Sony drops PlayStation 2 from its repair roster

The_Tron

My favourite console died. Gotta go get a black tux for the funeral...

"Old consoles never die, they just run out of replacement parts."

"

Sony has finally pulled the plug on the 18-year-old PlayStation 2 console. Production was discontinued in 2013, but Sony just ceased repairs for them last week.

The company posted a termination notice on its Japanese PS2 repair site (Google Translate version), saying, "We have finished accepting after-sales service."

According to the BBC, Sony started running out of the parts necessary to fix the console. While there are still third-party services that might help you eke a few years more out of your vintage unit, eventually they too will have to surrender to the inevitable.

The PS2 is arguably the biggest-selling console of all time, with over 150 million units populating the planet. The announcement comes after Sony officially celebrated its 500 millionth PlayStation console with a translucent limited-edition PlayStation 4 Pro and matching accessories.

Nostalgia aside, Sony is currently facing rumblings of discontent from gamers over its unwillingness to support cross play with other gaming platforms."

Source: https://www.cnet.com/news/sony-drops-playstation-2-from-its-repair-roster/

-= Moved to General Discussion =-

@The_Tron your post does not meet the requirements for a Tech News topic. Please review the guidelines and update accordingly.

After which it will be moved back, please notify a mod when completed.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Rip. It was a good console. 

“Security is always excessive until it’s not enough.”

– Robbie Sinclair, Head of Security, NSW Australia 

“Have you tried turning it off and on again?” - Every Tech Rep Ever

If you need help with your build please tag me.

Main PC:

CPU: Ryzen 3 1300x RAM: 8gb ddr4 2666 MT/s Mobo: ASRock A320M HDD: 1tb WD GPU: Gtx 1050ti 4gb

Spoiler

P.s. if you can tell me what reference my location I will follow you. 

Bonus points if you can tell me the names of the people there. 

3 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

-= Moved to General Discussion =-

@The_Tron your post does not meet the requirements for a Tech News topic. Please review the guidelines and update accordingly.

After which it will be moved back, please notify a mod when completed.

Apologies. I am not going to add any more information to this topic, so if this is the right place for it, please leave it here.

Just to clarify, Sony killed PS2 servicing in the US & Europe a long time ago, it was only available in Japan.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)