolutions and on external monitor. 

1080p - Biggest bottleneck 

1440p - Second biggest Bottleneck

4k - Smallest bottleneck. 

At the end of the day, you see 5%-10% loss in frame rate when playing 4k on eGPU 1080 vs PCI 16x, you see 15-20% loss at 1440p, and a staggering 30% loss at 1080p simply due to the number of frames. Theories aside, this is true for external monitors even though they perform around 5-10% better than feedback to the laptop monitor in ALL instances except 4k. 

Your results will likely mimic this. 

Thank you for your reply. The only thing I have not found is how the card performs in a desktop computer in 16x vs 4x PCIx.

The card will be used for streaming, so I will be using the Aorus software to create a custom profile for the card using a lower amount of power and a lower temperature point.