AM3+ Motherboards are impossible to find?

Simple question: does anyone know of a relaible source for new am3+ Mobo? Even a used one from someone on this community?

My 4 year old ASUS seams to have given up on me, but I'm in college (and not yet in bebt, I might add) and can't afford the upgrade from my FX system. Amazon listings are sketchy AF with contradictory information on product listings that I don't want to risk. Best Buy and Microcenter no long carry those sockets (understandably)

Help?

Living in the present, for the future, because of the past.

Check second hand market.

Magical Pineapples

there any reason you can't buy the same motherboard again? probably one sitting on ebay ready to go.

Also , how did you determine it was the motherboard?

12 minutes ago, hedgehogpro said:

Microcenter no long carry those sockets (understandably)

Help?

If you can't immediately find one elsewhere, check the website every tuesday. That's when refurbished boards show up and we still get an am3+ every now and then.

3 minutes ago, Rune said:

If you can't immediately find one elsewhere, check the website every tuesday. That's when refurbished boards show up and we still get an am3+ every now and then.

Oh, good to know! Thank you!

Just now, hedgehogpro said:

Oh, good to know! Thank you!

Absolutely. We had a ga-970a-ds3p come in last week and the guy who bought it was ecstatic.

Though, to be sure, newegg still has them around $60 if you don't want something refurb.

1 minute ago, Rune said:

Absolutely. We had a ga-970a-ds3p come in last week and the guy who bought it was ecstatic.

Though, to be sure, newegg still has them around $60 if you don't want something refurb.

I currently have what I understood to be a good one at the time, ASUS M5A97 R2.0, would you happen to have had any good/experience with this type, or recommendations to buy something else? Dude, thanks for the knowledge drop you've gotten me already!

20 minutes ago, hedgehogpro said:

I currently have what I understood to be a good one at the time, ASUS M5A97 R2.0, would you happen to have had any good/experience with this type, or recommendations to buy something else? Dude, thanks for the knowledge drop you've gotten me already!

Never personally owned an AM3+ board but from what used to end up on the clearance wall that one seemed fairly okay. Really at this point I'd recommend upgrading everything though. You'll probably be putting around $50 into a dead platform.

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

GIGABYTE GA-970A-DS3P (rev. 2.0)  is available at Newegg: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128602

It's an OK board

ps. Try to buy something with one of the latest chipsets (northbridge+southbridge) , like 970 + SB 950 (as the motherboard above).

You'll find lots of listings with boards that use older chipsets like 760G + SB710 ... those aren't worth it.

I have myself a gigabyte GA-880GA UD3H  for my phenom II x4 965, which i might sell(i will probably sell it with the cpu and the ram not alone) but i think you can't use it with a FX cpu even with the latest bios. So if i am true maybe you should check compatibility with each chip and be careful what you buy. 

1 minute ago, Settlerteo said:

I have myself a gigabyte GA-880GA UD3H  for my phenom II x4 965, which i might sell(i will probably sell it with the cpu and the ram not alone) but i think you can't use it with a FX cpu even with the latest bios. So if i am true maybe you should check compatibility with each chip and be careful what you buy. 

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-880GA-UD3H-rev-20#support-cpu

8 hours ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Thanks for the link, I found someone with a "step up" ASUS board and hopefully I can talk him down to a good price. Failing that, I think is may well be the best option. Thank you!