Cant get past 5.1ghz on i5-8600k

Hello, when i try to get past 5.1 oc on my i5-8600k it just crashes on cinebench. I currently run it at 5.1ghz 1.4volts. I edited only voltage and level 1 curve. What can i change to get past 5.1ghz to like 5.2ghz or more? I have very good cooling. I have corsair h110i 280mm aio, thermal grizzly kryonaut, non-delided.

For a non-delidded CPU that's pretty solid actually. You're probably at the limits of your chip though and not much will help get you past that, even delidding might not help.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

For a non-delidded CPU that's pretty solid actually. You're probably at the limits of your chip though.

I ran it at 5.1ghz with 1.4 volts and i reached only 78c max. Could i push it stronger?

2 minutes ago, LukzForEver said:

Hello, when i try to get past 5.1 oc on my i5-8600k it just crashes on cinebench. I currently run it at 5.1ghz 1.4volts. I edited only voltage and level 1 curve. What can i change to get past 5.1ghz to like 5.2ghz or more? I have very good cooling. I have corsair h110i 280mm aio, thermal grizzly kryonaut, non-delided.

You may have reached the limit of cpu, even at 5.2ghz you won't notice an improvement.

I may be wrong.

I would say no. 78c on a short run like Cinebench is probably just short term. I would do a long term stress test with like Aida 64 or OCCT to very temps. I bet on a longer term test, you will reach in the mid to upper 80s. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Okay, i just wanted to know if i can change some settings to increase even more ghz

4 minutes ago, LukzForEver said:

Okay, i just wanted to know if i can change some settings to increase even more ghz

There is the silicon lottery, and your chip's max speed at a decent voltage seems to be 5.1ghz.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

1.4v is already a lot, now that you've reached the cpu's clock speed limit you should see how low you can get it while remaining stable.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

8 minutes ago, LukzForEver said:

I currently run it at 5.1ghz 1.4volts.

Overall this seems like you reached the limit of your chip.

6 minutes ago, LukzForEver said:

I ran it at 5.1ghz with 1.4 volts and i reached only 78c max. Could i push it stronger?

I really wouldn't advice pushing it any higher. 85c is after all the max safe temp for 24/7 operation as stated by Intel. Also 1.4 volts is already kinda high, maybe start thinking about degradation. If you absolutely need to go higher maybe you should delid and swap the TIM for liquid metal first.

2 minutes ago, black0utm1rage said:

Overall this seems like you reached the limit of your chip.

I really wouldn't advice pushing it any higher. 85c is after all the max safe temp for 24/7 operation as stated by Intel. Also 1.4 volts is already kinda high, maybe start thinking about degradation. If you absolutely need to go higher maybe you should delid and swap the TIM for liquid metal first.

I agree.

Also, if it crashes at 5.1GHz with your relatively high voltage, I really wouldn't push it any further...

Make sure to tag and/or quote people so they get notified... :P:D 

My gear:

Ryzen 7 2700X / Gigabyte GA-X370M-Gaming 3 / R9 380 Nitro 4GB/ 16GB DDR4 2133 / 225GB OCZ Trion 100 / 3TB of hard drive storage
                                                                                                     AOC C24G1 / BenQ GW2270H(rarely overclocked to 87Hz :P )
                                                                               Razer Blackwidow / Redragon Kumara / Logitech G Pro Wiress / Sennheiser HD 559

Microsoft LifeCam Studio / Tonor BM700 microphone

Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ82 / Canon EOS 80D

#PCMasterrace

thats about as far as it would go really. 1.4V is a bit high really but its not my chip so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

if you havent already you could change VCCIN to 2V, overclock the cache, raise the VRM frequency, change the BCLK, disable anything power saveing, crank fans speeds further and thats all i can think off for now. Your BIOS might not have all these options and i dont know where they would be. il just tell you they exist and you can go play yourself. my I7 4790K will do 5.1GHz at 1.4V core and 2V VCCIN.

also DO NOT CONFUSE CORE VOLTAGE WITH VCCIN THEY ARE NOT THE SAME THING AND IF YOU PUSH 2V TO YOUR CORES THEY WILL DIE IF YOU ARE UNSURE ABOUT WHAT VOLTAGE YOU ARE CHANGEING, DONT CHANGE IT.

have fun though, overclocking is aweomse 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016