Corsair CX650M or Cougar GX-F 550W

Eikeegi

Hello. My computer needs new psu. Right now there are 2 options. Cougar GX-F 550W or Corsair CX650M. Both of these are around 70 euros. Witch one of these is better for my system? I want to buy psu what has little bit higher wattage than I need, because if I would upgrade pc, i wouldn't need new psu again. I use my computer every day, for gaming, about 3 hours/day monday-friday and 5-7 hours/day during weekends. I have heared that psu will lose capability of putting out power over time, is 550 watts enough for long investment?

Pc specs are here:

CPU:Intel Core i5 4570S

GPU:MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

MOBO:B85M-D3H

RAM: 8GB

Storage:

119GB Samsung SSD 840 PRO Series 

465GB Western Digital Blue

931GB Seagate Barracuda

I'd pick the corsair cx650m, because their power supplies are very good and higher wattage.

I didn't even know cougar makes power supplies and never heard anyone recommend them.

btw you should get a better cpu

3 minutes ago, Eikeegi said:

Hello. My computer needs new psu. Right now there are 2 options. Cougar GX-F 550W or Corsair CX650M. Both of these are around 70 euros. Witch one of these is better for my system? I want to buy psu what has little bit higher wattage than I need, because if I would upgrade pc, i wouldn't need new psu again. I use my computer every day, for gaming, about 3 hours/day monday-friday and 5-7 hours/day during weekends. I have heared that psu will lose capability of putting out power over time, is 550 watts enough for long investment?

Pc specs are here:

CPU:Intel Core i5 4570S

GPU:MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

MOBO:B85M-D3H

RAM: 8GB

Storage:

119GB Samsung SSD 840 PRO Series 

465GB Western Digital Blue

931GB Seagate Barracuda

Well neither of those is a unit I was say is a great unit it you want to upgrade to a system that will actually demand 650W, I.E a 1080 Ti and HEDT CPU. So keep the 550W and stick to normal hardware and you'll be fine.

The CX450/550M is a fine unit for your build. 450W can comfortably power an i7 8700K and GTX 1080 with overclocking, although supposedly the CXM may have issues with modern Nvidia GPUs due to topology.

1 minute ago, Cyberrex said:

I'd pick the corsair cx650m, because their power supplies are very good and higher wattage.

I didn't even know cougar makes power supplies and never heard anyone recommend them.

Cougar has a few good units.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

550W isn't a little more than you need, it's nearly 3 times as much as you need for a 1060 system. 

The GX-F has more connectors (2x 2x8-pin PCIe, so you can actually run multiple GPU properly), it's quieter, it has better regulation and lower ripple, it uses a better fan, has longer hold up time and has a longer warranty. For the same price, it's a much better deal. 

:)

I cannot find is 550w and 650w peak or continious wattage.

Just now, Eikeegi said:

Continuous for both. 

:)

12 hours ago, Eikeegi said:

Hello. My computer needs new psu. Right now there are 2 options. Cougar GX-F 550W or Corsair CX650M. Both of these are around 70 euros. Witch one of these is better for my system?

Of course the way better Cougar GX-F.

The CX-M doesn't hold a candle to the Cougar in this Case, as it is between TX-M and RMx with beeing closer to the RMx.

12 hours ago, Cyberrex said:

Never ever ever go by brand. That's just stupid.

As every brand has higher end and lower end stuff.

I did write something about the GX-F here (in German):

https://www.planet3dnow.de/vbulletin/threads/430900-User-Review-Cougar-GX-F-550W-by-Stefan-Payne

And its a pretty neat unit.

80plus Gold certified, Corsair Type 4 Cable compatible. 

And here's another Review

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=547

In short its a pretty neat unit without any big downsides, for the Price...

Fan is "just" OK though and rotates on the upper and, has slight Motor Noise.

Nothing too bad though.

So it would be better if you'd look up the units and not rate them by brand!

Especially EVGA has a ton of crap in their lineup and only a couple of OKish units - that fail to compete with the Competition...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

12 hours ago, Eikeegi said:

If its not cheap crap from a really bad company like L&C, it usually is Continuous.

The Cougar GX-F is even rated for 50°C Temperature, according to the box.

Hello. I am about to buy new psu for my computer-Cougar GX-F 550W. Is 550 watts peak or continious wattage, I can't find it anywhere.

6 minutes ago, Eikeegi said:

Hello. I am about to buy new psu for my computer-Cougar GX-F 550W. Is 550 watts peak or continious wattage, I can't find it anywhere.

Continuous is the norm with somewhat decent products, Peak only with garbage that you must not buy anyway...

So it is Continuous

19 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Of course the way better Cougar GX-F.

The CX-M doesn't hold a candle to the Cougar in this Case, as it is between TX-M and RMx with beeing closer to the RMx.

Never ever ever go by brand. That's just stupid.

As every brand has higher end and lower end stuff.

I did write something about the GX-F here (in German):

https://www.planet3dnow.de/vbulletin/threads/430900-User-Review-Cougar-GX-F-550W-by-Stefan-Payne

And its a pretty neat unit.

80plus Gold certified, Corsair Type 4 Cable compatible. 

And here's another Review

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=547

In short its a pretty neat unit without any big downsides, for the Price...

Fan is "just" OK though and rotates on the upper and, has slight Motor Noise.

Nothing too bad though.

So it would be better if you'd look up the units and not rate them by brand!

Especially EVGA has a ton of crap in their lineup and only a couple of OKish units - that fail to compete with the Competition...

And the Cougar looks a lot nicer as a bonus. ( I like to look at my power supplies. )

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AX1600i owner. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_GMev0EwK37J3zZL98zIqF-OSBuHlFEHmrc_SPuYsjs/edit?usp=sharing My WIP Power Supply Guide.

2 hours ago, QuantumElement said:

And the Cougar looks a lot nicer as a bonus. ( I like to look at my power supplies. )

Compared to its predecessor, no.

Because they were powder coated...

The newer ones are not.

And Powder Coated is the best =)