How do I get Windows Media Center working on a Vizio TV with a HDMI cable?

Bonzilink

38 minutes ago, fixthegrouppolicy said:

Can I also use a Vizio remote?

You mean connecting your PC to a Windows 7/8 PC via HDMI to get Windows Media Center on your TV?

You need an IR receiver for the PC or a PC remote like those Air Mouse, where using a gyroscope you can move the cursor on the screen, have directional button, and maybe a keyboard on the back. If you do plan to use an IR Receiver for the PC, keep in mind that the remote you'll use must not work with any device near by. So for example, if you plan to set the Power button of the remote to wake up from sleep (you can't turn it on from off state, that needs a supported case or non easy to find hardware), as you press it, it will make both your TV and computer turn on/wake up, and turn off/sleep, which might be great on paper until you just want the TV, or say you configure the menu button as right-click, then you'll fight with the TV going on the menu screen and the system to right-click. So yea... something to consider, unless you have, like I said, a remote you can use that doesn't interact with anything you current have.

Personally, I would spend little as possible, as Windows Media Center is discontinued.

In my case:

• I installed Windows 10
  • Purchased an Air Mouse on Amazon that looked simple and reasonable.
  • Made the start screen full screen.
  • Told Windows to set the power button to only sleep/wake up the system (in the case it is pressed), and for the remote power button to work.
  • I got a USB IR receiver which I plugged at the front of the system as the remote I got sends that particular button as IR signal for some reason (meh, China, cheap branded Air Mouse remote, does work decently well though).
  • Installed Plex and Netflix app from the Store app, pinned them on the Start screen and pined Edge as web browser (ran the best for the hardware of the system). If you have Hulu in your region, you can get the app for that as well.

And there we go. I paid less than decent Roku model, and got a 60fps menu experience, 1080p playback (matches the TV... if the hardware was more capable, then 4K of course would be an option), and easy for my mother to use herself, helped by the fact that she has a menu (Start Menu full screen), that has only the service we have.

Looks like this:

Spoiler

WP_20180414_19_55_21_Pro.thumb.jpg.568094ae0ad18dc26c2584f2ab97ce2a.jpg
Yes there is no case. Yes I have a tower of washers and motherboard standoff to hold a bent SSD conversion plate to hold the HDD, yes that is an small short USB extension cable passing from the read USB to have the IR receiver connected to it at the front, yes the system uses (not shown) a laptop power adapter to operate, and yes, those are motherboard stand off put on reverse with HDD screws at the bottom to act as feet. I didn't have a case of this old system, and my goal was to be less expensive or match a decent (smooth experience) Roku device