What is the point of Raspberry Pi Clusters

ItsBlck

I was scrolling through reddit and found many images of Raspberry Pi Clusters and I was thinking ? what would be a suitable use case for one,   since its definate that a Intel nuc would be more powerful than 2/3/4 Raspberry Pi's.  

Thanks for any replies! 

Used to be everywhere in LTT forums, had a break which lasted apparently 1 year LOL. 

Gonna get up againnnn.

Wake me up if I sleep again like Oppy. 

Simple practise for cluster computing is one example. It's easier and cheaper to set up and you can't really break anything important.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

Testing new builds and their deployment on a few different machines is an example.

I like hanging out and conversing about tech and stuff, commuting from forums to discord every so often.

4 raspberry pi's might cost 200-250$ to set up. A NUC will definitely cost more than that, and/or  be slower. 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

A cluster of raspberry pi's also would be more versatile in a hobby or learning environment. You can always re-purpose them for something else.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

Thanks guys!  I have read that people use them to teach clustering as well and I thought that was the only real use. 

Used to be everywhere in LTT forums, had a break which lasted apparently 1 year LOL. 

Gonna get up againnnn.

Wake me up if I sleep again like Oppy.