Do i even need windows server OS?

idiocracy
1 hour ago, idiocracy said:

One thing i forgot to mention in the OP is that i'm running a linux vm on the machine. There doesn't seem to be a default vm in windows 10, 3'th party app is needed. And i'm wondering if i could copy my server 2012 vm to virtualbox. I doubt a j1900 chipset support hyper-v.

It comes with Hyper-V, just turn it on through the Windows Features

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO + 4 Additional Venturi 120mm Fans | 14 x 20TB Seagate Exos X22 20TB | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

Just wanted to add that outside of virtualization the server's CPU can saturate a gigabit link without any problem. Things get a little squarely with a VM since you have hardware interrupts of the host and VM and if it doesn't support all the fancy virtualization protocols you may see some performance issues. That said I used a Core 2 duo as a ESXI host for a long time without any problems (the original 1.8ghz conroe one).

Instead of mdadm I'd look at using OpenZFS(if linux) assuming you're just plugging the disks directly into the motherboard or on a HBA card. I find ZFS very easy (though if you use the command mentioned earlier you're just creating a striped array, no parity).

To lightly touch on the off-topic side conversation, an average layman can fumble their way through Windows. Microsoft puts the same shit in 100 different places, hard to miss. Your typical gnome or KDE desktop - everything is in a single spot. You may end up digging around before you find what you're looking for. There is something to a UI being "idiot friendly." Why do you think iPhones are so popular? 

Though if you're just using a web browser and office suite, you'll never use terminal/shell.

Which cpu are you referring to, the one i'm running now or the one i'm switching to?

Nope....Just nope.

1 hour ago, idiocracy said:

Which cpu are you referring to, the one i'm running now or the one i'm switching to?

Applies to both actually

7 hours ago, idiocracy said:

One thing i forgot to mention in the OP is that i'm running a linux vm on the machine. There doesn't seem to be a default vm in windows 10, 3'th party app is needed. And i'm wondering if i could copy my server 2012 vm to virtualbox. I doubt a j1900 chipset support hyper-v.

windows 10 has hyper-v in pro that will work fine for vms. And then you can easily just copy them fro your 2012r2 system.

That cpu supports vms with vt-x

Ok, seems like i'm all set then. Have started ordering parts.

Nope....Just nope.

12 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

whats the new parts?

Raid card, cables, psu and other small stuff.
Basically it's going to be a node 304, Q1900B-ITX w. 4/8gb, sf450 psu and a lsi 9211-8i. But i am thinking about selling the Q1900B and buying a J4105B-ITX. I would've liked a v1000 chipset instead, but they aren't out yet in configs for this type of build. I could just wait tho.

Nope....Just nope.