Cheap Pokemon game for newbies

Alir

I just noticed I have just over £10 on Nintendo credit thingy.

Thinking the best way to spend it would be to buy a decent Gameboy-era Pokemon game (or other RPG). Which would be the best game to buy?

Never played a single Pokemon game. 

I'm fine with outdated graphics. The 3ds isn't exactly 4k anyways. 

I just want something decent and addictive that I can play on the go. Though complexity is also fine. Maybe. 

I love Pokemon Silver and also the Yellow.

Silver because it has both Johto and Kanto and its newer.

Yellow because u get all 3 starters along with Pikachuuuu.

So You Wanna Be A Playa, But Your Rig's Ain't Fly,
You Gotta Hit Us Up, To Get A Pimped Out Rig,

You've Got To Pimp My Riggggggg...  (DAMN RIGHT)

get yellow 

i7-8700k @ 4.8Ghz | EVGA CLC 280mm | Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 | 16GB G-Skill DDR4-3000 C15 | EVGA RTX 2080 | Corsair RM650x | NZXT S340 Elite | Zowie XL2730 

1 minute ago, mikedrewsmy said:

Yellow because u get all 3 starters along with Pikachuuuu.

And that's exactly why you shouldn't buy yellow version. Always hated that grumpy asshole following my character around, then getting even more annoyed if I put him in to Bills PC. :D

First gen (Red/Blue/Yellow) is a good place to start out if you're new to the Pokemon franchise, as it's the most simple and easy to learn and understand the mechanics & pokemon types.

Red/Blue are essentially the same game, with the exception that there are a small number of exclusive pokemon that can only be caught in the wild in each version (however you can trade pokemon between different versions if you have 2 gameboys and a link cable).
Yellow version is mostly the same, however has a few slight tweaks to the Red/Blue version, mainly being able to collect all 3 'starter' pokemon in a single playthrough (In red/blue you could only choose one per playthrough), but instead of choosing one of the 3 starter pokemon you are given Pikachu, who will follow your character around on screen outside of his pokeball (similar to the TV show).

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

2 minutes ago, Spotty said:

And that's exactly why you shouldn't buy yellow version. Always hated that grumpy asshole following my character around, then getting even more annoyed if I put him in to Bills PC. :D

First gen (Red/Blue/Yellow) is a good place to start out if you're new to the Pokemon franchise, as it's the most simple and easy to learn and understand the mechanics & pokemon types.

Red/Blue are essentially the same game, with the exception that there are a small number of exclusive pokemon that can only be caught in the wild in each version (however you can trade pokemon between different versions if you have 2 gameboys and a link cable).
Yellow version is mostly the same, however has a few slight tweaks to the Red/Blue version, mainly being able to collect all 3 'starter' pokemon in a single playthrough (In red/blue you could only choose one per playthrough), but instead of choosing one of the 3 starter pokemon you are given Pikachu, who will follow your character around on screen outside of his pokeball (similar to the TV show).

I forgot to make clear, this is on a 3ds xl.

Was Pikachu that bad/annoying? 

Just now, Alir said:

I forgot to make clear, this is on a 3ds xl.

Was Pikachu that bad/annoying? 

Oh, I have no idea about Pokemon games for the 3DS. I think there's Pokemon X & Y versions for 3DS? I stopped playing after the Gameboy Color era (Pokemon Gold/Silver).

Lots of people liked Pikachu and thought he was cute. I didn't. He's pretty weak compared to the other 3 starters, and electric type pokemon are okay but they aren't the greatest (especially when the first gym you fight is ground type which electric moves can't damage).

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

2 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Oh, I have no idea about Pokemon games for the 3DS. I think there's Pokemon X & Y versions for 3DS? I stopped playing after the Gameboy Color era (Pokemon Gold/Silver).

Lots of people liked Pikachu and thought he was cute. I didn't. He's pretty weak compared to the other 3 starters, and electric type pokemon are okay but they aren't the greatest (especially when the first gym you fight is ground type which electric moves can't damage).

No. I'm talking about buying Gameboy era games on the 3ds. I mean I would consider buying a 3ds Pokemon game, but Nintendo charge stupid prices. £40 or £50 on a lot of games. And they barely decrease prices, if ever. 

So because I have just over £10 in Nintendo credit, I am considering buying a Pokemon game in the store. The games run on an emulator (they probably pirated the ROMs haaaaaaah - look up the reference)

Red or Blue. Might as well start from the beginning (and they're damn solid RPGs).

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

5 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Red or Blue. Might as well start from the beginning (and they're damn solid RPGs).

In what way are they from the beginning? Do Pokemon games go in chronological order from the beginning of Ash's life?

I'd have thought they're all kind of in separate universes since there are so many games.

Just now, Alir said:

In what way are they from the beginning? Do Pokemon games go in chronological order from the beginning of Ash's life?

I'd have thought they're all kind of in separate universes since there are so many games.

Aside from maybe the first two generations, there isn't really a ton of continuity between the games. Red and Blue were the originals, and imo the best.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

3 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Aside from maybe the first two generations, there isn't really a ton of continuity between the games. Red and Blue were the originals, and imo the best.

Are Red & Blue better than Silver and Yellow? What about Gold?

I want to just start with the best/ most enjoyable/ most addictive. I'm not sure if I'll consider playing other Pokemon games. So I'd rather not play Red/Blue if they pale in comparison to Silver/Gold/Yellow

39 minutes ago, Alir said:

Are Red & Blue better than Silver and Yellow? What about Gold?

To put it simply:

Red/Blue -> Original releases (technically the "originals" were Red/Green in Japan. Our Red/Blue are closer to Japan's "Blue")

Yellow -> A revision on Red/Blue that revised the story to tie in better with the Anime (your starter is Pikachu and Jessie/James are part of the story)

Gold/Silver -> The second generation of games. New Pokemon, significant graphical improvements. Not a bad way to jump into the GB Pokemons

Crystal -> Basically an enhanced version of Gold/Silver. Which basically amounts to a more in-depth story and animated sprites (it was a GBC only title)

My suggestion? Red/Blue are good versions to start with purely because that's what everything else was built on. But, putting nostalgia aside, the Gen 2 games are clearly better titles. I'd recommend Crystal as the animated sprites when you first start a battle do add to the game. 

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

50 minutes ago, Alir said:

Anyone know the reason why the 3ds lacks the GBA games?  https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00IMM4MKM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_KU-IBbPZMQ3ZZ

The third generation had a remake on the 3DS and the remakes tend to be better than the original.

The GB versions of Red and Blue are also available for the 3DS Virtual Console so.... Nintendo probably saw no real reason to to add FRLG.

35 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

The third generation had a remake on the 3DS and the remakes tend to be better than the original.

The GB versions of Red and Blue are also available for the 3DS Virtual Console so.... Nintendo probably saw no real reason to to add FRLG.

aaah

That answers my other looming question as to why they chose annoying names that are so similar to the first titles. I mean they could just call it Ruby Remastered.

from dotted graphics to color gameboy , then nds/3ds

nds/ 3ds has worst broken graphics, 

Emerald looks best and plot was good enough

16 hours ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

from dotted graphics to color gameboy , then nds/3ds

nds/ 3ds has worst broken graphics, 

Emerald looks best and plot was good enough

GBA games are not on the 3ds store. 

What do you mean by 3ds has "worst broken graphics"? It's graphical capabilities are far superior to the Gameboy and so are the games. 

I really don't understand what you're saying. Can you please clarify?