Looking for New Phone with IR Emission

Go to solution Solved by GrandNebSmada,

Honestly id just upgrade to whatever you like and just keep the old phone for your development. Wipe it and put a new battery in since that's the last phone that samsung supported removable batteries.

Personally id go for this because now you can have that device dedicated solely to your projects.

Hey guys,

I'm currently looking to update my Samsung Galaxy S5 that I've had for a few years. However, the reason why I've held on to it for so long is that it's one of the few phones I've seen that has an infrared LED built into it. This feature has been a great help over the years for my various robotic projects, as I can use it as a universal remote control.

The problem is, it's starting to get old; the battery is dying, it overheats, it crashes frequently, I'd like to update to the most recent android version and be able to watch full hd videos without my hands melting.

And so, I'm looking for a new, modern phone that has IR emission available.

Thanks for your advice.

Honestly id just upgrade to whatever you like and just keep the old phone for your development. Wipe it and put a new battery in since that's the last phone that samsung supported removable batteries.

Personally id go for this because now you can have that device dedicated solely to your projects.

On 18/09/2018 at 4:34 PM, Radioactive Snowman said:

Pretty sure the huawei p20/p20 pro and mate 10 both have IR Blasters

Hmm, I've gone through the product details, can't find anything about IR. However, it doesn't have an audio jack, which is a big no-no for me.

Did Samsung remove the IR blaster from the latest Samsung phones?

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

12 hours ago, Semi Truck said:

Hmm, I've gone through the product details, can't find anything about IR. However, it doesn't have an audio jack, which is a big no-no for me.

Honor 10 has both headphone jack and the IR blaster. 

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold