Gpu upgrades in dell T3400

Zahid rajpoot

Can anyone tell me please if my dell T3400 support gpu gtx 1050, gtx 950 or gtx 660

Here's specs of my pc dell t3400 

Quad core processor q6600

Ram 4gb ddr2

Psu dell 525w

Below attachment of psu

IMG_20180907_123658.jpg

IMG_20180907_123738_2.jpg

IMG_20180907_123704.jpg

If your PSU has a 6 pin power connector then it can run all the above mentioned cards.

the 1050 doesn't require any external power, it can run from the PCI-E slot (requires only 75w only). 

With only an original Intel™ Core™ series processor in there, you probably won't get much in the way of gaming performance out of it... I can't speak for how well scrapyard wars 1 & 2 have stood the test of time though. I would recommend the GTX 1050 since it needs no external power. Or really any GPU that doesn't require external power. Unless your PSU has an extra 6 pin power cable, then it can run any GPU with a 6 pin connector (same with 8).

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

1 hour ago, Drunk.EU said:

If your PSU has a 6 pin power connector then it can run all the above mentioned cards.

the 1050 doesn't require any external power, it can run from the PCI-E slot (requires only 75w only). 

Yes it hai 2 six pin connector with 12v rail 18amp

You've got a 525W PSU on that system with two six pin power connectors so the video cards you mentioned on your first post should work with your rig.

Although you might want to upgrade the processor to a faster quad core to get the most out of the GPU you want.

CPU: Sempron 2500+ / P4 2.8E / P4 2.6C / A64 x2 4000+ / E6420 / E8500 / i5-3470 / i7-3770
GPU: TNT2 M64 / Radeon 9000 / MX 440-SE / 7300GT / Radeon 4670 / GTS 250 / Radeon 7950 / 660 Ti

According to that PSU label and if I'm interpreting it right: it has three separate +12V rails but they cannot combined exceed 500W meaning they cannot all take 18 Amps at the same time. They can handle 41 Amps combined across all 3 meaning the if A and B rails are maxed, the 3rd can take about 5 Amps.

That all being said, if the GPU doesn't exceed a draw of 216 Watts on +12v (so not over 18 Amps on its rail) then it'll be fine.  Unless you're lucky enough to know or confirm that the other 6-pin 12v GPU power connector is on another rail.

8 minutes ago, grss1982 said:

Although you might want to upgrade the processor to a faster quad core to get the most out of the GPU you want.

It's a Core2Quad, you really think there's a worthwhile upgrade using the same socket?  I think not unless someone on ebay is giving away a slightly faster socket 775 quad core for less than $20.  If it were my rig I wouldn't bother to replace the thermal paste for so small an increase since you're dealing in CPU's that predate 2008.  If he really wants AAA gaming at max quality without major bottle necking, he needs a whole new motherboard, cpu, and ram, minimum (may as well plan to build a new computer).

Even a SandyBridge i5/i7 is a major IPC improvement over that outdated Kentsfield platform.

8 minutes ago, LogicWeasel said:

It's a Core2Quad, you really think there's a worthwhile upgrade using the same socket?  I think not unless someone on ebay is giving away a slightly faster socket 775 quad core for less than $20.  If it were my rig I wouldn't bother to replace the thermal paste for so small an increase since you're dealing in CPU's that predate 2008.  If he really wants AAA gaming at max quality without major bottle necking, he needs a whole new motherboard, cpu, and ram, minimum (may as well plan to build a new computer).

Even a SandyBridge i5/i7 is a major IPC improvement over that outdated Kentsfield platform.

That maybe the case. However, I get the feeling that a full blown system upgrade might not be feasible for the poster due to either parts availability or monetary concerns. I might be wrong on that assumption though.

@Zahid Rajpoot:

What games to do you play or plan to play with this setup?

I also see a video card already on the picture you posted. What video card is that?

As LogicWeasel has mentioned a full blow system upgrade might be better for you if your playing AAA games.

CPU: Sempron 2500+ / P4 2.8E / P4 2.6C / A64 x2 4000+ / E6420 / E8500 / i5-3470 / i7-3770
GPU: TNT2 M64 / Radeon 9000 / MX 440-SE / 7300GT / Radeon 4670 / GTS 250 / Radeon 7950 / 660 Ti

14 hours ago, grss1982 said:

That maybe the case. However, I get the feeling that a full blown system upgrade might not be feasible for the poster due to either parts availability or monetary concerns. I might be wrong on that assumption though.

@Zahid Rajpoot:

What games to do you play or plan to play with this setup?

I also see a video card already on the picture you posted. What video card is that?

As LogicWeasel has mentioned a full blow system upgrade might be better for you if your playing AAA games.

I'm currently using Nvidia 9800 gt but its support only dx10 well i like to play call of duty and rise of tomb raider there's also lounging shadow of tomb raider and call of duty black ops 4 i would like to play these games but in the budget what would u suggest me thanks for answering

13 minutes ago, Zahid rajpoot said:

I'm currently using Nvidia 9800 gt but its support only dx10 well i like to play call of duty and rise of tomb raider there's also lounging shadow of tomb raider and call of duty black ops 4 i would like to play these games but in the budget what would u suggest me thanks for answering

You're welcome. That's a lot to ask for that setup with just a GPU upgrade.

So how much are you willing to spend for an upgrade?

Where are you located? Could help in determining if you have stores in your locality that have affordable parts to do an upgrade.

2 hours ago, grss1982 said:

You're welcome. That's a lot to ask for that setup with just a GPU upgrade.

So how much are you willing to spend for an upgrade?

Where are you located? Could help in determining if you have stores in your locality that have affordable parts to do an upgrade.

I'm from Pakistan and my budget is about 30k its around 245 usd here's an Asus gtx 950 price is 12.5k and gtx660 is in 10.5k

4 hours ago, Zahid rajpoot said:

I'm from Pakistan and my budget is about 30k its around 245 usd here's an Asus gtx 950 price is 12.5k and gtx660 is in 10.5k

Even if you put a GTX 1050 into that computer (let alone a 1060 3GB if available) you will have to run the games on very low settings and resolution for it to not be a mess to run them.  Your CPU is very outdated and RAM is just 4GB, those factors are a major bottleneck.  If that's all the budget you have it'll be better than nothing, but keep in mind it won't make that PC able to run games on medium/high with any consistency.

As a side note, what resolution is your monitor?  I hope it's not above 1080p as it will struggle with that.

15 hours ago, LogicWeasel said:

Even if you put a GTX 1050 into that computer (let alone a 1060 3GB if available) you will have to run the games on very low settings and resolution for it to not be a mess to run them.  Your CPU is very outdated and RAM is just 4GB, those factors are a major bottleneck.  If that's all the budget you have it'll be better than nothing, but keep in mind it won't make that PC able to run games on medium/high with any consistency.

As a side note, what resolution is your monitor?  I hope it's not above 1080p as it will struggle with that.

Its showing 1366x768 resolutions

On 9/13/2018 at 12:45 AM, Zahid rajpoot said:

Its showing 1366x768 resolutions

In that case it's a hidden benefit that that resolution will be easy for those GPUs to run at.  A newer GPU would certainly get you closer to playing games better, but it just wouldn't be "Best" if that makes sense (until the bottlenecks are removed or upgraded past).