Oddly positioned warm spot on laptop

Ahajha

So I have this old laptop I'm using for school, that looks something like the image below, as far as visuals it's exactly the same minus the stickers. (HP Envy m6-1125dx is the model I have, with an i5-3210m, 8 GB RAM (2x4), and a 256 GB SSD that I swapped in). In both Ubuntu and Windows 8.1, I get this warm spot on the bottom left corner of the chassis, right next to the trackpad (it's much worse in Ubuntu). The thing that baffles me, is that as far as I can tell, there's nothing *that* important there. CPU is on the top left, SSD is under the trackpad, RAM is above the SSD, battery is in the back(top), power input is from the top right. As far as I know, the only things there are 2 USB ports and the headphone jack. The only thing I can think of it being is the GPU, but I'm not sure why it would be down there, far away from the processor (integrated graphics, though I think I've seen them separate in laptops before). I have taken this apart a few times, and probably will be again to check for any glaring signs of a short or something. This is a relatively recent development it seems, and it also happens when the laptop is shut (on Ubuntu, at least. Haven't tried Windows).

I decided to post here since any google search containing "laptop" and "warm" gives you... Well you know.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this? And perhaps any solutions? I'm trying to make this last for at least another semester, but as time goes on I'm having more and more problems with it, most recently it's been with battery life, but I think that's just an Ubuntu thing.

Image result for hp envy m6-1125dx

Could it be a USB/Network controller? If it has just started like you said, rip it open and see whats there. The only other thing it could be is speakers? I know you have that bar up top but it could also have some downward firing ones too??

Bow down to me humans.

I can't help if you don't quote me. How am I supposed to know if you need my premium support? Now starting at £399.99 a year.

Also, be a sport and mark the correct answer as the correct answer. It will help pour souls in the future when they are stuck and need guidance.

"If it works, proceed to take it apart and 'make it work better.' Then cry for help when it breaks." - Me, about five minutes ago when my train of thought wandered.

Remember kids, A janky solution is still a solution.

4 hours ago, limegorilla said:

Could it be a USB/Network controller? If it has just started like you said, rip it open and see whats there. The only other thing it could be is speakers? I know you have that bar up top but it could also have some downward firing ones too??

I wouldn't say it's JUST started, but it's more recent. Almost certainly going to rip it open in a few hours when I'm done with classes for the day. The ethernet port is near that spot, and there is a small vent at the bottom, so networking and/or speakers aren't out of the question.