Dragon Age Inquisition - Worth the time?

MoonSpot

So I got DA2 and DA:I on sale quite some time ago cause I Loved DAO, even though I was disappointed by DAO:awakening/milking.

Just fought through DA2 and am now fairly convinced that Bioware has been rushing its way to crapware tier.  The game was shamelessly terrible on soo many levels.

Did any craftsmen or people with self respect work on DA:I, or is it more like the money grab pile of dog shit DA2 was?  Is it a waste of time?

48 minutes ago, MoonSpot said:

So I got DA2 and DA:I on sale quite some time ago cause I Loved DAO, even though I was disappointed by DAO:awakening/milking.

Just fought through DA2 and am now fairly convinced that Bioware has been rushing its way to crapware tier.  The game was shamelessly terrible on soo many levels.

Did any craftsmen or people with self respect work on DA:I, or is it more like the money grab pile of dog shit DA2 was?  Is it a waste of time?

You didn't like Awakening?!

So... DAO was amazing. DA2 was good but rushed to fuck... I.E. every area being reused, enemies appearing out of nowhere, etc. DAI was a really good game, but not a DA game. It's a much better game than 2, but doesn't really feel like Dragon Age. In DAO and DA2 you feel like you're playing an actual character in a world, not just your role. DAI feels much more like you're the spearhead of the Inquisition, rather than a person. I think that's because of the total lack of any character relating to your past. It's a good game (much better than 2) but it's a worse Dragon Age game than 2, imo.

The companions are really good though. I think it's worth your time overall. 

11 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

You didn't like Awakening?!

Nope.  It would have been okay for $5-7.00 or so, but $25.00 disc was outrageous for how little and how poor the DLC ultimately was. 

9 minutes ago, kilgore_T said:

inquisition is a beautiful empty thing

Like modded Skyrim?  Or like like tedious slow going whole lot of nothing?

Just saw part of a video showing a slow horse... If thats not a mod then the mechanic never got completed for the game IMO.

"I've got a bad felling about this." - Misc Star Wars Character

4 minutes ago, MoonSpot said:

Nope.  It would have been okay for $5-7.00 or so, but $25.00 disc was outrageous for how little and how poor the DLC ultimately was. 

Just saw part of a video showing a slow horse... If thats not a mod then the mechanic never got completed for the game IMO.

Jesus man, I actually think that it's an amazing DLC.

It manages to be even empty than vanilla Skyrim.

6 minutes ago, MoonSpot said:

bioware have become the stupid brother of ubisoft, they make beautiful open world spaces with nothing but repetitive busy work to do,

its such a shame, it makes me sad

6 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

Jesus man, I actually think that it's an amazing DLC.

Yea?  You remember what happened in it?  It wasn't even 10 hours of forgetfulness.  I only really remember a dragonskin medium armour...shadow...something or other.  Maybe a couple bard songs, and then....[insert whisking wind sounds]

18 minutes ago, MoonSpot said:

I only really remember a dragonskin medium armour...shadow...something or other.  Maybe a couple bard songs, and then....[insert whisking wind sounds]

HA!  Wasn't even from awakening.  Was 'Her song' or whatever, so much for that.

@JoeyDM

All I recall about it at this point is how unhappy I was about it.  Got it more or less when It was released, and the bitter taste is all that remains.

52 minutes ago, MoonSpot said:

Yea?  You remember what happened in it?  It wasn't even 10 hours of forgetfulness.  I only really remember a dragonskin medium armour...shadow...something or other.  Maybe a couple bard songs, and then....[insert whisking wind sounds]

Everything! I really like it... I also got 30 hours out of it.

Are you sure you aren't thinking of Bard's Song? An entirely different DLC.

• 4 weeks later...

On the off chance this would be of benefit to someone, if DA:I is worth the time, the answer IMO is no. 

Textures(or graphics in general)

Are good, well optimized in my estimation.  We can always want more-better, but I'd say these people did a good job.  Textures, shadows, and minimal special effects for some seasoning and we're good.  There are quite a few times where the textures could surely have been better but this title is fairly far from some other more egregious examples.

Story:

Fine enough; with 2 notable exceptions. They tried very hard to make DA:2 not seem like the fleecing piece of garbage it was...and didn't shut up about it to the detriment of this installment.  Secondly; peachy shit is preachy shit, and we've got enough of this preachy shit already.  Wouldn't be irritating if you explicitly knew what dialogue options were actually going to say(particularly tone) so we don't get yet another unexpected lesson in "right think/my feels" from the nagging social engineering brigade yet again.

Gameplay:

Horrific. Forget Dragon age inquisition, its more aptly named "The Age of Tedium".

Never thought I'd long for the days of mass effect resource locating/scanning, Bioware has redefined tediously annoying waste of time.  As if the need to pick up all this garbage wasn't bad enough but now we're treated to being stuck in an unfaltering ever increasingly long "loot animation" in this title.

If DA:I isn't proof that EA/Bioware actually hate their customers then I don't know what is.  If you disagree go jump around in an effort to complete the platforming parts in the game or get stuck after every single battle trying to sheath your weapon, only to have the game not respond, and several seconds latter fumble about finally sheathing, redrawing, then sheath and redraw weapons again.  Noting that you get into minor skirmishes every other 20 seconds, only to fight to put your shit away for another 20 seconds afterwards.  Every... single... time.

From the return of invisible walls in 3D worlds, to replusor ray meshes that fling your character far and wide if you land on an off edge after a feeble jump.  You are going to spend an ungoldly amount of time witnessing the daffy "slipping down grabbing for doilies" animation.  Not because you're trying to circumvent the intended path, but because the animation trips all the time.  If you don't get that animation its because you've been repulsor beamed away.

Simply navigating around can often become a test of your patience rather than the escape R&R you may have thought you purchased.

The looting and nightmarish platforming are more aggravating than the max 8 skills limit imposed, and almost as infuriating as the post battle "get you ass in gear put your weapon away" thing.  To be fair the "sheath your fucking weapon and move your ass" irritant has been there since Origins, its just even worse now.

Crafting system, in game menus and NG+ were all poorly thought out. 

Crafting system is largely irrelevant since your access to materials and schematics controls you. 

In game menus aren't as uniform as they should be.  When equipping you can segment light/medium/heavy armor categories, same thing with various weapon types(which is good); not so when accessing your storage(that is bad)

NG+ you get schematics, but all those hours spent picking/harvesting thousands of material resources in order to effectively use those schematics, nope. You get to do that dumb shit all over again.  Mother fucker. 

Gameplay - Multiplayer

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/3c13a123-a574-41f3-bd30-20475dd3c0eb

Don't ask, don't tell.  Accidentally clicked on MP once or twice, followed by ctrl+alt+del -> End task -> reload app.

Might be good, I'll never know.

Recommendation:

Whatever you want. I'll not play it again, I may watch fan made movie version on youtube years from now to reminisce upon the totality of the DA story; but probably not.

Buck may very well stop at DA:O.

Guess I'm just here to shit on BioWare. Don't like anything they've done. They've got good character writers, but that's about it. At least I could finish Mass Effect though. Everyone seems to like DAO and I can't fathom why. The gameplay is some hot garbage and the world is boring, unoriginal, and cliche as hell. The only reason to play the game is for the fun party member interactions.

#Muricaparrotgang

Worse than DAO but way better than DA2. Good Game, but no Masterpiece. On hard its a challange.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO