Looking for a good phone for mom

max668

Hello all

I dont know much about phones and recently my mom asked me to buy her a new phone. At the moment she is using apple 5s and she is unable to use any apps cause lets face it if she updates to osx12 her phone will stop working or not work as fast as it does now...

I was wondering if you guys/girls could suggest a phone I could by for her other then apple, Im not trying to spend a 1000 dollars for a phone.

Im looking for something good but with out all the bells and whistles with a good camera. Something that would alowe her to use all the apps she wants but not something two fancy.
I looked around and found f1 but Im a total noob so I thought I ask you guys.

Thanks for everything

Judging by the scenario, she probably does not want to explore the ins and outs of Android's capabilities so she will probably want a phone that will provide a fairly smooth transition from the Apple ecosystem, (I do not know your budget at this time so I will suggest the high end options) I recommend the Pixel 2 or S9 since they both have an easy and simple and easy setup and have a significant amount of software polish, and they come with launchers that are easier for a former Apple user to get used to. Now do note this is Android territory most phone live and die by their hardware, and with such a versatile operating system, bells and whistles come out of the box, just do note, many of them have yet to receive an amount of polish that rivals the ones in Apples products.  

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

49 minutes ago, max668 said:

Something that would alowe her to use all the apps she wants

It'd be hard to recommend android as some of the apps she wants to use may not be available.

The iPhone 8 is still a pretty great phone.

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 Ghz  | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 |  PaliT GTX 1050Ti  |  8gb Kingston HyperX Fury @ 2933 Mhz  |  Corsair CX550m  |  1 TB WD Blue HDD

Inside some old case I found lying around.

If your mom is anything like mine, I wouldn't switch to android. It would make her ask me about something that "isn't where it was" every 10 minutes.

I got a product red iPhone 8 for my mom and she's really happy with it. Right now, i'd wait for the XR, but that might depend on your budget.

17 hours ago, bleedblue said:

It'd be hard to recommend android as some of the apps she wants to use may not be available.

The iPhone 8 is still a pretty great phone.

8 hours ago, Spancer said:

If your mom is anything like mine, I wouldn't switch to android. It would make her ask me about something that "isn't where it was" every 10 minutes.

I got a product red iPhone 8 for my mom and she's really happy with it. Right now, i'd wait for the XR, but that might depend on your budget.

You might be right but theres no way apple will get a dollar out of me.  If anything I would buy a second hand apple phone. But never new!
I dont mind her asking me questions. It might take her a wile to learn but she will get it eventually.

18 hours ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Judging by the scenario, she probably does not want to explore the ins and outs of Android's capabilities so she will probably want a phone that will provide a fairly smooth transition from the Apple ecosystem, (I do not know your budget at this time so I will suggest the high end options) I recommend the Pixel 2 or S9 since they both have an easy and simple and easy setup and have a significant amount of software polish, and they come with launchers that are easier for a former Apple user to get used to. Now do note this is Android territory most phone live and die by their hardware, and with such a versatile operating system, bells and whistles come out of the box, just do note, many of them have yet to receive an amount of polish that rivals the ones in Apples products.  

Budget ? something in the range of 400 - 450 dollars
I actually have a S8 and I wouldn't recommend Samsung to anyone. It comes with to much preinstalled bloatware.
I was looking at Xiaomi POCOPHONE F1 128GB and xiaomi nmi a2 but again I dont know anything about phones.

O and she uses aps like messenger, facebook, Chase, and she likes taking pictures so good camera is a plus.
Or better camera then the apple S5 has.