G5 PSU placement dilemma.

So I'm about 80% of the way through my Powemac G5 ATX conversion and because there were already some pieces cut in the rear panel I didn't get much choice of how to do this. Anyway I now have to get a non modular 1KW PSU in here and I just got the velcro i need to mount it but now the problem is I don't know where to place it. The mod didn't alow for space enough at the rear for the PSU because of the before mentioned cuts not made by me and I only realised just now :(

anyway I have come up with a few places to mount it and the points for and against them so please pick the one you think is the best one :)

Front bottom:

Would tangle up and potentially bend the front IO cable but makes the case more stabile and maxes available GPU space. Makes HDD mount tricky and covers a small piece of an ATX motherboard(but Il be using a DTX board for now) 

Half way up and all the way to the front on the motherboard side panel facing the other sidepanel:

Looks epic, would make HDD mount nice and easy but limits GPU length to only ~275mm

Same as above but facing the front of the case:

Looks kinda odd and I fear the PSU might wobble and break loose while moving the case but would have 335mm of GPU length clearance and HDD mount is still simple. 

PSU mounted through the perforation in the front panel with screws:

350mm of GPU clearance, HDD mount is simple and the mount is secure but it blocks ~50-60% of the front panel and removes the possibility of front 120mm fans. 

The reason I mention the GPU clearance is that the R9 290 I plan on using is 310mm and the next best GPU I have around is a GTX 550 TI :/

Thanks for any help!

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

14 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

-SNIP-

Thought the G5 was a BTX case with the GPU up top, how would there be no room at the bottom as it has a sort of basement type area.

13 hours ago, W-L said:

Thought the G5 was a BTX case with the GPU up top, how would there be no room at the bottom as it has a sort of basement type area.

It's been through an ATX conversion, thought I mentioned that? I ended up with a on the side on the bottom mount in the end but this is choking the PSU a bit. I don't want it too close to the CPU area either as that would block coolers and well its also a non modular 1000w unit so its about 60% cables lol

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 hour ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

It's been through an ATX conversion, thought I mentioned that? I ended up with a on the side on the bottom mount in the end but this is choking the PSU a bit. I don't want it too close to the CPU area either as that would block coolers and well its also a non modular 1000w unit so its about 60% cables lol

Oh neat, I guess if you have the room bottom front or middle would make sense in terms of space and ability to hide the cables. Any photos of the current setup?

55 minutes ago, W-L said:

Oh neat, I guess if you have the room bottom front or middle would make sense in terms of space and ability to hide the cables. Any photos of the current setup?

I have a few shit ones yes:

20180831_205501.thumb.jpg.4f41a8b71807fc7578d4fa88c28883bc.jpg

PSU isn't actually velcroed down yet because I'm still testing things. Not really sure what to do with the computer now that it's done though but I think Il play with proton and DXVK to test out how viable a Linux switch for my main OS is :)

Builds:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

-SNIP-

Can it lay down flat that would give a bit more room. Alternatively if you make a mount the top right looks like a good spot for the PSU with lots of room for the excess cables. 

7 minutes ago, W-L said:

Can it lay down flat that would give a bit more room. 

no. that would block an ATX and bigger board from going in there.

8 minutes ago, W-L said:

Alternatively if you make a mount the top right looks like a good spot for the PSU with lots of room for the excess cables. 

nope, would cut off two to three expansions slots and also block an ATX motherboard too. there isnt enough room to mount it up there.

the ATX mod was already started so i just kept going and because i didnt check for PSU mounting before i continued i ended up here -_- the backplate is not far enough up that i can fit the PSU in the bottom and not far enough down to do a top mount either :| i get a feeling the dude that started the mod realised this and thats why it had been stowed away for like 5 years and he was going to throw it away lol

Builds:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

no. that would block an ATX and bigger board from going in there.

nope, would cut off two to three expansions slots and also block an ATX motherboard too. there isnt enough room to mount it up there.

the ATX mod was already started so i just kept going and because i didnt check for PSU mounting before i continued i ended up here -_- the backplate is not far enough up that i can fit the PSU in the bottom and not far enough down to do a top mount either :| i get a feeling the dude that started the mod realised this and thats why it had been stowed away for like 5 years and he was going to throw it away lol

Can you shift the whole tray downwards or up higher it looks like it's currently in the middle taking up excess room at both the top and bottom. 

If it has to stay the best option may be up front with an internal AC power extender to the back. 

18 minutes ago, W-L said:

Can you shift the whole tray downwards or up higher it looks like it's currently in the middle taking up excess room at both the top and bottom. 

If it has to stay the best option may be up front with an internal AC power extender to the back. 

only PSU spare for the build is this behemoth and as the cuts and holes are already made i dont think i have more than maybe a centimeter i could move it which would help much anyway

Builds:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

only PSU spare for the build is this behemoth and as the cuts and holes are already made i dont think i have more than maybe a centimeter i could move it which would help much anyway

Yeah the only way I really see it working if the motherboard tray is left where it is would be to remove that drive cage and say mount the drives on the bottom of the case. That would give you lots of room of the length of the PSU and extra cables. 

2 minutes ago, W-L said:

Yeah the only way I really see it working if the motherboard tray is left where it is would be to remove that drive cage and say mount the drives on the bottom of the case. That would give you lots of room of the length of the PSU and extra cables. 

drives can be moved wherever, the PSU however would be wobbly if mounted to the sidepanel with its side and might break off and if i mount it big side towards the backpanel im limited to smaller GPUs and would need to go from a r9 290 to a 550 TI -_- 

Builds:

Spoiler

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

drives can be moved wherever, the PSU however would be wobbly if mounted to the sidepanel with its side and might break off and if i mount it big side towards the backpanel im limited to smaller GPUs and would need to go from a r9 290 to a 550 TI -_- 

I would mount the PSU onto the back tray or make a new bracket for it, velcro isn't something I would really recommended especially if it's only on one side. If you wanted to have something like velcro 3M dual lock would be what I recommend, that stuff won't let go unless your mount was to come loose.

2 minutes ago, W-L said:

I would mount the PSU onto the back tray or make a new bracket for it, velcro isn't something I would really recommended especially if it's only on one side. If you wanted to have something like velcro 3M dual lock would be what I recommend, that stuff won't let go unless your mount was to come loose.

only got cheap velcro available. not even velcro but "hook and loop mat" even xD does a decent job of holding things still but you cant put much straight pulling weight on it. cant really find a spot on the backtray that would work where i can still get the GPU in sadly but i might look into makeing a new bracket. dont have much metal working skill, probably not the tooks or much material either tbh

Builds:

Spoiler

only got cheap velcro available. not even velcro but "hook and loop mat" even xD does a decent job of holding things still but you cant put much straight pulling weight on it. cant really find a spot on the backtray that would work where i can still get the GPU in sadly but i might look into makeing a new bracket. dont have much metal working skill, probably not the tooks or much material either tbh

Got access to a metal shop at school or a 3D printer? That would probably be your best bet to properly securing it in place. 

If not this should hold it with enough strips of dual lock, I've mounted HDD's using it and they hold very well, doesn't slip or let go once fastened.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M5GDO47/ref=dp_cerb_3

1 minute ago, W-L said:

Got access to a metal shop at school or a 3D printer? That would probably be your best bet to properly securing it in place. 

If not this should hold it with enough strips of dual lock, I've mounted HDD's using it and they hold very well, doesn't slip or let go once fastened.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M5GDO47/ref=dp_cerb_3

i do have access to a bunch of 3D printers actiually. no metal shop though, that would have been sweet. got pretty much 0 CAD skill though but i could probably make something basic after a few hours of tutorials. not too sure on what to make though and 3D printed stuff is usiually kinda weak unless you make it thicc as far as i know

Builds:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, xlite said:

Velcro and a C13 Male to Female.

velcro is what il be using and while i do have one of those extenders i can also just run the cable straight in through the fan holes at the back and to the PSU and that dosent really solve the dilema of where to put it

Builds:

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

i do have access to a bunch of 3D printers actiually. no metal shop though, that would have been sweet. got pretty much 0 CAD skill though but i could probably make something basic after a few hours of tutorials. not too sure on what to make though and 3D printed stuff is usiually kinda weak unless you make it thicc as far as i know

Should be strong enough I would have it so most of the weight of the PSU rests on the bottom of the case and just place it vertically so the fan is at the front mesh. That way all you would need after is to make a bracket for the bottom and top to hold the unit more or less from sliding around. 

Something like this top and bottom secured to the back tray should be strong enough, keeps it off the bottom for the power cord/switch and able to hold to top in place. If you want I could probably whip something up to size. 

PSU.PNG.c804b9ab26302cfe818be173128fd21a.PNG

14 minutes ago, W-L said:

Should be strong enough I would have it so most of the weight of the PSU rests on the bottom of the case and just place it vertically so the fan is at the front mesh. That way all you would need after is to make a bracket for the bottom and top to hold the unit more or less from sliding around. 

Something like this top and bottom secured to the back tray should be strong enough, keeps it off the bottom for the power cord/switch and able to hold to top in place. If you want I could probably whip something up to size. 

so like that thing sits at the bottom of the case, correct? because i dont think i want to make any holes in my nice aluminium xD that would be one of the options i looked into though but with a velcro mount but i decided that vecro might break and it also looked pretty funky so i didnt use it. dont think i coud put it far enough forward and still have the 290 thogh and some crude messurements also say that its either not possible or tight. i did messure that it would fit with the velcro mount though but i dont feel like picking it appart right now and seeing what fitts and dosent. il do that tomorrow maybe

Builds:

Spoiler

so like that thing sits at the bottom of the case, correct? because i dont think i want to make any holes in my nice aluminium xD that would be one of the options i looked into though but with a velcro mount but i decided that vecro might break and it also looked pretty funky so i didnt use it. dont think i coud put it far enough forward and still have the 290 thogh and some crude messurements also say that its either not possible or tight. i did messure that it would fit with the velcro mount though but i dont feel like picking it appart right now and seeing what fitts and dosent. il do that tomorrow maybe

Yes so it sits up vertically just on the bottom of the case as long as there are some vent holes, if not you may want to have a gap for airflow with a bracket like that. 

12 hours ago, W-L said:

Yes so it sits up vertically just on the bottom of the case as long as there are some vent holes, if not you may want to have a gap for airflow with a bracket like that. 

ok, could work as i have a few screwholes in the bottom of the case i could put screws through to fasten the bracket down then. il have to take some better messurements but il run it like this for now untill i get the bracket printed

Builds:

Spoiler