Intel (Fake)Raid 10 absolutely poor performance

Hey guys,

i have a confusing problem.

There is an exchange server running server 2016 with exchange, dns and as a file server (no virtual machines)

Hardware is following and should be absolutely enough...

Intel Xeon Silver 4108 8x1,8Ghz + HT

6x4GB DDR4 2400 ECC

Supermicro X11SPL-F

4x 3TB Western Digital Purple WD30PURZ

+ case cooler etc.

The 4 drives are actually running in an Onboard Intel (Fake)Raid 10, but with such an horrible performance, which is unbelieveable.

CrystalDiskmark 1GB says 30MB/s read / around 150MB/s write.

Ive tested the drives one by one as single drives and they reach around 150+ r/w solo. so... where is the problem? oO

I thought 1 drive would be faulty, but actually its totally healthy and that wasnt the problem,... and now i dont get it anymore, i mean services are running and working speed is "okay" but this read speeds oO

and if u find some mistakes... sorry english isnt my native language :P

Well, you should know WD Purples aren't designed for use in servers. These slow running disks have rather poor IOPS. Throughput is super irrelevant in a workload like this, it's all about the IOPS. The amount of small data transfers is rather insane when dealing with Exchange, file servers and SQL. 

That said, if everything is running fine, I don't see a reason to worry about the throughput being sub par. If you want hyper speed, go with SSDs or 15K SAS disks.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

its not really running fine, its more running okay..

its like opening the explorer via remotedesktop u have to wait 3-4 seconds until it opens up. a fresh reboot needs like 10+ minutes until everything is up.

WHEN every service is up, the normal services like dns, dhcp, exchange, file server are running okay.

but the confusing point for me was that the write speed is ok but the read speed is 1/10 of the excepted one, 1/20 if intel uses all 4 drives for reading.

Well.. ive tried this night to boot in safemode and startet a short crystaldiskmark there, here i get 80MB/s read and up 250MB/s write speed

Now im confused 80MB/s read speed when no service is using the HDDs