Ideas about my career path

limegorilla

For those who are unaware, GCSE is a test you take when your 16, covering all topics. For a lot of people it decides what career path they are going to take, if they are going to uni or not, ect. IGCSE's are the international version of those for schools like mine outside the UK, but still following the English curriculum. A levels are a step higher and are kinda like the advanced class. You would normally take these at 17/18 after doing your GCSE's but it's not necessary to have the GCSE to do the course. At some schools that is the case however

So I'm looking for (many) second opinions here.

I'm 15 and taking my IGCSE's next may. Unfortunately my school don't do ICT/Computing at all, in fact I have been the only person with technical knowhow at school for ever. I am literally called out of class to reboot my schools network situation, even going as far as making them a (admittedly not as good as I thought it was at the time, but still very good IMO) network plan which if you want a read, it's here

They didn't accept that proposal by the way and they are a private school, and I do live in the canaries.

Anyway:

In terms of school subjects, my best classes (that I can take) are:

• History
  • English
  • Phyisics
  • Chemistry
  • Spanish (which I just took my GCSE in a year early and got an A in, which is not as good as it sounds as I live in a Spanish country so I have to speak the lingo)
  • Maths (but not all aspects. Things that can be applied to Computer science, yes, but not "how many triangles are in this shape" as I really don't see the point and get bored)

I am attempting to take a computer science A level this year alongside my GCSE's which is going well, so that I can actually have a semblance of education in computing, even if I am learning everything by myself (resources for this are very much appreciated)

I am also good at:

• HTML/CSS
  • Problem solving
  • Networking
  • Teaching (I teach a few kids basic ICT skills)
  • Filming (basic tho)
  • Photography
  • General trouble shooting
  • I know my way around a linux machine

So what should I go for as a career path? I want to do something I enjoy, in a good environment. (I must admit I am envious of the LTT team, that is the kind of environment I could see myself working in. Hey if any of you are reading this, please hire me in the future ?) I do enjoy messing with tech equipment and am currently looking into making my own overkill PFSense router, and have built several PC's now. I do like programming but I want to do something a little more... real than code, although I sometimes feel as if I have the wrong opinion about that job. I do know that I will work at a place I Enjoy regardless of the money I get as I would rather enjoy my work than be rich :) 

So, what are your thoughts? For a person with my skill set what careers do you think I should do?

Bow down to me humans.

I can't help if you don't quote me. How am I supposed to know if you need my premium support? Now starting at £399.99 a year.

Also, be a sport and mark the correct answer as the correct answer. It will help pour souls in the future when they are stuck and need guidance.

"If it works, proceed to take it apart and 'make it work better.' Then cry for help when it breaks." - Me, about five minutes ago when my train of thought wandered.

Remember kids, A janky solution is still a solution.

Personally,

I would start working on the Comptia and Cisco certifications. Those will open a lot of doors for job opportunities in the IT field for you, since it seems to be something you're interested in doing.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

26 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Personally,

I would start working on the Comptia and Cisco certifications. Those will open a lot of doors for job opportunities in the IT field for you, since it seems to be something you're interested in doing.

Agreed, I'd also do some Microsoft certifications as well. But that is just me and my job personally.

Cisco certifications are a very good way to enter the I.T field. Props to @Crunchy Dragon for mentioning that one.

1 minute ago, Netivity said:

Agreed, I'd also do some Microsoft certifications as well. But that is just me and my job personally.

Cisco certifications are a very good way to enter the I.T field. Props to @Crunchy Dragon for mentioning that one.

Apple, Lenovo, and Dell also have repair certs that are obtainable as well.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Why do you have to choose your career now? Just study your ass off for the GSCEs and do well. Worry about career later once you're in university.

The career I thought I would have at 16 and the career I actually have are extremely different.

note: this isn't to say not to go for certs. Certs that are well regarded in industry are gold on resumes. This is to say, don't focus on that at age 16. Focus on learning your fundamental subjects.

It sounds like A levels are similar to IB/AP exams? I would choose those more carefully, as at least in the US, doing well on those means you don't have to take the college course equivalent, meaning you can take more interesting classes sooner. GSCEs sound more like SAT/ACT standardized tests for college entrance requirements.....so focus on doing well on that.

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

Apple, Lenovo, and Dell also have repair certs that are obtainable as well.

They do, but OP seems to lean more towards networking than general repair technician.

However, it is not bad to acquire them - makes you more dependable and useful on the job site.

2 minutes ago, bimmerman said:

Why do you have to choose your career now? Just study your ass off for the GSCEs and do well. Worry about career later once you're in university.

The career I thought I would have at 16 and the career I actually have are extremely different.

note: this isn't to say not to go for certs. Certs that are well regarded in industry are gold on resumes. This is to say, don't focus on that at age 16. Focus on learning your fundamental subjects.

I would say go for it.

I started my I.T career similar to what OP did at the same age. And I am in a brilliant career currently. Of course YMMV.

You never know if you don't take a chance!

And I agree with focus on fundamentals and core subjects, but the elective subjects are important too. Especially when given the chance to do I.T, sadly OP isn't.

1 minute ago, Netivity said:

I would say go for it.

I started my I.T career similar to what OP did at the same age. And I am in a brilliant career currently. Of course YMMV.

You never know if you don't take a chance!

And I agree with focus on fundamentals and core subjects, but the elective subjects are important too. Especially when given the chance to do I.T, sadly OP isn't.

Yep, by all means try it! Focus on the core stuff, and once/while those are strong, then focus on electives. Don't focus on electives to the detriment of your core-- balance is key.

4 minutes ago, Netivity said:

I would say go for it.

I started my I.T career similar to what OP did at the same age.

Agreed. There's not much reason to wait on this kind of stuff, especially if you plan on making a career out of it.

11 hours ago, bimmerman said:

It sounds like A levels are similar to IB/AP exams? I would choose those more carefully, as at least in the US, doing well on those means you don't have to take the college course equivalent, meaning you can take more interesting classes sooner. GSCEs sound more like SAT/ACT standardized tests for college entrance requirements.....so focus on doing well on that.

As far as this goes, yes you may have a point, but I can't see myself doing something outside of computing, other than photography / filming but that is more than a passion project and a hobby if anything else.

Not being familiar with America's exams, well the GCSE's (and the IGCSE's) are the basic standard tests that you have to take to take your A levels. So if I do not pass my History GCSE I can not take it as an A level. For core subjects, such as Maths, the three sciences and English, well if you fail chances are you will have to repeat Year 11 - the year I am currently in. The only way this can change is if you get a sponsor to forward you for an A level, which is how I am doing my CS A level two years early.

This system doesn't happen across the entire UK, and as I live in Spain I don't run off the British system, rather Cambridge universities. Using that leverage is how I am doing the CS A level, in lieu of having a sponsor.

As for my mentality to go for this now rather in 2/3 years in uni is that I may not go to uni and get an apprenticeship/internship instead. That works out extremely well for me as I get the skill and I don't have to pay for uni. In some cases I can accept an internship/apprenticeship and be sponsored through uni but that is, imo, wishful thinking.

Bow down to me humans.

I can't help if you don't quote me. How am I supposed to know if you need my premium support? Now starting at £399.99 a year.

Also, be a sport and mark the correct answer as the correct answer. It will help pour souls in the future when they are stuck and need guidance.

"If it works, proceed to take it apart and 'make it work better.' Then cry for help when it breaks." - Me, about five minutes ago when my train of thought wandered.

Remember kids, A janky solution is still a solution.

Don't worry about learning IT in high school, universities cover all the basics you might learn there in the first 3 months.

If you want to get a headstart, get certifications and learn on your own.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

18 hours ago, Netivity said:

Yep, definitely vouch on the Cisco certs.

Though, fair warning to the OP.  Those tests are no joke.  Makes the CompTIA Sec+ I took look like a walk in the park.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

Just now, Ithanul said:

Yep, definitely vouch on the Cisco certs.

Though, fair warning to the OP.  Those tests are no joke.  Makes the CompTIA Sec+ I took look like a walk in the park.

Bloody oath!

And for me to do mine I had to come in and take it in exam conditions. Crazy.

2 minutes ago, Netivity said:

Bloody oath!

And for me to do mine I had to come in and take it in exam conditions. Crazy.

Ouch.

Yeah, those Cisco tests are not something to take lightly.

Bad enough I only had two weeks to study for the CompTIA Sec+ test (no previous certs).  Though, saw the CISSP study book one Sarg was studying for (he was retiring and going into InfoSec field).  Mother of god....that book was big.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

1 hour ago, Ithanul said:

Ouch.

Yeah, those Cisco tests are not something to take lightly.

Bad enough I only had two weeks to study for the CompTIA Sec+ test (no previous certs).  Though, saw the CISSP study book one Sarg was studying for (he was retiring and going into InfoSec field).  Mother of god....that book was big.

They're no joke mate, that's for sure!