PC started freezing a few days ago when the secondary hard drive starts spinning HELP!

Aksiom
Go to solution Solved by Aksiom,

I found the same problem in an old thread from 2010 on tomshardware basically the power options on the pc were the problem i recently changed them to high performance but in opening advanced mode the hard drive was set to turn off after 20 minutes that's why it sounded like it was powering on because there was no power distributed to it and all the pc recouress were sent to it so it can boot up safely. And i just changed it to 0 minutes meaning never powers down like that

a few days ago when i was playing games my pc froze and i taught it crashed but after a second it fixed itself during that time i took of my headphones and heard the hard drive spinning very loudly. The same problem occurred to me a couple of times now and i want to fix it or at least find out if the hard drive is faulty. The hard drive in question is the Seagate Barracuda 1TB 64MB 7200rpm SATA 3 ST1000DM010 my primary is a kingston ssd running on a i5-8400

disconnect the HDD and run some tests / play some games / do what you normally do. Sounds to me like that HDD needs a replacement. But you got backups of everything on it so that's not problem. Right?

5 minutes ago, ItsTheDuckAgain said:

disconnect the HDD and run some tests / play some games / do what you normally do. Sounds to me like that HDD needs a replacement. But you got backups of everything on it so that's not problem. Right?

this problem occurred a few days ago it was working fine until then the hard drive has only games on it nothing special but just a few games are on the ssd and it freezes when im playing those. My question is could it start having those problems out of nowhere the drive is brand new just a couple of months old and its strange for me since it worked fine until recently

Well dunno for sure of course, but sure as hell is your SSD not "spinning very loudly". Maybe the HDD goes haywire and freezes the system for a few seconds or sth. like that. I mean.. seriously... Taken that sata cable out the drive, takes you how long? 30 seconds? Just do it and see :-)

To start this off you can try the following:

1. Open a Command Prompt and type "wmic"
  2. Type "diskdrive get status"
  3. Post the result here

If this is returning a bad result you definetly need a new hard drive and should save all important data currently stored on it.

If this is returning a ok result I'd like you to run a chkdsk:

1. Press windows +x open a command prompt as admin
  2. Type "chkdsk" followed by a space and the drive letter you'd like to check
chkdsk [Drive:] [parameters]

Best way type in:

chkdsk [Drive:] /f /r /x

The “/f” parameter tells CHKDSK to fix any errors it finds; “/r” tells it to locate the bad sectors on the drive and recover readable information; “/x” forces the drive to dismount before the process starts.

Please also post the result from chkdsk. But keep in mind that this might take some time...

EDIT: And this might fix your disk for quite a while but I'd still recommend to get a new one...

-Wolf

Edited by M-Wolf
Forgot something

18 minutes ago, M-Wolf said:

To start this off you can try the following:

1. Open a Command Prompt and type "wmic"
  2. Type "diskdrive get status"
  3. Post the result here

If this is returning a bad result you definetly need a new hard drive and should save all important data currently stored on it.

If this is returning a ok result I'd like you to run a chkdsk:

1. Press windows +x open a command prompt as admin
  2. Type "chkdsk" followed by a space and the drive letter you'd like to check

chkdsk [Drive:] [parameters]

Best way type in:

chkdsk [Drive:] /f /r /x

The “/f” parameter tells CHKDSK to fix any errors it finds; “/r” tells it to locate the bad sectors on the drive and recover readable information; “/x” forces the drive to dismount before the process starts.

Please also post the result from chkdsk. But keep in mind that this might take some time...

EDIT: And this might fix your disk for quite a while but I'd still recommend to get a new one...

-Wolf

Right now i'm running SeaTools check and fix but after it finishes i will definitely try that. I'm writing this to see if anyone knows about this program and does it really work.

6 minutes ago, Aksiom said:

Right now i'm running SeaTools check and fix but after it finishes i will definitely try that. I'm writing this to see if anyone knows about this program and does it really work.

Well, I've never heard of that program but I'd assume it's from Seagate and should do a fine job checking a Seagate drive. I stick to the Windows utilities I know :P Keep us updated!

3 hours ago, M-Wolf said:

Well, I've never heard of that program but I'd assume it's from Seagate and should do a fine job checking a Seagate drive. I stick to the Windows utilities I know :P Keep us updated!

ok it finished just now and it didn't detect any problems here is the scan. I did some testing between the program and the cmd commands and when it freezes it sounds as if the hard drive just turned on like when powering up the pc

Capture.PNG

3 minutes ago, Aksiom said:

ok it finished just now and it didn't detect any problems here is the scan. I did some testing between the program and the cmd commands and when it freezes it sounds as if the hard drive just turned on like when powering up the pc

Capture.PNG

Ok so at least you don't have any bad sector on this drive. Anyway if the drive is getting louder than normal it's ususally a indicator that the days of the hard drive are counted. So save the data and get a new one...

Did the Seagate program find anything?

Just now, M-Wolf said:

Ok so at least you don't have any bad sector on this drive. Anyway if the drive is getting louder than normal it's ususally a indicator that the days of the hard drive are counted. So save the data and get a new one...

the seagate program said everything is ok but it gets loud only during those couple of seconds normally it runs very quiet i'm defragging it at the moment and im hearing it works normally(being active and doing something) and its quiet

17 minutes ago, M-Wolf said:

i have no problem swapping it out i have a 2 year warranty but they would have to take the drive for some time and test it and as experience has taught me with costumer service here i know i will get it back the same way i sent it and they just wouldn't pay attention to because the problem occurs for a short time at random and that means someone has to be constantly watching it and they will just say we didn't experience any problems and i have to send it a couple of times(i think 3) and then by law they have to send me a new one at my expense every re sending and receiving.

EDIT: On the defragging side it is heavy it needs 10 hours to defrag it i have defragged other drives before but nothing this long i hope this fixes the problem but probably not strange since the drive is barely half an year old 

My proposal is - buy another drive, copy everything and then use warranty - return drive to producer and wait what happend. You have two options then:

1. They replace your hard drive and give you new one. Well - bonus, you have extra hard drive, both are good, you can even consider made Raid0 if you buy the same drive model now and your games will load faster. :)

2. They may said that everything is ok - in this case you have not so good drive, but still working - perfect for made backups from time to time.

I found the same problem in an old thread from 2010 on tomshardware basically the power options on the pc were the problem i recently changed them to high performance but in opening advanced mode the hard drive was set to turn off after 20 minutes that's why it sounded like it was powering on because there was no power distributed to it and all the pc recouress were sent to it so it can boot up safely. And i just changed it to 0 minutes meaning never powers down like that