New RIG Appraisal - What do you Think?

Hi LTT Folks!

I created a new rig with as much performance for 1080p@144hz / 1440p@60hz per buck as I could and I want to know what you ladies and gents think. I'll be using Euro's as a general estimate for the parts but do keep in mind im from Bulgaria so there is about a 5-20% on top for VAT in comparison to other countries.

Motherboard: MSI Z370-A Pro - 110 Euro's

PSU: Bitfenix Whisper M 650W - 97 Euro's ( I would have opted for a 500 - 550W Power supply, but none were in Storage)

CPU: Intel Core i5-8400 - 193 Euro's

GPU: MSI GTX 1070Ti Gaming 8Gb - 522 Euro

RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury DIMM 8GB@2400Mhz - Two of these, total 16Gb@2400Mhz - 178 Euro's

Case: Fractal Design - Focus G Midi tower - 50 euro's

SSD: Crucial MX500 with 500gb - 86 Euro's

Total cost: 1 236 Euro's

Let me know what you think.

Cheers,

Jordan

That looks pretty solid! You might be able to save some money by getting a B360 motherboard instead but everything else looks good.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

I like it. The only thing, I would go with i7 if it was me, but still that build looks very good.

10 minutes ago, J.b091 said:

I like it. The only thing, I would go with i7 if it was me, but still that build looks very good.

Thanks mate. Me too honestly, but they do come in a bit too pricey so i opted in for an i5

5 minutes ago, J.Scrulls said:

Thanks mate. Me too honestly, but they do come in a bit too pricey so i opted in for an i5

You will be still fine with that i5. So don't worry mate :)

Not a huge issue but you could look for a 3000 - 3200 kit of ram depending on the price difference.

Looks great to me, only thing is, I got a 144hrz 1080p panel, and paired it with an i7 8700k and a gtx 1080, on ultra I don't get the level of performance I wanted, FC5 I think about 110 fps, forza hor 3 about the same. That said, if you turn down a few settings and don't play games that are hardware busters like those, (e-sports) you will be fine :)

1 minute ago, lee32uk said:

Not a huge issue but you could look for a 3000 - 3200 kit of ram depending on the price difference.

Lee I don't think that goes with his performance per dollar thing xD

Just now, lee32uk said:

I was going for a Corsair Vengeance@3000Mhz 16gb 2x8 kit, but they told me they didn't have it in stock. It was only like 15 euro's ontop of the kingston's I got. I talked it out with the vendor, turns out i was just too unlucky as the last kit was just sold out.

1 minute ago, owen_pi said:

Looks great to me, only thing is, I got a 144hrz 1080p panel, and paired it with an i7 8700k and a gtx 1080, on ultra I don't get the level of performance I wanted, FC5 I think about 110 fps, forza hor 3 about the same. That said, if you turn down a few settings and don't play games that are hardware busters like those, (e-sports) you will be fine :)

Indeed, I am prepared for that. I just built it for my girlfriend as its her first PC and she knows nothing, so I kinda kept that in mind that she will be playing mostly on Ultra, slight AA, v-sync and most reflections off at 1440p@60hz 

2 minutes ago, owen_pi said:

Lee I don't think that goes with his performance per dollar thing xD

Depends on the price. Just because it is a faster kit doesn't always mean it is more expensive. For example Overclockers in the UK had a 4000MHz kit on sale a few months back that was cheaper than any of the 3000MHz kits.

Just now, owen_pi said:

lol alright, what is she coming from? Her old rig I mean

ooh.. I dont think we could use that thing for anything but a cupholder at this point.

Old Dell Laptop that has dual core intel CPU@1.7 or 1.9 Ghz, uses the integrated GPU which is some 2011 standard and with only 2GB of RAM. Its hard drive is the worst part, Last time I recorded 11 minutes complete boot-up time.

You are right, but I got my 2400 ddr4 16gb t force from newegg at about 129.99

it works great :)

LOL That is JUST the same as my bros PC, same boot time and old i5 4200u. Duel core O: Same specs but a bit newer, and 8 gigs of ram. I can tell you about the hard drive issue

Is the disk sitting at 100% all the time? We had to disable windows update and superfetch.

1 minute ago, owen_pi said:

Is the disk sitting at 100% all the time? We had to disable windows update and superfetch.

Same! Absolutely the same! And even after that, it was super slow! I think that those Dell's have a defective hard dive by default straight outa the factory