Looking at buying first Mech keyboard, really really ocd about it.

I just found about how good mechanical keyboards are exspecially with cleaning. I'm apparently a real OCD nut with key boards now. I'm looking for a mechanical keyboard under $200 dollars with excellent build quality (no flex, lasts a long time). Also since I'm going to be learning japanese & spanish soon could it possibly have english/japanese/spanish keycaps like the keyboard picture below. Along with exact or similar enter/shift/windows/backspace keys.

Apparently MX browns are the best for an mix of typing and gaming, so have it be mx brown. :P

It would be awesome if it was backlit but is not a priority for me. My apologys for coming off as demanding or sounding demanding.

I got the picture below from TacticalStache who posted it on r/mechanicalkeyboards.

OFFTOPIC: Is there any line divider function, I'm so used to

from bbcode/smf?

Also is the pic below too big, I'll try to resize it and edit it back in if it is. :S

post-51274-0-10886500-1388810338_thumb.j

You could get some keyboard and change the keys with some custom ones that have the Japanese English and Spanish characters on them

There's a LOT of high quality keyboards under $200. You gave yourself a generous budget :D

K70's seem good as they give you plenty of options, but yes you would need to find custom keycaps. Regardless, the total price should still fit under your budget.

You could get some keyboard and change the keys with some custom ones that have the Japanese English and Spanish characters on them

Sweet just a minor question, since theres a lot of different models of keyboards and key caps. Which model has the most custom key caps in production for them. Since I'm looking at the Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8 but I don't know if anyone is making custom key caps for it.

There's a LOT of high quality keyboards under $200. You gave yourself a generous budget :D

K70's seem good as they give you plenty of options, but yes you would need to find custom keycaps. Regardless, the total price should still fit under your budget.

Thanks, I'll go take a look at the K70, brb. :)

Sweet just a minor question, since theres a lot of different models of keyboards and key caps. Which model has the most custom key caps in production for them. Since I'm looking at the Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8 but I don't know if anyone is making custom key caps for it.

Oh wait sorry, you use to be able to get custom caps (pick what you want on them) but I guess you can't now

get the max keyboard blackbird, theres literally no use for numpad besides taking up space

The only reason why I recommend the K70 only is because thats the only one  I own HAHAHAHA

but yeah just look up some mechanical keyboards and read up (or listen to Linus's video reviews :3) to find some extravagent keyboards. 

Perhaps limit your search to keyboards with custom keycaps already existing?

Not to be way off but I have the k95 and well I love the cherry mx reds on it.

CPU: i7 4770k@4.3Ghz GPU: GTX 780ti Motherboard: ROG maximus vi formula PSU: Evga supernova 1000w Platinum

Case: NZXT Switch 810 Memory: g.skill ripjaws X Cooler: Corsair h100i(getting custom loop when i get money next) Storage: Samsung 840 evo 250gb Keyboard: Corsair K95 Mouse: SteelSeries Rival

The thing is even though you get tjose keycaps its not going to change the language the keyboard types in

Also no switch is best its all about preference.

i suggest trying out all the switches if possible. If it's worth the investment, buy one of those Cherry MX switch tester thingies, though those are like $10-15 USD for only like 4-6 switches ._.

Or just assume which one seems right for you. OR BUY THEM ALL.
But yes, you will need to input the languages yourself. Keycaps are only for visual aid, if you didn't know. 

get the max keyboard blackbird, theres literally no use for numpad besides taking up space

...false. I can't buy a keyboard without one. I use it on a daily basis. Ever tried putting sales figures into a spreadsheet without a number pad?

You might want to try Ducky? They make keycaps for their keyboards, and I believe they come in various languages.

http://www.duckychannel.com.tw/en/keycaps.html

This one only shows Chinese/English but I've seen Thai as well.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

...false. I can't buy a keyboard without one. I use it on a daily basis. Ever tried putting sales figures into a spreadsheet without a number pad?

You might want to try Ducky? They make keycaps for their keyboards, and I believe they come in various languages.

http://www.duckychannel.com.tw/en/keycaps.html

This one only shows Chinese/English but I've seen Thai as well.

theres a number pad below the f keys, i type really fast and have NEVER used the numpad on my keyboard in like 10 years or so of using computers

theres a number pad below the f keys, i type really fast and have NEVER used the numpad on my keyboard in like 10 years or so of using computers

I'm aware of that. It's no where near as good. You can't (unless you have massive hands) reach from one end to the other as you can on a number pad.

Just saying it's not a useless feature by any means. You probably just don't use it in the capacity it's meant for.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Sadly one of my games I play a lot requires numpad for one of its main features.

i suggest trying out all the switches if possible. If it's worth the investment, buy one of those Cherry MX switch tester thingies, though those are like $10-15 USD for only like 4-6 switches ._.

Or just assume which one seems right for you. OR BUY THEM ALL.

But yes, you will need to input the languages yourself. Keycaps are only for visual aid, if you didn't know. 

There are testers oh man I have to buy one of them, thanks for the tip. How does changing the input languages work do you have to go inside of windows or the keyboard to change its settings? Or does it vary between each keyboard?

The only reason why I recommend the K70 only is because thats the only one  I own HAHAHAHA

but yeah just look up some mechanical keyboards and read up (or listen to Linus's video reviews :3) to find some extravagent keyboards. 

Perhaps limit your search to keyboards with custom keycaps already existing?

The k70 seems like it functions fine but to be honest it looks pretty ugly. With the thick plastic(?) wrist pad, the lack of plastic at the sides like you see on most keyboards & the keys look like they're floating in mid air.

I would recommend a DAS Keyboard.  It comes in either blue or brown switches which would fit your needs, and the keys (as most other keyboards) are completely interchangeable. 

http://shop.daskeyboard.com/collections/products/products/das-keyboard-professional-model-s

I personally use MX Red's and like them, but if I had to buy a new keyboard I would either go Browns or Blacks.  A little more resistance would be perfect for me.

Corsair 700D | ASUS Z97-A | Intel Core i7 4790K | Corsair H110 | EVGA GTX 980Ti SOC ACX | Patriot 1600LL - 4 x 4GB |

Crucial C300 128GB SSD | Kingston HyperX 240GB SSD | Western Digital Black 1TB | Corsair AX850 Pro Gold | ASUS Xonar DS |

The metal plating sold me for hte K70, but I like that metallic look. plus i just took off the plastic wrist rest.

DAS and ducky are really nice too, or so I hear. I want one of their keyboards, and perhaps I'll pick one up some other time.
Steelseries and Logitech seems to be good, but I might need someone to back that up. 

If I remember correctly, you would have to go to windows control panel to add more language inputs.

You could look into a WASD v2 they are solid boards and you can get custom caps so you could do any language you wanted, at least on the caps.

Have a look at a Ducky. They are simple looking and don't have unnecessary gimmicks attached to them.

With many models and custom caps available it's a good choice and fits the budget.

If you look at a Ducky Shine 3, a downside is the short cable that's only 1.2m.

"don't have unnecessary gimmicks attached to them." what about all the LED lighting?

Backlighting on keys isn't a gimmick, it's essential in low light situations.

Many people game with the only light source being a monitor, you going to tell those people it's a gimmick?

Having LCD's, unreachable and genital wart esque cluster of Macro's is unnecessary.

Ever tried using a poor quality screen fitted laptop at night and could barely see the keyboard?

Ducky backlighting does way more than just back light a key

And yes because thats usually bright enough for what your talking about, also if your using a PC a lot you should really learn how touch type there are many benefits

nope! :P

As for the keycaps you can goto a place like WASDkeyboards.com and get full keycap sets in whatever color combonations, and text you want. ( $50 )

"Her tsundere ratio is 8:2. So don't think you could see her dere side so easily."

Planing to make you debut here on the forums? Read Me First!

unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society

As for the keycaps you can goto a place like WASDkeyboards.com and get full keycap sets in whatever color combonations, and text you want. ( $50 )

Oh man.. that is the best site ever, just a minor question where is the english layout? Also are they laser printed or just stickers, do they allow for the backlights to pass through or not?

Oh man.. that is the best site ever, just a minor question where is the english layout? Also are they laser printed or just stickers, do they allow for the backlights to pass through or not?

They are laser etched or engraved I think they also have UV coating now too

From a recent email newsletter:

"We have switched our keycap printing method to UV printing. This new method allows us to get more contrast in our printing and allows us to put a protective UV clear coat across the whole top face of the key. This coat is extremely durable and protects the legend and the key face itself to prevent "key shine." The coat has a nice matte, slightly textured finish to give the keys a nice look and feel."

What @TheProfosist said.. They work pretty well on my Ducky Shine 3, and look nice doing it.

"Her tsundere ratio is 8:2. So don't think you could see her dere side so easily."

Planing to make you debut here on the forums? Read Me First!

unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society