Gaming Advice for N00Bs...

HI there, I'm new to the gaming world and recently bought a gaming laptop for games (obviously) and productivity purposes. The machine was the 8th Gen i7 8750H paired with GTX 1060 Max Q. I do 1080p gaming so its good for that. The thing I don't understand starts here:

After 15 - 20 min of gameplay I lose frames but return to above 60 fps after a few seconds of fan noise and general annoyance. I Undervolted the CPU so it'll run cooler and it does but frames were still dropping on every game. 

I looked through my power plan and it was the [reset from the manufacturer, I changed that to Power with the Minimum Power settings to 99% and the Cooling to Active.

The drops in frames have almost stopped except in an open world with very big maps.

Is this normal for a gaming laptop and if so wth....

The computer was probably just thermal throttling. Its kind of hard to avoid on laptops. But if active cooling helps, I'd leave it on when gaming

What laptop is it? Could be thermal throttling... 

Please mention or quote me if you want a response. :) 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

this is a typical thermal throttle,

always raise the laptop a few cm above table for cooling, active cooling is not needed.

I use 2-4 package of tissues

Dell G5 15

My concern is with my Minimum  Power Settings.

3 minutes ago, AJB said:

Dell G5 15

My concern is with my Minimum  Power Settings.

Whats the concern? Laptops run hot. Thermal throttling will prevent the computer from hurting itself.

They make laptop stands with fans built-in in the bottom, idk how much they help but it always seemed like a decent idea

7 minutes ago, AJB said:

Dell G5 15

note that this is a 1080p, your GTX1060(downgraded version) will be at 100% load for most of time and therefore being hot. you may cap fps or lower some settings

I guess it was expected that the laptop will run hot but I don't think its Thermal Throttling, seems more like Power Limiting because the Stress Tests don't show thermal throttling and I fixed that by running the CPU ALMOST to the max in gaming sessions and backing off when I'm done.

33 minutes ago, AJB said:

After 15 - 20 min of gameplay I lose frames but return to above 60 fps after a few seconds of fan noise and general annoyance.

11 minutes ago, AJB said:

I guess it was expected that the laptop will run hot but I don't think its Thermal Throttling, seems more like Power Limiting because the Stress Tests don't show thermal throttling and I fixed that by running the CPU ALMOST to the max in gaming sessions and backing off when I'm done.

the symptom doesnt match.

if its Power Limiting, it will stay slow at the very beginning. I would say this is not your case.

you have a relative too powerful cpu for games, a 6 core on laptop. I dont think could be max out from gaming only

37 minutes ago, AJB said:

Would have suggested a 1050ti at most in general on a laptop.

Just run your fans manually at 100% using speedfan or something. Undervolt the GPU as well.

Also get it off of the desk, any basic stand will help with cooling a bit.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

6 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

the symptom doesnt match.

if its Power Limiting, it will stay slow at the very beginning. I would say this is not your case.

you have a relative too powerful cpu for games, a 6 core on laptop. I dont think could be max out from gaming only

You may be right, then I guess the things to do is to improve cooling by elevating the laptop from the desk and undervolting the GPU.

1 minute ago, AJB said:

undervolting the GPU.

really undervolting the GPU would be last resort, would be a pity seeing this result on these sort of high end gaming pc

Just now, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

really undervolting the GPU would be last resort, would be a pity seeing this result on these sort of high end gaming pc

At the moment I shift to Power Mode before gaming and the games run great at 1080p above 60 fps.

Far Cry 5 and GTA above 70 (except in open terrain and in cars where it drops to in the 50's)

Doom above 90

and Crysis 3 above 70 as well.

4 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

Just now, AJB said:

Undervolting the GPU is unlikely to require any massive drop in performance.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?