Using a larger PSU on CableMod for a smaller one?

Jyadel

Sorry if the title doesn't make sense, but I'm currently doing a build that is color-themed.  The PSU I've selected for it is more than enough, a 550W Seasonic Prime.  However, I want custom cables for it via CableMod, but the lowest option available to me is the 650W option.  Can I do the process with the 650W PSU in mind and then just use the cables on the 550W one?  Would that work or would it just be easier to get the 650W and not deal with the trouble?  Thanks!

20 minutes ago, Jyadel said:

Sorry if the title doesn't make sense, but I'm currently doing a build that is color-themed.  The PSU I've selected for it is more than enough, a 550W Seasonic Prime.  However, I want custom cables for it via CableMod, but the lowest option available to me is the 650W option.  Can I do the process with the 650W PSU in mind and then just use the cables on the 550W one?  Would that work or would it just be easier to get the 650W and not deal with the trouble?  Thanks!

Can u give me the link to your psu?
Trying to find 550W only ends up with 550W Prime Ultra.

So You Wanna Be A Playa, But Your Rig's Ain't Fly,
You Gotta Hit Us Up, To Get A Pimped Out Rig,

You've Got To Pimp My Riggggggg...  (DAMN RIGHT)

25 minutes ago, Jyadel said:

@CableMod - get in here pronto!

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

SE-SeriesSeasonic®PRIME Ultra 1000 W Titanium

SE-SeriesSeasonic®PRIME Ultra 850 W Titanium

SE-SeriesSeasonic®PRIME Ultra 750 W Titanium

SE-SeriesSeasonic®PRIME Ultra 650 W Titanium

SE-SeriesSeasonic®PRIME Ultra 1000 W Platinum

SE-SeriesSeasonic®PRIME Ultra 850 W Platinum

SE-SeriesSeasonic®PRIME Ultra 750 W Platinum

SE-SeriesSeasonic®PRIME Ultra 650 Platinum

SE-SeriesSeasonic®PRIME Ultra 550 Platinum

SE-SeriesSeasonic®PRIME Ultra 1000 W Gold

SE-SeriesSeasonic®PRIME Ultra 850 W Gold

SE-SeriesSeasonic®PRIME Ultra 750 W Gold

SE-SeriesSeasonic®PRIME Ultra 650 W Gold

SE-SeriesSeasonic®PRIME Ultra 550 W Gold

SE-SeriesSeasonic®PRIME 1000 Titanium

SE-SeriesSeasonic®PRIME 850 Titanium

SE-SeriesSeasonic®PRIME 750 Titanium

SE-SeriesSeasonic®PRIME 650 Titanium

SE-SeriesSeasonic®PRIME 850 Fanless Titanium

SE-SeriesSeasonic®PRIME 650 Fanless Titanium

SE-SeriesSeasonic®PRIME 1200 Platinum

SE-SeriesSeasonic®PRIME 1000 Platinum

SE-SeriesSeasonic®PRIME 850 Platinum

SE-SeriesSeasonic®PRIME 750 Platinum

SE-SeriesSeasonic®PRIME 650 Platinum

SE-SeriesSeasonic®PRIME 1200 Gold

SE-SeriesSeasonic®PRIME 1000 Gold

SE-SeriesSeasonic®PRIME 850 Gold

SE-SeriesSeasonic®PRIME 750 Gold

SE-SeriesSeasonic®PRIME 650 Gold

https://cablemod.com/compatibility/

According to the compatibility page on Cablemods website they do support the 550W models.

Are you purchasing a pre-made kit or using the configuration tool to create your own custom kit?

Confirm which model variant of the 550W Prime you're planning on buying, and make sure you select that model from the drop down box if you're configuring your own cables. You may have been looking at the non-Ultra "Seasonic Prime 650W Gold" model instead and missed the options for the Prime Ultra 550W.

But if you still can't find your PSU in the list then you'll need to see if @CableMod can help.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

9 hours ago, Jyadel said:

@Jyadel as @Spotty shared we do have a large variety of listings that are compatible in the same among the Seasonic PSUs. Which make/model will you be using exactly?

2 minutes ago, CableMod said:

@Jyadel as @Spotty shared we do have a large variety of listings that are compatible in the same among the Seasonic PSUs. Which make/model will you be using exactly?

Hello! I was looking to use the Seasonic PRIME Snow Silent 550W 80+ Gold Power Supply, but for some reason I couldn't find it on the site.  It's not an ULTRA, so that's why I was worried about compatibility issues.  Thank you!

24 minutes ago, Jyadel said:

Hello! I was looking to use the Seasonic PRIME Snow Silent 550W 80+ Gold Power Supply, but for some reason I couldn't find it on the site.  It's not an ULTRA, so that's why I was worried about compatibility issues.  Thank you!

@Jyadel that actually shares the same connectors and pinouts, so you'd be good to go with any of the Seasonic listings we have. :)

1 minute ago, CableMod said:

@Jyadel that actually shares the same connectors and pinouts, so you'd be good to go with any of the Seasonic listings we have. :)

Wonderful! Thank you so much!

1 minute ago, Jyadel said:

Wonderful! Thank you so much!

@Jyadel you're very welcome. If you ever need any additional help, you can also email Support@CableMod.com too. :)