Installing Windows on my m.2 Intel SSD causes winload.efi missing or corrupt BSOD

Hi everyone,

I have a Dell Inspiron 15 5570, that has a 1TB Seagate HDD and a 128GB Intel SSD.

Every time I install windows on to the SSD, the OS crashed immediately after installation.

The error message is "Your computer did not start properly as a file named winload.efi is missing or corrupt"

No matter what recovery option  I choose the issue recurs.

Also the same OS from same installation media can be installed in my HDD without any issues.

I went through some forums and found that this BSOD is generally caused by write errors. So is it possible that the SSD has worn out causing a write error or could it be an issue with the motherboard?

PS: The ssd functions as a storage (non-boot) device without issues.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks is advance.

Is there any way you can get a system running that has access to the drive so you can run something like CrystalDiskInfo and check SMART data?  That would tell you how worn it is, if there's any red flags, etc.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Are you using the Window Media Creation Tool to create your Windows install tool?

Hi Ryan,

I have already ran the crystal disk on the drive and everything seems fine there. I even downloaded the Intel SSD toolbox and ran a complete diagnostics on the drive and it passed.

I am also able to boot ubuntu from the SSD. Its only windows 10 that is causing the issue. If my issue is correct its the UEFI that could be causing the issue.

Yes I tried both the windows media creation tool and the Dell OS Recovery tool. Both causes same error

1. Check if your ssd is GPT using Minitool Partition Wizard. If it's MBR - change it. And remove all partitions from it.

2. Unplug your hdd.

3. Boot from USB and install Windows.

4. Boot first time.

5. Plug your HDD back.

BTW. Dell sells you laptop with system on HDD and with empty m.2?

5 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

BTW. Dell sells you laptop with system on HDD and with empty m.2?

Nah, the SSD always has Windows. They add the HDD as a data drive. My HP Pavilion Gaming 15 has the same setup.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

12 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Nah, the SSD always has Windows. They add the HDD as a data drive. My HP Pavilion Gaming 15 has the same setup.

Then how was this computer functional from the factory if this problem exists?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Then how was this computer functional from the factory if this problem exists?

I'm assuming it wasn't so I'd personally RMA. If it came with the SSD from the factory, the OS would've been loaded on there. Dell isn't THAT retarded, hah.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

It's probably just a deserved punishment for "making a fresh install just in case".

The OS was initially installed on the SSD. It crashed a few days back with a "Critical_Process_Died" BSOD and hence the issue of installation.

I went through some forums now that say that the Win10 can only start from GPT drives in UEFI mode. is that true? because I think the windows media creation tool creates a NTFS drive or MBR drive.

I did as suggested but still no help 

PS: the installation is working fine in HDD in both MBR as well as gpt

The actual crash occurred after installation of os during the "getting ready" stage 

1536684479683633496549881127624.jpg

I did with the GTP as well. But the issue still persists. Now I got a Samsung 860 EVO and replaced my 1TB regular HDD with it.

Do you try to unplug your HDD as I wrote before installation? And plug it again after you check that everything works?