ASUS Radeon R9 290 DirectCU II OC: luckily no heatsink problems(as of yet)

brownninja97

ASUS-Radeon-R9-290-DirectCU-II-OC-4.jpg

And so asus are putting the direct cu 2 cooler on the R9 290(non x). Looks pretty standard. The stats are standard as well, you know the 1ghz core clock and 5040mhz memory clock and the other stuff about it being quiet and the ability to cool. Also black pcb's ftw. Hey we need more black heatpipes and heat sinks and stuff, make everything black, we need black gold as well.

Remember this odd cooler isnt dual-slot, it isnt triple slot. Its 2.5-slot(just because we can).

ASUS-Radeon-R9-290-DirectCU-II-OC-2.jpg

rememeber no dvi-i for the vga users, if you are using vga then you must get rid of it, now. Also this gpu has a sideways penis extension. And hdmi and display port for people that use those.

Sadly this gpu doesnt have the fancy stickers which asus said they were adding so -1 for asus. Also watch out as there are a few heatsink issues with gigabyte and asus at the moment so be weary as it could affect this card as well.

Btw ocuk say this card will be £389.99(likely $500 for us(estimate not fact)).

http://videocardz.com/48622/asus-radeon-r9-290-directcu-ii-oc-detailed

Also a question to you guys, what is the point of a pre-overclocked card? Who would want a pre-overclocked card anyways when its so easy to do yourself?

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Also a question to you guys, what is the point of a pre-overclocked card? Who would want a pre-overclocked card anyways when its so easy to do yourself?

Not every card is going to overclock well.

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

The point of a pre ocd card is that it runs at the highest frequency out of the box, that the manufacturer has tested for 100% stability. Once you OC yourself it takes much more time to find a overclock that is stable and wont crash in every game you play. I for example dont OC because its just too much of a hassle and youre not going to get that much more fps anything past 1100 mhz. Maybe 2-5 fps which you will never notice.

CPU: i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz | CASE: Corsair 780T White Edition | MB: Asus Z170 Deluxe | CPU Cooling: EK Predator 360 | GPU: NVIDIA Titan X Pascal w/ EKWB nickel waterblock | PSU: EVGA 850w P2 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Corsair Domintator Platinum 2800mhz | Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | OS: Win 10 Pro x64 | Monitor: Acer Predator X34/HTC VIVE Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger-Z | Mouse: Razer Taipan | Sound: Audio Technica ATH-M50x / Klipsch Promedia 2.1 Sound System 

The point of a pre ocd card is that it runs at the highest frequency out of the box, that the manufacturer has tested for 100% stability. Once you OC yourself it takes MUCH more time to find a overclock that is stable and wont crash in EVERY game you play. I for example dont OC because its just too much of a hassle and youre not going to that much more fps anything past 1100 mhz. Maybe 2-5 fps which you will NEVER notice.

Not sure if thats 100%  true, I remember many stories of people buying Pre-OC'd cards and then attempting to play BF3 and it just wouldn't have it. But thats BF3 and its very picky about overclocks

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Pre-OCed card is only guaranteed to run stable at the pre-OCed clock speed(which is most cases, not high for heavy overclockers). I've seen a lot of cases where cards with reference clock speed overclocks better than pre-OCed ones. 
They just overclocked it by about 53Mhz which isn't really that much at all. 

It just something AIB's do to try and differentiate their cards. They used to have OC versions and non-OC versions, now they seem to be moving towards only the OC versions, which makes sense.

yeah, and overclocked cards have better chance to OC more. (Cherry picked)

Are they? I mean, I guess lightning or matrix edition gpus are cherry picked but for dcu2, twin frozr or windforce, I'm not so sure about that. Their stock overclocks remain very conservative. My 7950 twin frozr for example has a pretty low oc headroom. I can't reach more than 1080mhz stable.

Are they? I mean, I guess lightning or matrix edition gpus are cherry picked but for dcu2, twin frozr or windforce, I'm not so sure about that. Their stock overclocks remain very conservative. My 7950 twin frozr for example has a pretty low oc headroom. I can't reach more than 1080mhz stable.

Least Asus, MSI and EVGA cherry pick cards.

Every OC*, TOP*, gaming, lightning, SC card is cherry picked

*Asus 

When the hell are they getting released ???? My pocket is burning from the wallet trying to purchase this or the 290x. These gonna get released when the next gen amd chips are out at this rate

When the hell are they getting released ???? My pocket is burning from the wallet trying to purchase this or the 290x. These gonna get released when the next gen amd chips are out at this rate

Yea, relese them already! I want to see Linus' videos about this and the rest of the 290 models with aftermarket coolers. I'm so tempted to buy one. My GTX 560 Ti just can't handle Battlefield 4 on ultra at 2560x1440 lol!

Yea, relese them already! I want to see Linus' videos about this and the rest of the 290 models with aftermarket coolers. I'm so tempted to buy one. My GTX 560 Ti just can't handle Battlefield 4 on ultra at 2560x1440 lol!

As i said above its risky to go for gigabyte and asus at the moment, of the companies have screwed up the heat sink resulting is baaad temps from the coolers, there is no date on when they will be back on the market as of yet as well. It seems like msi is your best bet.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Not sure if thats 100% true, I remember many stories of people buying Pre-OC'd cards and then attempting to play BF3 and it just wouldn't have it. But thats BF3 and its very picky about overclocks

BF4 is aswell every game other than BF4 is stable on my OC which neans I have to clock down :/

PC Specs: - *NZXT Phantom 410 Black/Orange* - *AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz* - *CM Hyper 212 EVO* - *Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3* - *Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mHz* - *Gigabyte 780 Ti* - *Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200rpm HDD* - *ModXStream PRO 600W PSU* -

Monitors: 2x BenQ GL2450 and 1x Some 22" 1080P Tv

BF3 picky about overclocks? Nah. I was able to play it at an unstable frequency of 1150mhz for many hours until it crashed.

These will be released on 17/01/2014 in the UK, according to OCUK - http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-334-AS&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=1752

Reviews for the 290X DirectCU II seem promising, I expect this one will follow suit.

no they shouldnt be promising the 290x directcu 2 has been taken off the market due to bad heatsink seating, its the 7950 issue all over again, im surprised asus would repeat the issue again.

Listen if you care.

no they shouldnt be promising the 290x directcu 2 has been taken off the market due to bad heatsink seating, its the 7950 issue all over again, im surprised asus would repeat the issue again.

Link please? I couldn't find this mentioned anywhere previously.