Samsung Magician causes Disk Usage 100% - Unresponsive

CPU: i7-4790K

GPU: GTX 980

SSD: Samsung 850 Evo

PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 850w

I have gone through a lengthy set of tests with Microsoft Support, including an OS Refresh, to no avail. I was originally there for another reason, but this issue got in their way quite a few times, and even disconnected me from them at one point.

I ran CDM and CDI, and they both seem to show that the SSD is running fine. If you are wondering about the 0.000 spots on CDM, I clicked STOP and waited about 30 seconds for it to stop because it was THAT unresponsive.

<<< I do not know what is causing Task Manager to see the Disk as if it were hitting 100%, but if it is at 100% and only about 0.5MB/s is being used, it will still be as unresponsive as if it were at 100% while doing 200MB/s, or even higher as CDM shows. I have watched Task Manger and it is literally every time it says the Disk is at 100%. >>> Update: This portion doesn't seem to be a problem anymore, even though Task Manager still shows the Disk being at 100% at times still.

The CDM picture was taken with R.A.P.I.D. Mode turned on (I turned it on for testing purposes, and thought something was a little odd), but even still, I decided to reinstall Samsung Magician in case I had an outdated version. After reinstalling it, it no longer happens every time it hits 100% in Task Manager, but it does still happen, even with it being as low as 0.4MB/s. I am going to uninstall Samsung Magician entirely to see if that solves the issue.

I have uninstalled Samsung Magician and... So far no problems. This is interesting. At this point, I am pointing my finger at Samsung Magician.

You will see two graphs on Task Manager, and one shows 0KB/s Read and 0KB/s Write. This was when Samsung Magician was installed and I was running CDM. The second graph was when I closed CDM, which took about 30 seconds to do and looks more standard for usage.

What does Samsung Magician do to cause that to happen? It seems useful to have installed (Especially because of Over Provisioning), but the problems it seems to cause are just not worth it. Is there a way to fix this problem that Samsung Magician seemingly causes?

TL;DR - I started typing this when I felt like I was out of options, then I thought "Wait, there's one thing I haven't tested", so this changed from trying to find out what was causing the issue, to believing the one thing that supports the SSD is what causes it, and how to prevent it from causing it when installed. That's some irony.

Hmm1.PNG

Hmm2.PNG

Why1.png

Why2.png

Have you checked on the Processes-tab which program is actually using the disk? Looks like it's tied to network usage, so it might be something as simple as Windows running updates etc, and pausing when you interrupt it by installing/uninstalling something.

I have, but I don't remember seeing anything out of the ordinary other than the 100% Disk Usage. The picture that shows the 0.000? When I check the Processes tab, everything under the Disk 100% header shows 0 MB/s. If you were meaning the Resource Monitor, I have checked that and I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary, but I didn't actually check it when I was testing Samsung Magician with Crystal Disk Mark.

After uninstalling Samsung Magician though, I haven't seen any of those same issues. Also, if it was network usage, wouldn't that mean my computer would become unresponsive whenever a Steam game updated, or if I downloaded something?

I even did the same test I did before I uninstalled Samsung Magician. I also ran about 4 tests with Samsung Magician installed and running, one of which was after I reinstalled it. I have ran 2 tests after I uninstalled it and I haven't seen my computer go unresponsive. I have seen a game go unresponsive for a couple seconds as it loaded up though, but the Disk Usage doesn't even come close to hitting 100% when that happens (Only about 20%), and it is only the game that does it in this case, unlike before when it was the entire system.

I can even run CDM now while loading new internet pages, so something definitely has changed for the better in terms of responsiveness.

It's rather confusing to me that Samsung Magician caused this though.