Top of the case fans

katjaneway

Hi all,

I have a Corsair Carbide 500R case, and I'm looking to buy a 140mm fan or two for the top. But I'm really confused... the 140mm fans I find are intake fans... the only way I could put them on top for exhaust is if I flipped them around and had them upsidown. And I doubt the cable would stretch or work in that position. How do I go about finding case fans meant to exhaust from the top of the case?

Thanks

1) There is no such thing as an "intake" or "exhaust" fan. Fans can be used as either one and it literally does not matter. They pull air form one side and push it out the other.

2) Fans can be in any orientation, there is no up or down. There is no upsidedown.

3) The cable comes out of the side of the fan, whether it is facing down or up does not change the length of the cable. If you need to just plug them into the fan headers at the top of your motherboard instead of the bottom.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

What Enderman said above. Though I will add one thing - that some cheap fans use horrible bearings in the motor & being upside down will add stress to it & wear it out sooner. But we're still talking 1-3 years instead of 5-7 years. (Had one cheap I mounted horizontally & it started making noise after a couple years that went away if I mounted vertically)

Just don't buy any fans under $10 & you'll be good. 

If you do have a gigantic case & the fan header is out of reach, extension cables can be found on Newegg & Amazon for a couple dollars.