How many watts ?Which PSU?

GOD MAN
Go to solution Solved by STRMfrmXMN,
4 hours ago, Edgehill said:

Typically they do estimate high, but if you factor in an overclock and where PSUs are most effecient (around 50% load) they provide a starting point.

Some PSUs are most efficient around 50, some 40, some 30, some 60, some 70... don't buy a PSU based on how efficient it might be at the middle wattage. Just buy a unit that makes sense for your system that you can afford.

5 hours ago, Aaxer said:

https://in.pcpartpicker.com/list/rMdjvn 

Will 450 Watt power supply be enough for this build

Which PSU should I get?

Antec NE550M, Cooler master MWE 550 or Corsair CX 450

All are 80+ bronze 

Also will be OC'ing the R5 1600 

The CX450 of those by far.

yes, 450watt is enough for 1 gpu system.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

You should be fine but 550w is not usually that much more expensive. Of the units listed the CX450 is the best

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

4 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

yes, 450watt is enough for 1 gpu system.

Even tho it's one GPU the TDP of the card is 250W, same has a 1080ti 

8 minutes ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

You should be fine but 550w is not usually that much more expensive. Of the units listed the CX450 is the best

Ik that but in my region there are no good 550W PSU available 

1 minute ago, Aaxer said:

Ik that but in my region there are no good 550W PSU available 

Of those options get the CX 450

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

She/they 

Just now, seon123 said:

No. It's a great way to waste time. It's useless and overestimates by a ton. 

+1, PCPP wattage calculator is a good estimate for a system that's been moderately overclocked, just use that

She/they 

8 minutes ago, Aaxer said:

Are these even accurate ? Many people say not to refer these calculators

Typically they do estimate high, but if you factor in an overclock and where PSUs are most effecient (around 50% load) they provide a starting point.

2 hours ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

Of those options get the CX 450

I will be overclocking the Ryzen 5 to at least 3.7 Ghz If lucky enough then to 3.9 Ghz

will the 450W able to handle such overclock 

Wont be overclocking the GPU as it is already heavily overclocked out of the box 

Maybe even consider undervolting to save some power 

3 hours ago, Edgehill said:

PSUs being most efficient at 50% is often incorrect, and even when it *is* correct, it doesn't really matter, as efficiency from 50% to 100% load is often between 1 and 3% different...

Just some bapo nerd from 'Straya

PCs:

Main: i7 7700K (5GHz 1.4V) | ASUS GTX 1080 TURBO | 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz (3200MHz CL14 1.365V) | ASUS PRIME Z270-AR | Thermaltake SMART 750P | Coolermaster Seidon 240P | Acer Predator X34 (34" 1440p144Hz GSync IPS)

Secondary: i5 3570K | Intel HD4000 (RIP Sapphire HD 6850) | 2x2GB + 1x4GB Kingston 1600MHz | ASUS P8Z68-V LX | Corsair CX650 | Coolermaster Hyper D92 | Sony Bravia VPL-VW80 (108" 1080p60Hz projector)

Laptop: i7 7700HQ | GTX 1060 6GB MXM | 2x16GB SODIMM | OEM Acer Motherboard | 17.3" Screen (1080p60Hz IPS)

iMac: Core 2 Duo T7400 | ATI Radeon X1600 | 2x1GB 667MHz DDR2 | 20" Screen

This website is great for choosing psu wattage;

https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

No, its not. Its garbage as its overestimating the power consumption by 50% or more.

Try this:
RX480 (1330, Red Devil)

8 Sticks of Memory

i7-3930K

SSD
HDD (7200rpm) 

And look what comes out.

What I measured with Heaven and Prime Running is ~350W. And I used it for a good amount of time with a 400W PSU.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

4 hours ago, Aaxer said:

Are these even accurate ? Many people say not to refer these calculators 

No, because they have a financial incentive to overestimate by a mile, they are as inacurate as it gets.

Google and your brain is more than enough. Just add the TDP of CPU and GPU and you get a good estimate...

That thing estimates HDDs with 25W - wich is only the case when the motor starts spinning.

Oh dear...

Not again with the 50% Bullshit.

Just look at Reviews that have more than 3 points they measure and look at the Efficiency.

Between 20 and 80% we are talking about 1, maybe 1,5% DIfference. Yea...

Another thing I debunked a couple of times is the 50% Claim, that is not universally true, there are a ton of PSU that are measured to have the peak efficiency around 30% so alone from that standpoint its wrong.

And at 230VAC, the Efficiency is very flat. Often you have a difference of less than half a percent between 30 and 60 or 70% load. Its that flat.

So its false.

Just now, Stefan Payne said:

No, because they have a financial incentive to overestimate by a mile, they are as inacurate as it gets.

Google and your brain is more than enough. Just add the TDP of CPU and GPU and you get a good estimate...

That thing estimates HDDs with 25W - wich is only the case when the motor starts spinning.

TDP means the maximum power consumption of the component right ? That means even If I do a little bit of overclocking the power consumption wont pass the TDP of the chip ? , Correct me If I am wrong  

Just now, Aaxer said:

TDP means the maximum power consumption of the component right ? That means even If I do a little bit of overclocking the power consumption wont pass the TDP of the chip ? , Correct me If I am wrong  

That is the Industry standard, yes.

Or at least it is formulated as "with useful software".

Sadly with newer Intel Processors that is not the case anymore. So with them its at "base clock", the Turbo can violate the Industry Standard (so they shouldn't have called it TDP and stuck with the Industry Standard)...

So your assumption is correct and you don't need no PSU Calculator with that knowledge ;)
You can also look at what the systems with the Card consume. 

And be careful to read what the Power Consumption means!
If it is the card alone or the whole system!
Some sites measure only the Card, some the whole system...

Some PSUs are most efficient around 50, some 40, some 30, some 60, some 70... don't buy a PSU based on how efficient it might be at the middle wattage. Just buy a unit that makes sense for your system that you can afford.

5 hours ago, Aaxer said:

https://in.pcpartpicker.com/list/rMdjvn 

Will 450 Watt power supply be enough for this build

Which PSU should I get?

Antec NE550M, Cooler master MWE 550 or Corsair CX 450

All are 80+ bronze 

Also will be OC'ing the R5 1600 

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

1 hour ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Forgive me If this a stupid question lol , But if the system runs tries the consume more than 450W(is that even possible), Will that damage the system or it will just shut down, The Pcpartpicker shows the max power consumption to be 420W, Is that too close to the actual rating  of PSU i.e 450W

(sorry for my bad engrish)

1 minute ago, Aaxer said:

Forgive me If this a stupid question lol , But if the system runs tries the consume more than 450W(is that even possible), Will that damage the system or it will just shut down, The Pcpartpicker shows the max power consumption to be 420W, Is that too close to the actual rating  of PSU i.e 450W

It won't try to consume more than 450W. 

Any PSU that isn't total crap (and many that are) have protections to keep them from killing stuff when they're overloaded. 

:)

10 minutes ago, Aaxer said:

A 580 and 1600 will never demand even 350W. So no, that won't be a problem for you. That said, most PSUs have protections in place that will shut the PSU off/restart it if it gets too out of hand, I.E. a 750W unit being demanded to handle the load of an overclocked 7920X + three GTX 1080 Tis, which would demand an at least 1200W PSU, would shut off somewhere close to 800W because the unit couldn't handle it.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

1 hour ago, Aaxer said:

Forgive me If this a stupid question lol , But if the system runs tries the consume more than 450W(is that even possible)

Let me say it this way: If you want your system to survive longer than lets say 5minutes, you won't be anywhere near that.

While I disagree with the other people, it is possible to push your system to consume more than 450W, it is highly unlikely that it will survive the day you try that...

That said, for normal every day usage, we are talking about 200-350W.

So its not impossible to get over the 450W, it will however destroy your system anyway, so you won't do that, right? :)

1 hour ago, Aaxer said:

, Will that damage the system or it will just shut down, The Pcpartpicker shows the max power consumption to be 420W, Is that too close to the actual rating  of PSU i.e 450W

The PC should shut down, when the protection are working and the PC demands more than 450W, wich is very unlikely with your setup (well, except you connect a toaster to the PSU, that's a different story).

But with using as intended, that isn't really possible. You have to increase the voltage of the CPU to suicidal levels to get that far...

But in general, I wouldn't really recommend OC with Ryzen due to the really good boost mechanism...

21 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

A 580 and 1600 will never demand even 350W. So no, that won't be a problem for you.

But what about other components like mobo, ram storage etc? How much power would they consume ?

19 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

While I disagree with the other people, it is possible to push your system to consume more than 450W, it is highly unlikely that it will survive the day you try that...

So it is possible to surpass the TDP of the chip by overclocking , any idea on how much power will the r5 1600 consume at like 3.9Ghz at 1.35V ? I found the power consumption of the nitro+ rx 580 to be around 240W under load.

2 minutes ago, Aaxer said:

But what about other components like mobo, ram storage etc? How much power would they consume ?

So it is possible to surpass the TDP of the chip by overclocking , any idea on how much power will the r5 1600 consume at like 3.9Ghz at 1.35V ? I found the power consumption of the nitro+ rx 580 to be around 240W under load.

They don't consume damn near anything, which is why I don't factor it into your system's power draw unless you have like 10 hard drives, which do consume a fair bit of power on their own.

Your system's power draw will be similar to mine, just a little bit less because your chip has two fewer cores.

https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/112530-strmfrmxmn/?status=182458&type=status&page=2

2 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

They don't consume damn near anything, which is why I don't factor it into your system's power draw unless you have like 10 hard drives, which do consume a fair bit of power on their own.

Your system's power draw will be similar to mine, just a little bit less because your chip has two fewer cores.

https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/112530-strmfrmxmn/?status=182458&type=status&page=2

I see, guess I'll get the cx 450 then, anyways thanks for your help and everyone else who replied 

I'll post by build log in a few weeks maybe xD