Feedback/aid requiest on new gaming pc

Go to solution Solved by m0n4rchy,
Just now, Dlanor said:

even with overclocking to 5ghz? I went with the I7-8700k and Coolermaster calc/outervision say recommend psu wattage 691W.

I read that both coolermaster and outervision already have a safety margin so I could go with 700W?

I remember watching a Hardware Unboxed video, and they said that even with a ~5.0GHz 8700K, 1080 TI, and at least (sorry, been a while since I've watched it) 16GB of RAM, among other things, it consumed 450W of power.

Hello all,

after 10 year of playing on a gtx 280 and I figured with the prices of the 1080ti dropping  that it might be a good time to build a new pc.

I would like to re-use  my old case a CM Trooper and CPU Liquid Cooler : neptopn 240m for my new build as they have not seen much use and still do the job.

Now I did not want to buy a RTX 2080 an managed to get myself a new AORUS GTX 1080 Ti on sale.

I'm struggling with Motherboard and  CPU though watching ton of videos hasn't brought me any closer to a decision. Everytime I think I reached a decision I read something new such as AORUS GTX not fitting in AORUS gamimg 7 ?

Now RAM will be depeneded on the board so I did not look into it yet, I don't care for RGB on the ram though

Overview  PC I'm thinking about:

Case: CM Trooper  the case has 4 Coolers in it

CPU: Intel Core i5-8600K or Intel i7-8700k?

I have seen my charts and just wanted to now the personal expierence of you guys if difference is noticeable enough to make it worth the extra 200€

CPU-Cooling: neptopn 240m

GPU: AORUS GTX 1080 Ti  (Purchased) 650.-€

Motherboard: Gigabyte Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 7 or ROG MAXIMUS X HERO ( are equally priced where I live)

The problem what I have with the Aorus is I have read that there are issues with Aorus Z370 and the Aorus GTX 1080ti not fitting, I called customer support and they said that the GTX 1080ti was revised and there should no longer be a problem, if so I need to contact support. Can anyone confirm that it has been fixed?

Any reason I should consider another board?

RAM:  16 GB should be enough for now just want the best performance for either of the boards  RGB is nice to have

Storage: Samsung 970 Evo M.2 500GB

Samsung 860 EVO, 1 TB SSD (Purchased) 160€,-

POWER: Coolermaster recommend 631W min any recommendations I'm tending towards Be Quit not haven't looked into which one

Thanks you in advance for your aid :)

Budget between 1400-1800€ max

location Netherlands/Germany

Edited by Dlanor
forgot budget and location

15 minutes ago, Dlanor said:

Hello all,

after 10 year of playing on a gtx 280 and I figured with the prices of the 1080ti dropping  that it might be a good time to build a new pc.

I would like to re-use  my old case a CM Trooper and CPU Liquid Cooler : neptopn 240m for my new build as they have not seen much use and still do the job.

Now I did not want to buy a RTX 2080 an managed to get myself a new AORUS GTX 1080 Ti on sale.

I'm struggling with Motherboard and  CPU though watching ton of videos hasn't brought me any closer to a decision. Everytime I think I reached a decision I read something new such as AORUS GTX not fitting in AORUS gamimg 7 ?

Now RAM will be depeneded on the board so I did not look into it yet, I don't care for RGB on the ram though

Overview  PC I'm thinking about:

Case: CM Trooper  the case has 4 Coolers in it

CPU: Intel Core i5-8600K or Intel i7-8700k?

I have seen my charts and just wanted to now the personal expierence of you guys if difference is noticeable enough to make it worth the extra 200€

CPU-Cooling: neptopn 240m

GPU: AORUS GTX 1080 Ti  (Purchased)

Motherboard: Gigabyte Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 7 or ROG MAXIMUS X HERO ( are equally priced where I live)

The problem what I have with the Aorus is I have read that there are issues with Aorus Z370 and the Aorus GTX 1080ti not fitting, I called customer support and they said that the GTX 1080ti was revised and there should no longer be a problem, if so I need to contact support. Can anyone confirm that it has been fixed?

Any reason I should consider another board?

RAM:  16 GB should be enough for now just want the best performance for either of the boards  RGB is nice to have

Storage: Samsung 970 Evo M.2 500GB

Samsung 860 EVO, 1 TB SSD (Purchased)

POWER: Coolermaster recommend 631W min any recommendations I'm tending towards Be Quit not haven't looked into which one

Thanks you in advance for your aid :)

Depends. What's your budget and where do you live country wise?

If you got a budget, go for 8700k, ROG Maximus X Hero, pick RAM of your choice, 16GB 3000Mhz will be plenty. PSU is up to you, I would personally go with something like Corsair RM850.

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

11 minutes ago, ZeouLs said:

we need a budget and your location though

added the location

4 minutes ago, PopsicleHustler said:

If you got a budget, go for 8700k, ROG Maximus X Hero, pick RAM of your choice, 16GB 3000Mhz will be plenty. PSU is up to you, I would personally go with something like Corsair RM850.

why would you pick the ROG maximus x hero over MSI  or asrock? I read that the AORUS has the better VRM?  Not critizing just wish to know why :).   thanks for the tip on the PSU

4 hours ago, PopsicleHustler said:

Shouldn't a 750W PSU be sufficient?

Just now, Dlanor said:

Shouldn't a 750W PSU be sufficient?

For all of those parts, 750W is more than enough.

1 minute ago, m0n4rchy said:

For all of those parts, 750W is more than enough.

even with overclocking to 5ghz? I went with the I7-8700k and Coolermaster calc/outervision say recommend psu wattage 691W.

I read that both coolermaster and outervision already have a safety margin so I could go with 700W?

Just now, Dlanor said:

I remember watching a Hardware Unboxed video, and they said that even with a ~5.0GHz 8700K, 1080 TI, and at least (sorry, been a while since I've watched it) 16GB of RAM, among other things, it consumed 450W of power.

I didn't find the video you mentioned m0n4rchy but as but you and cooler master say that 678w is enough see  image I guess ill go either with a 700w or 750 w depending on what i'll find

psu.JPG