ASUS X470-F No Display/DRAM issue.

CesarsWrath

Hi folks I need some help please, I have been experiencing unknown errors with my pc and I don't know what it is really.

I was playing my pc one night, when I finished turned everything off as usual and put it to bed.

Turned it on the following day and had power, but no image on screen. My motherboard (gigabyte A1x370 gaming 5) was displaying a 00 error code, looked everywhere for an answer including the manual, no joy!

No beep codes to report.

At this point I had taken the following step to trouble shoot:

1) Turning it off and on again

2) Booting with one stick of ram.
3) Reseated everything, cables, power cord, GPU, RAM and CPU and everything else plugged into the MB.
4) CMOS clear (pressing the button on the MB). 
5) Took cmos battery out and unplugged power, left for 30mins, put battery back and turned everything on.

6) Replaced CMOS battery
7) Booted with only power cable and hdmi cable attached.
8) Put CPU in a different slot (gigabyte Nvidia 1080 8gb).
9) Checked all power cables are firmly pressed in on the MB.
10) Checked over previous steps to try and make it work.
11) Display does have power and turns on fine, and display images from other sources (ASUS VP278H-P).

12) Also cleaned out dust

13) Also reseated the MOBO to make sure it wasn't shorting on the case.

At this point I thought my issue was the MOBO, so I sent it back, couldn't get same model so got an upgrade at the same price.

Now have an ASUS Rog Strix 470-f gaming MOBO.

Installed it and seated all components without issue. Turned it on, No IMAGE again. Everything lights up and still has power. This new MOBO now has 4 leds in the top right, that systematically checks components in the boot process.

It has a solid yellow light on the board, according to the manual it is an issue with the DRAM.

So I tried putting them in different config positions according to the manual, again no joy, I thought then that my RAM sticks were bust.

They are Patriot Viper 2x8gb 3200Mhz PV416G320C6K

This isn't on the qvl list but the 300C6K model is (3000Mhz).

I had them sent back and got some brand new sticks directly from Patriot, which arrived today, I installed them without issue, and guess what.

NO IMAGE ON SCREEENENN!!! ?

Same yellow light on the MOBO that indecates a problem with my DRAM.

So to say I'm frustrated atm is an understatement, I not sure what to now.

Only last 2 things I can think off is,

1) Swap out my CPU (Ryzen 1800x), but that would mean buying a new one and I'm not sure that is the answer.

2) Sell these new ram sticks and buy some that are on the qvl list. But again the 3000Mhz model is on the list.

This is my first build btw and it's been running flawlessly for 6 months now, I had the cpu over clocked slightly to 3.9GHz, and the old RAM sticks were set to an open settings, running at 2400MHz for most things but would auto boost upto it full potential at 3200MHz if needed.

I realise this is a long post but I wanted to make sure I could give you guys as much info as possible.

Any thoughts suggestions would be appreciated it's become a giant ball ache now.

Thank you.

You have a GPU hooked up to the mobo and the display cable plugged into that, right? (dumb question but just had to check). 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

1 hour ago, Zando Bob said:

You have a GPU hooked up to the mobo and the display cable plugged into that, right? (dumb question but just had to check). 

Yes pal lol for sure, you made me consider it again so had to check again, but gpu is firmly in place and hdmi cable is plugged in at both ends ? 

Like I said led on the mobo suggests DRAM issue.

56 minutes ago, CesarsWrath said:

Yes pal lol for sure, you made me consider it again so had to check again, but gpu is firmly in place and hdmi cable is plugged in at both ends ? 

Like I said led on the mobo suggests DRAM issue.

Huh. Because I've never check QVL lists or anything and my 3000MHz 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB kit works fine in my mobo. I have the B450-F. 

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

32 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Huh. Because I've never check QVL lists or anything and my 3000MHz 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB kit works fine in my mobo. I have the B450-F. 

Well the ram I have wasn't in the qvl list for the previous mobo either, but they worked on that.

So yea idk what is the issue.

Hoping someone here may have answer. 

3 minutes ago, CesarsWrath said:

Well the ram I have wasn't in the qvl list for the previous mobo either, but they worked on that.

So yea idk what is the issue.

Hoping someone here may have answer. 

Facts. Can't be the RAM, since you replaced that, can't be the BIOS becuase it's a 400 series board with a 1st Gen Ryzen, which will always work. If it were a 2nd gen with a 300 series board then it could be that. And IDK what else it could be, and the likelihood of two borked mobos is pretty low... mebbe contact ASUS and see if they have anything to say about it beyond "RMA it lol". 

Main PC 

At this point, I am wondering if it is the CPU that is acting up.

I wouldn't rule out the RAM yet, at least, 100%.

Are you able to bring the CPU and/or RAM to a local PC shop, or a friend's house, to test the CPU and RAM?

Also, check for damaged / broken pins underneath the CPU -- it's rare for AMD chips, but stuff can happen.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

4 hours ago, Zando Bob said:

Facts. Can't be the RAM, since you replaced that, can't be the BIOS becuase it's a 400 series board with a 1st Gen Ryzen, which will always work. If it were a 2nd gen with a 300 series board then it could be that. And IDK what else it could be, and the likelihood of two borked mobos is pretty low... mebbe contact ASUS and see if they have anything to say about it beyond "RMA it lol". 

I'm thinking I will try and sell the RAM, even though its unlikely the issue. To get somthing that is on the list. Just to be absolutely certain.

3 hours ago, -rascal- said:

At this point, I am wondering if it is the CPU that is acting up.

I wouldn't rule out the RAM yet, at least, 100%.

Are you able to bring the CPU and/or RAM to a local PC shop, or a friend's house, to test the CPU and RAM?

Also, check for damaged / broken pins underneath the CPU -- it's rare for AMD chips, but stuff can happen.

The thought had crossed my mind also about the CPU being the culprit.

Though why would the mobo indecate a DRAM issure if the problem would be the CPU?

When I initially reseated everything, the CPU and cooler was cleaned of old thermal paste, then applied a new, cooler master diamond thermal paste. I also checked the pins and all appear fine, it also slots into the socket without issue.

If I get some new ram that is 100% certain to be compatible, ruling out that then I guess it might be the CPU idk.

I could look at getting a professional to look at, being in the UK, things of this nature are usually changed an arm and a leg per hour and/or have to wait days on end for them to get round to it.

I would have the option to RMA the CPU and replace that also for a 2nd gen. But I would just love to know what the issue is lol.

I can't be doing this every 6 months. 

9 hours ago, CesarsWrath said:

Does anybody else have any thoughts on this also? 

I’ve been reading up on this. It may indeed be the RAM at fault. Maybe your existing kit does not like the new Asus mobo. Since you’re from the UK, I will recommend you this RAM which is at a decent price right now:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0134EW7G8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_s9aRBb9HDXEF2

Before selling your Patriot kit, I’d order these and give them a go. If it still doesn’t work you’ll be able to return it to Amazon no questions asked within 30 days.

I personally don’t think it’s your CPU.

If the new RAM worked, congratulations. I would advise that you update the BIOS if this is the case for maximum compatibility and performance in the future.

1 hour ago, solosdk said:

I’ve been reading up on this. It may indeed be the RAM at fault. Maybe your existing kit does not like the new Asus mobo. Since you’re from the UK, I will recommend you this RAM which is at a decent price right now:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0134EW7G8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_s9aRBb9HDXEF2

Before selling your Patriot kit, I’d order these and give them a go. If it still doesn’t work you’ll be able to return it to Amazon no questions asked within 30 days.

I personally don’t think it’s your CPU.

If the new RAM worked, congratulations. I would advise that you update the BIOS if this is the case for maximum compatibility and performance in the future.

OK awesome and thank you for the recommendation, 3000Mhz is still near the sweet spot I'm after and a good price. Also they are on the QVL list, I was also looking at these: G.SKILL F4-2400C15D-16GTZR Trident Z RGB Series 16 GB (8 GB x 2) DDR4 2400 MHz PC4-19200 CL15 Dual Channel Memory Kit - Black with full length RGB LED light bar https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MU9NESL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_kwcRBb535YDK2

Downfall is that I have to sell my current sticks in order to afford this right now, or atleast wait another 2 to 3 weeks before I can buy them.

Talking of which if anyones is interested I do already have my new patriot sticks on ebay. 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F113272526345

But thanks again for the input my good man, appreciate it.

IT'S ALIVE!!!!!

Finally, after weeks of waiting trying to fix it, essentially upgraded my 6 month old pc to this years components, at no extra cost. Turned out that the RAM, although already replaced with new at Patriots sticks, indeed needed to be somthing on the QVL list. Now replaced with rgb G.Skill 3200 memory.

All up and running again.