New GPU after last won't post

Joey F

Hello, I am getting a new Graphics Card after my last two don't seem to post anything on screen. (I went through all no-post troubleshooting techniques I could find) 

I've been searching PCPartPicker and I made sure my motherboard was the one compatible with the GPU, etc. 

My question is: Because my Motherboard doesn't have onboard graphics, will the card work right out the box? I can't install any drivers if nothing posts. PCPartPicker says it's a GPU compatible with my Motherboard.

You won't need drivers for it to post or to get into windows, you just might not be able to run games. If you don't have an iGPU then it should default to offboard graphics, which like I said, will work without drivers. Do you have a PSU powerful enough to power it? Are the power cables plugged into the GPU? Is the GPU properly seated in the PCI-E slot?

Most importantly and easiest to try, with GPU installed, have you cleared your CMOS and tried that?

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

10 minutes ago, suchamoneypit said:

You won't need drivers for it to post or to get into windows, you just might not be able to run games. If you don't have an iGPU then it should default to offboard graphics, which like I said, will work without drivers. Do you have a PSU powerful enough to power it? Are the power cables plugged into the GPU? Is the GPU properly seated in the PCI-E slot?

Most importantly and easiest to try, with GPU installed, have you cleared your CMOS and tried that?

Thank you for replying. I have done everything. Cleared the CMOS, unplugged everything from the motherboard, resituated everything, made sure GPU was sitting in the slot correctly and plugged in. I even used a different GPU that doesn't use power directly from the PSU but both of them won't work. To your question about my PSU, I'm running a 500w so I know it's receiving enough power 

Just now, Joey F said:

Thank you for replying. I have done everything. Cleared the CMOS, unplugged everything from the motherboard, resituated everything, made sure GPU was sitting in the slot correctly and plugged in. I even used a different GPU that doesn't use power directly from the PSU but both of them won't work. To your question about my PSU, I'm running a 500w so I know it's receiving enough power 

What are your full system specs? Was the system working before? You know the PSU is working properly?

I've had scenarios where the system had your issue because its GPU (1070) was dead, and another was because the PSU was dying. Something thats useful is to find a friend with a working PC, and to install the GPU in their system to easily rule out if it is indeed the GPU. Just be careful because I have bricked some windows installs with bad hardware before. preferably test it on a non-critical system or one that has a good backup.

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

im going to say cpu is bricked. do you have any dignostic lights on your motherboard? did you make sure your cpu has the proper motherboard? My friend bought a h370 mobo for a 6700k which... PC part picker said was COMPATIBLE smh pcpartpicker... -_- 

7 minutes ago, suchamoneypit said:

What are your full system specs? Was the system working before? You know the PSU is working properly?

I've had scenarios where the system had your issue because its GPU (1070) was dead, and another was because the PSU was dying. Something thats useful is to find a friend with a working PC, and to install the GPU in their system to easily rule out if it is indeed the GPU. Just be careful because I have bricked some windows installs with bad hardware before. preferably test it on a non-critical system or one that has a good backup.

Sys Specs are

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P

PSU - EVGA 500w 80 Plus Certified

RAM - 4x2GB DDR3

Processor - AMD 3 Phenom II

Case - DIYPC 06-WB

This is a new computer, new mobo, new case. But I was having the same  problem on my other computer as well (HP Pavilion P6337) and even on the mobo, the iGPU would not post which is why I upgraded to new

13 minutes ago, TjreifGaming said:

have you checked if the rest of the system is in working order? I suggest trying to put your gpu's in a different system to rule them out.

Yes, I've made sure that all parts were running correctly. The only problem was the GPU not posting. I want to make sure in buying a new one, I don't have to worry about that being the problem, not having to install any drivers because what's the point in that if it doesn't post :P

21 minutes ago, suchamoneypit said:

The GPU I was looking at getting was an MSI GeForce GT 710 DirectX 12 GT 710 2GD3 LP 2GB 64-Bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 HDCP Ready Low Profile Video Card. 

The 2 GPU's I used before are ones I'll have to look up the name for, but one was a Palit GeForce 1GB card and the other was a EVGA 512MB card

1 minute ago, Joey F said:

The GPU I was looking at getting was an MSI GeForce GT 710 DirectX 12 GT 710 2GD3 LP 2GB 64-Bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 HDCP Ready Low Profile Video Card. 

The 2 GPU's I used before are ones I'll have to look up the name for, but one was a Palit GeForce 1GB card and the other was a EVGA 512MB card

the 2 you used before are really old. A 710 is pretty cheap, might be worth just buying it and seeing if it works.