Zephyrus M vs Razer Blade

So I wanted to get the Zephyrus gm501 1070 edition for gaming at home and taking to school, but I realized that the battery life ain't gonna do it. So my question is: should I get the razer blade 15 2018 instead? pricier, of course, but has about 5+ hours of usability when not gaming. What you guys recommend?

Thanks!

Bepis

BEPIS

Bepis BEPIS

BEPIS Bepis

BEEEEEEEEPIS

Razer stuff just breaks rather than running out of power, so that's an even worse choice imo

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

If you're going to be using it on the go I'd recommend the Razer Blade or the Gigabyte Aero 15x.  The Zephyrus is an awesome machine for gaming, but it does lack some of the on the go versatility.

9 minutes ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

If you're going to be using it on the go I'd recommend the Razer Blade or the Gigabyte Aero 15x.  The Zephyrus is an awesome machine for gaming, but it does lack some of the on the go versatility.

Wow. Glad to have you here. I mean but the 15x is just on the pricier side of things

Bepis

BEPIS

Bepis BEPIS

BEPIS Bepis

BEEEEEEEEPIS

Just now, Yifti said:

Wow. Glad to have you here. I mean but the 15x is just on the pricier side of things

11 minutes ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

I mean it's 300£ more for a lack of another 1TB SSD and only thing more is the battery.

Bepis

BEPIS

Bepis BEPIS

BEPIS Bepis

BEEEEEEEEPIS

1 minute ago, Yifti said:

I mean it's 300£ more for a lack of another 1TB SSD and only thing more is the battery.

And I'll need to buy an external hard drive which is more money and another thing to carry around.

Bepis

BEPIS

Bepis BEPIS

BEPIS Bepis

BEEEEEEEEPIS

2 minutes ago, Yifti said:

And I'll need to buy an external hard drive which is more money and another thing to carry around.

2 minutes ago, Yifti said:

16 minutes ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

Which is better in your opinion?

Bepis

BEPIS

Bepis BEPIS

BEPIS Bepis

BEEEEEEEEPIS

26 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

Razer stuff just breaks rather than running out of power, so that's an even worse choice imo

What is better the aero 15x or the blade? I know Razer products aren't great, apart from their laptops, and from what I've heard especially the new 15 blade. So what u saying?

Bepis

BEPIS

Bepis BEPIS

BEPIS Bepis

BEEEEEEEEPIS

1 hour ago, Yifti said:

Which is better in your opinion?

Depends on what exactly you're looking to do, I'd be petty happy with either the Blade 15 2018 or the 15X.

13 minutes ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

Depends on what exactly you're looking to do, I'd be petty happy with either the Blade 15 2018 or the 15X.

Gaming but also work. I am mainly thinking about the Razer since I heard that you need to be lucky with the 15x especially in the screen and it's gonna be hard returning it since a friend is bringing it to me from another country.

Bepis

BEPIS

Bepis BEPIS

BEPIS Bepis

BEEEEEEEEPIS

Razer laptops have trash quality

Gigabyte Aero 15 with LM+undervolt. Or MSI GS65 with LM+undervolt if you don't mind slightly worse build quality and poor upgradability

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

13 minutes ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Razer laptops have trash quality

Gigabyte Aero 15 with LM+undervolt. Or MSI GS65 with LM+undervolt if you don't mind slightly worse build quality and poor upgradability

1. The msi is pricey, more then I would like to pay. 2. I heard that you need to be lucky with the aero. Since a friend is bringing it to me from the UK, returning will be hard.

Bepis

BEPIS

Bepis BEPIS

BEPIS Bepis

BEEEEEEEEPIS

33 minutes ago, Yifti said:

2. I heard that you need to be lucky with the aero

That's quite true, but QC laptops nowdays is kinda hit or miss

Maybe @TLCH723 can explain more on this issue

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

7 minutes ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Guess I will wait for him?

Bepis

BEPIS

Bepis BEPIS

BEPIS Bepis

BEEEEEEEEPIS

3 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

I guess not. I am probably going for the aero 15x though it's pricier.

Bepis

BEPIS

Bepis BEPIS

BEPIS Bepis

BEEEEEEEEPIS

People mostly complain about keyboard, backlight bleed, and driver/software issues. I dont have keyboard and blacklight bleed. I rarely have driver/software issues, probably like once a month or so. Similar to what my desktop. The issue I have is RAM incompatibility. It is picky on the RAM. 

Tbh, I think people who complain make up like 80% of the forum/review. If you want worry about the issues, ask your friend to check keyboard and backlight bleed before leaving.

Hey just to share my experience as a razer blade owner, if you are lucky and got yourself a good set which according to many forums is a very rare chance, you will love the razer blade. I did love it for about 1 year. But unfortunately, the razer blade i bought was plagued with issues. Just shortly after 1 year into owning the laptop, the keyboard started failing. The customer service (EU region) is horrible. After 3 weeks of emails to support, they deem it to be a hardware failure on my set which causes keys to be unresponsive. i sent it to the service centre in Germany and they realised that they do not produce the parts anymore and they actually wanted to charge me for diagnostics and send the set back to me broken. After weeks of further complaints, i managed to convince a manager to source the part from other razer service centers and i still forked out 250gbp for the entire base replacement. The entire ordeal cost me an entire semester without a laptop. Last week, the RGB lighting has failed on one of my key 7 months after i got my base repaired. I called them and they said i would likely have to pay for the entire replacement board to fix it. Its ridiculous how for 1 faulty key you gotta replace the entire thing. My razer mamba which is just under 2 years old has also started to give up on me. No computers could detect the mouse and razer support is no help at all. Razer which makes peripherals for a living, seems to make pretty poor ones, my bad keyboard basically bricked my laptop. 

Note that razer only offers 1 year warranty, go for an extended warranty if you can, it will save you lots of hassle. 

As a university student, i don't want to waste my time on such hassle. I recommend going for a brand which has a better reputation, has been making laptops for awhile and has a better customer service where you reside in. Good luck!