how to boot from usb...

chosen

So I have had my sytem for a little over a month now and I found that boot Windows on an hdd is excruciating because of boot times... is there a way I can change to boot Windows from a flash drive without losing files? if so I would love for some help because I am new to changing boot drives and all of that sooo... yeah. and is booting from a flash drive faster than an hdd? thats a question Ive been wondering as well.

Do you want to reinstall on a ssd? Don't boot windows from a usb stick.

Did you make a bootable usb stick with a program like rufus.

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Do you want to reinstall on a ssd? Don't boot windows from a usb stick.

Did you make a bootable usb stick with a program like rufus.

So I dont have an SSD atm but I cant get one for a while. and the HDD I have is slow for booting windows So which should I choose?(HDD or usb?)

I have not made a bootable usb stick yet

13 minutes ago, chosen said:

So I dont have an SSD atm but I cant get one for a while. and the HDD I have is slow for booting windows So which should I choose?(HDD or usb?)

I have not made a bootable usb stick yet

use a hdd if you don't have a hdd. Boting from a usb is a bad idea.

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

use a hdd if you don't have a hdd. Boting from a usb is a bad idea.

okay I might get an SSD soon I have a hdd rn but booting gets annoying if power goes out and I need to get back on quickly

A USB will be even worse than your HDD.

Get an SSD.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

USB booting can be faster than an HDD but it depends on the following factors:

• If the flash drive supports USB 3.0 and is a fast memory storage solution and I mean fast
  • The HDD itself and its read/write speeds, typically they are around 300Mbits/s for a decent 7200RPM drive, 5400RPM drives are a bit slower but can still beat many USB drives in performance, so a fast USB3.0 drive would be necessary to do this, and those can be pricey to the point where you might as well get an SSD, I would recommend keeping your hard drive as using it as mass storage and getting a 120GB SSD for booting windows.

For the 120GB SSD route, I would backup your data from the hard drive using another storage medium or creating a partition for the data on the HDD and then erasing the windows installation partition and then move the backup partition forward and then expand to fill up the drive with the partition and then the backup partition is now your data drive. So for better boot times I would save up for a 120GB SSD to act as a boot drive and for programs

Main system "Kethlon":

Core i7 3820 - Intel Desktop Board DX79TO - 32GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM Dual channel - EVGA GTX 1050 Ti SSC - EVGA 550 B3 - PNY 120GB SSD (boot),WD Blue 1TB (Mass Storage)

See profile for full specs

Primary Laptop "Vengeance":

HP HDX16 1370US - Intel Core2Duo P8700 - 4GB DDR2 800MHz RAM Samsung - HGST 1TB 7200RPM (Windows 7, Linux, MacOS 10.11.6) - Nvidia GT 130M 1GB DDR2

Downed Laptop "Xarasky":

MacBookPro3,1 - Core2Duo T7700 - 4GB DDR2 RAM 667MHz - Nvidia 8600M GT 256MB VRAM - 640GB HDD (MacOS and Windows)

Testing laptop #1 "Leonard":

HP 15 F387WM - AMD A8 7410 APU - 8GB DDR3 Samsung RAM 1600MHz - AMD Radeon R5 graphics (1GB VRAM partitioned out of physical RAM) - 500GB WD Blue mobile drive