Power supply dying

NecroFlex

First off, this was the 3rd PSU that died, tho in all honesty the first 2 were 420W LC Power PSUs and considering those are cheap af i'm not that surprised.

The PSUs were only connected to 2 HDDs and a molex to 3-pin fan converter, which has a fan plugged it, the 24-pin is connected to a splitter. This is a BURSTcoin mining machine, the main PSU ran out of SATA/MOLEX plugs so i resorted to using a 2nd PSU, the thing is those keep dying, i opened them up and i saw no issue, the capacitors were fine, the fuse was also fine, just overall no visual problem, i have a tester at home but it also gives out no indication of power.

First 2 were 420w LCPower PSUs, idc about those, but the 3rd one that died was an Enermax Liberty 550W, an old but quality PSU. I doubt this is just a weird coincidence so i want to see if anyone could have a clue as to what might be wrong? The power cable was replaced, it's connected to a power extension cord that has a fuse in it for overvoltage protection. My main rig is also connected to thi so i doubt that the extender is the issue.

A buddy said it could be that the PSU just isn't under enough load and it fails cause of that, but idk since i have machines which consume like 60W and the PSU there is 550W.

Any ideas?

power supplies have an estimated lifespan of 5 years. I wouldn't trust one for longer.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

you say the 24 pin is running through a splitter does that mean you have more than one machine running off it?

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

15 minutes ago, NecroFlex said:

First off, this was the 3rd PSU that died, tho in all honesty the first 2 were 420W LC Power PSUs and considering those are cheap af i'm not that surprised.

The PSUs were only connected to 2 HDDs and a molex to 3-pin fan converter, which has a fan plugged it, the 24-pin is connected to a splitter. This is a BURSTcoin mining machine, the main PSU ran out of SATA/MOLEX plugs so i resorted to using a 2nd PSU, the thing is those keep dying, i opened them up and i saw no issue, the capacitors were fine, the fuse was also fine, just overall no visual problem, i have a tester at home but it also gives out no indication of power.

First 2 were 420w LCPower PSUs, idc about those, but the 3rd one that died was an Enermax Liberty 550W, an old but quality PSU. I doubt this is just a weird coincidence so i want to see if anyone could have a clue as to what might be wrong? The power cable was replaced, it's connected to a power extension cord that has a fuse in it for overvoltage protection. My main rig is also connected to thi so i doubt that the extender is the issue.

A buddy said it could be that the PSU just isn't under enough load and it fails cause of that, but idk since i have machines which consume like 60W and the PSU there is 550W.

Any ideas?

well the PSU's you were using were not the best, even the old one, but make sure everything is grounded properly.

1 hour ago, seon123 said:

Stop using crappy PSUs? And yes, a decade old PSU is crappy. 

The Enermax Liberty is still better than most PSUs today even with its age, have one in a secondary machine running just fine.

1 hour ago, YouSirAreADudeSir said:

you say the 24 pin is running through a splitter does that mean you have more than one machine running off it?

No, the splitter as in the same things you get for GPU miners, it only has all the wires for the main PSU but other connectors have the green and black wire, so just the on/off signal wire, if you know what i mean?

1 hour ago, itisme911 said:

well the PSU's you were using were not the best, even the old one, but make sure everything is grounded properly.

I know it's not the best of the best, but it's still quality, added a grounding wire running from the PSU to the case, could have been that yeah, but why were there any signs on the PSUs PCB?

12 minutes ago, NecroFlex said:

The Enermax Liberty is still better than most PSUs today even with its age,

You're joking, right? A 10 year old group regulated PSU is nowhere close to even a budget unit like the CX450 or Pure Power 10. 

:)

6 hours ago, NecroFlex said:

The Enermax Liberty is still better than most PSUs today even with its age, have one in a secondary machine r

LOL no its not sorry, and there are other smaller things that can fail.

7 hours ago, NecroFlex said:

The Enermax Liberty is still better than most PSUs today even with its age,

That's just an outright lie and phantasy that is void of every provable fact.

Because of the way it is made, it is very heavy on +5V so it is very likely that it damages modern PCs more than it is with modern PSU that are something of the same thing.

And the only thing that we have today that is somewhat comparable to your Liberty Series is Corsair VS Series, EVGA B-Series and some others.

Yes, your Liberty is that bad - well in facti it is way worse because it is so +5V Heavy. So nice for Socket A and stuff, not for modern Components, especially not Haswell...

Oh and how do you know if it is fine or not?!

Becuase its working with a PC?
This one was working with a PC a week earlier without Problems:

DSC_3108-small.jpg.57bbbf5432dca7200746aadc65eefd8f.jpgDSC_3105.thumb.JPG.aba904edd1109ee009f430decd27d483.JPGDSC_3104.thumb.JPG.38dbdcdae9efdaa94071cf082c430a4f.JPG

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

22 hours ago, seon123 said:

You're joking, right? A 10 year old group regulated PSU is nowhere close to even a budget unit like the CX450 or Pure Power 10. 

15 hours ago, itisme911 said:

LOL no its not sorry, and there are other smaller things that can fail.

When you go by build quality it puts many modern PSUs to shame. Yeah it's 5V heavy, one of the reasons i wanted to use it for this since most modern PSUs are 12V heavy and their 5V rail is laughable, especially when you connect more than 10 HDDs. You're lucky if a modern PSU has 120W on the 5V rail, older ones have well over 200W. 

14 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Oh and how do you know if it is fine or not?!

Becuase its working with a PC?
This one was working with a PC a week earlier without Problems:

It's been working in that PC for well over 8 years, no hiccups, nothing, cleaned 2-3 times a year.

Seeing how you have a cheapo non-modular PSU with a small 80mm...i think...fan, i'm guessing LowCostPower? And you're surprised it failed?

When you go by build quality it puts many modern PSUs to shame. Yeah it's 5V heavy, one of the reasons i wanted to use it for this since most modern PSUs are 12V heavy and their 5V rail is laughable, especially when you connect more than 10 HDDs. You're lucky if a modern PSU has 120W on the 5V rail, older ones have well over 200W. 

It's been working in that PC for well over 8 years, no hiccups, nothing, cleaned 2-3 times a year.

Seeing how you have a cheapo non-modular PSU with a small 80mm...i think...fan, i'm guessing LowCostPower? And you're surprised it failed?

The vast majority of HDDs stress the 12V rail. But apparently you know more than everybody here, so you don't need my help.

Apparently you know more than Stefan too. Wanna argue with @jonnyGURUwe can bring him in here too.

Your 10-year old PSU doesn't even have independent regulation. I'm not sure what about it makes you think it's better than any even relatively modern unit. 

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

10 hours ago, NecroFlex said:

Dude, that's totally irrelevant.

The relevant part is that it worked a week before! (maybe even the day before).

Are you gonna trying to tell us that the Caps were totally fine a week before??

And some other people said that this PSU isn't that bad at all!

4 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

The vast majority of HDDs stress the 12V rail. But apparently you know more than everybody here, so you don't need my help

i never said i know more than most people here, but i do know how to read, reading helps a lot, let me see if you can also read, here are a few examples:

http://prntscr.com/ks9wvt

http://prntscr.com/ks9wxs

http://prntscr.com/ks9x0f

http://prntscr.com/ks9x1j

I mean i still could be wrong, having hard data means nothing still right?

4 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Your 10-year old PSU doesn't even have independent regulation. I'm not sure what about it makes you think it's better than any even relatively modern unit. 

Build quality wise it's still better, yeah it's old and made for older systems, but when you compare the build quality to modern PSUs it still holds its ground. I never said it's good for like X399 or some shit, i just said that build quality also matters, it's going to outlive a modern cheapo LCPower PSU.

1 hour ago, Stefan Payne said:

Dude, that's totally irrelevant.

The relevant part is that it worked a week before! (maybe even the day before).

Are you gonna trying to tell us that the Caps were totally fine a week before??

And some other people said that this PSU isn't that bad at all!

It's not irrelevant, a cheapo PSU has a higher chance to fail vs a quality PSU, even if it's an older one. Yeah i'd understand if a cap blown on my PSU, but it didn't, it just ceased to work, no blown or bulged caps, no burns, nothing. Was probably cause it wasn't grounded properly, made sure to ground the new one now.

Oh the PSU you have is ok-ish, LCPower isn't the worst brand out there, but don't expect a new 15$ PSU to work forever. If it's another PSU do tell, based off of what i see i assume it's the 420W LCPower, the ones you usually get in a cheap case. That PSU can't handle a 300W load for the life of it...ok it can, but the caps aren't rated to run for very long at 105°C

t's not irrelevant, a cheapo PSU has a higher chance to fail vs a quality PSU, even if it's an older one.

Dude, you are closing your eyes before the facts and it makes no sense to talk to you further about PSU.

So you need to have your PSU fail in the same way and kill your PC before you understand what I was trying to say.

So it makes no sense to talk to you further as you are only deflecting the facts and the Issues.

The issue is that the PC is very tolerant about dirty voltages, that can kill your shit. But you don't want to listen or to understand, so I'm out.

And I recommend other people to do the same.

If you want to use ancient PSU with modern components, it will cause problems and you will loose your Hardware sooner than necessary.

2 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Dude, you are closing your eyes before the facts and it makes no sense to talk to you further about PSU.

So you need to have your PSU fail in the same way and kill your PC before you understand what I was trying to say.

So it makes no sense to talk to you further as you are only deflecting the facts and the Issues.

The issue is that the PC is very tolerant about dirty voltages, that can kill your shit. But you don't want to listen or to understand, so I'm out.

And I recommend other people to do the same.

If you want to use ancient PSU with modern components, it will cause problems and you will loose your Hardware sooner than necessary.

It's funny because i stated that i know it's an old PSU even before anyone else started bashing it. But since i used it only for HDDs it didn't matter if it's old or not or ''haswell ready'' or not, the fact is that for its time it was high quality and wouldn't just die like that, it's not some ching-chang manufacturer that makes lighter than air PSUs. I know what you were trying to say, but your statement is useless in many ways cause...it was connected to 2 HDDs and a fan, nothing else, not the PC or anything, just those 3 things.

I mean if your only fact is ''lol iz old iz crap'' then yeah, i won't put effort into commenting on it too much.

Do tell, how are HDDs from around 2010-2013 ''modern'' components? Hell even new HDDs wouldn't care about the PSU even if it was one of those AT PSUs...