Bootcamp on a mac actually improves fps?

Maikiki

I've heard people say "Bootcamp improves fps by alot". Adding a platform somehow improves fps and overall performance, just wondering how does this work? Maybe the game is more optimized for that platform? 

Is it a cheaper way for better fps on a mac or is it like wine (converting PC software to Mac). 

macOS operates on the Metal and OpenGL rendering APIs

Windows 10 operates on DirectX, OpenGL, and Vulkan rendering APIs

Windows environments perform better in games because the main API of Windows 10, DirectX, is so much faster and more efficient than OpenGL. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

32 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

DirectX, is so much faster and more efficient than OpenGL.

Agree on what you said, but not true at on this point.  DirectX does things better than OpenGL, but also OpenGL does many things better than DirectX.

The bigger impact, but that is a subjective point only: DirectX has a lot of resources for developers (new and old) on its side to help create nice, optimized code., while OpenGL, despite free and wildly used, is on the lacking side in comparison, and DirectX has more developer tools, let alone more powerful, especially that DirectX was built for debugging as it was designed for gaming. OpenGL wasn't really... OpenGL was this Silicon Graphics internal thing what wans't complete, which they only released to the public as the company was shutting its doors.  Even though it has been ages since OpenGL was released, and some tools are there to help OpenGL developers debug things and get better understanding on the background, it is still lacking compared to DirectX. This is because the foundation of OpenGL needed to be changed, and hasn't been done enough to really do that. So more tools for developers, can help shine DirectX over OpenGL.

But the real performance increase is really Windows and drivers. Windows as its design, since Windows 95, games running on full screen with DirectX gets to run closer to the hardware. Something that OSX and Linux based OS doesn't do, for them, a game full screen or not, is like any other program. This doesn't make it a miracle solutions, but it helps give that performance advantage edge, and also ensure more consistent performance. And then drivers. The simple fact that Windows is the most used OS, hardware manufactures puts all their energy on delivering quality and highly optimized drivers on Windows.

26 minutes ago, sud said:

I've heard people say "Bootcamp improves fps by alot".

when compared to running native in macOS yes. but in Windows 10 native vs bootcamp, native always wins or is equal

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

There's many layers to this that involve graphics API, the operating system, drivers and the game itself.

Let's take something that has a pretty good port on all of its platforms as an example, Left 4 Dead 2.

Runs really well on Windows and Linux, while, from what I remember, still being fairly decent on macOS.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

40 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

macOS operates on the Metal and OpenGL rendering APIs

Windows 10 operates on DirectX, OpenGL, and Vulkan rendering APIs

Windows environments perform better in games because the main API of Windows 10, DirectX, is so much faster and more efficient than OpenGL. 

Lies. OpenGL is much faster than DirectX. 

https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/133824-valve-opengl-is-faster-than-directx-even-on-windows

Valve knows and they make games using all bunch of APIs. From what they said, we know directx sucks  and windows also suck as a gaming platform. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

Just now, wasab said:

Lies. OpenGL is much faster than DirectX. 

https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/133824-valve-opengl-is-faster-than-directx-even-on-windows

Valve knows and they make games using all bunch of APIs. From what they said, we know directx sucks  and windows also suck as a gaming platform. 

There is a line between reality and fantasy. Believing that OpenGL provides a better gaming experience for the majority of games is crossing that line into fantasy. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

L4D2 is a source engine.

I mostly play source games like HL2, csgo and other games. I have seen people move on to bootcamp and have a steady 60 fps than a painful 1-100 fps... So really, I guess bootcamp is up to software or game itself. Maybe staying on mac is just a safe option...

2 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

There is a line between reality and fantasy. Believing that OpenGL provides a better gaming experience for the majority of games is crossing that line into fantasy. 

oh nonononononononononononononononononononononononoononoooonononono. Microsoft directx is bad, especially Directx 12. 

Sudo make me a sandwich