How do I pick which GTX 1080ti brand

Go to solution Solved by Jurrunio,
26 minutes ago, Kensgold said:

rx 7800, and an i5 4770k

HD7800 series and i5-4670k?

What is the differences between EVGA, ASUS, MSI, etc branded cards. 

different brands = different company offering you customer service. EVGA has the best, others are roughly the same.

28 minutes ago, Kensgold said:

Why are some cards that look almost the same spec wise $200 more than each other. (Imgur album with an example from evga)

Bigger heatsink, better card design (power phase department), moar RGB lights etc.

29 minutes ago, Kensgold said:

How can I tell what type of cooling solution a card uses besides the pictures.

Google the model name

How hot do these cards run.

Good ones: below 45C above ambient temperature

Average: 45-55C above ambient

Bad: Above 55C above ambient

If you go for waterblock cards, that means constructing a custom liquid loop for cooling. Not recommended if you dont know what you're doing

Liquid or air, I'll say most air cooled cards are good enough.

41 minutes ago, Kensgold said:

Do you think the prices will drop a noticeable amount in the next couple of months with the release of RTX.

Maybe, depends on how better 20 series is compared to 10 series. We shall know this after September 14 when NDA lifts

I am looking to build a new system in the next month or so, as my system is getting a bit dated. I'm talking  rx 7800, and an i5 4770k dated. I have decided to get a 1080ti, but I don't understand a few things about my options,

• What is the differences between EVGA, ASUS, MSI, etc branded cards. 
  • Why are some cards that look almost the same spec wise $200 more than each other. (Imgur album with an example from evga)
  • How can I tell what type of cooling solution a card uses besides the pictures.
  • How hot do these cards run.
  • Is it worth finding a card that comes liquid cooled, or should I do an after market water block?
  • Do you think the prices will drop a noticeable amount in the next couple of months with the release of RTX.

Thanks in advance,

-Kensgold 

Its mainly cooling your paying for. Look at reviews for temps of each card.

How much do you care about ocing and noise? If not much get a basic cooler thats cheap.

Id really suggest waiting for the 2080, it will probably be faster than the 1080ti and cause price drops..

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Its mainly cooling your paying for. Look at reviews for temps of each card.

How much do you care about ocing and noise? If not much get a basic cooler thats cheap.

Id really suggest waiting for the 2080, it will probably be faster than the 1080ti and cause price drops..

I will be doing a decent bit of OC, noise I would say about as long as my mic doesn't pick it up I don't care at all.

That's what i'm waiting to see on, I won;t be buying for a couple of months. I am just now starting to collect the parts. I'm not sure i'm convinced that the 2080 will be all it promised to be. Regardless of if it is or not i'm sure there will be a shortage of them. I am guessing we wont be able to get one for under 900 for at least 4 months after they start to ship.

So I just got an EVGA SC2 2 days ago, to replace my 1070. It runs at about mid 60s (running Overwatch at all max, 144 FPS), not that much hotter than my 1070(high 50s). A word of advice, keep your eye open for any deals that pop up, I managed to get mine for 599(no taxes+ free shipping from B&H), there was one selling for 526 apparently.

Also, since it's an EVGA card, I'll be eligible for their Step-Up Program. It basically let's you pay the difference between a product you brought in the past 90 days, and an upgraded device, to get the upgraded one (i.e. any of the 20XX series). I plan to wait for the reviews and benchmarks to see if the new cards are worth it. If you're interested in that, read all the conditions linked above.

That's super interesting I am looking for deals for my whole parts list over the next couple of months. Do any other manufacturers besides EVGA have a program like that?

6 minutes ago, Kensgold said:

That's super interesting I am looking for deals for my whole parts list over the next couple of months. Do any other manufacturers besides EVGA have a program like that?

None that jump to my mind. Just make sure you read all the conditions, since there are a bunch of them and make sure you're okay with them.

rx 7800, and an i5 4770k

What is the differences between EVGA, ASUS, MSI, etc branded cards. 

different brands = different company offering you customer service. EVGA has the best, others are roughly the same.

28 minutes ago, Kensgold said:

Why are some cards that look almost the same spec wise $200 more than each other. (Imgur album with an example from evga)

Bigger heatsink, better card design (power phase department), moar RGB lights etc.

How can I tell what type of cooling solution a card uses besides the pictures.

Google the model name

How hot do these cards run.

Good ones: below 45C above ambient temperature

Average: 45-55C above ambient

Bad: Above 55C above ambient

If you go for waterblock cards, that means constructing a custom liquid loop for cooling. Not recommended if you dont know what you're doing

Liquid or air, I'll say most air cooled cards are good enough.

41 minutes ago, Kensgold said:

Do you think the prices will drop a noticeable amount in the next couple of months with the release of RTX.

Maybe, depends on how better 20 series is compared to 10 series. We shall know this after September 14 when NDA lifts

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Thanks a ton! Yall have answered my questions fantastically its quite refreshing to get fast, comprehensive answers on a forum like this.

6 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

Yes the HD 7800 card. I'm not honestly sure the exact processor, but i'm i'm fairly certain it was an i5-4***k processor. Seeing as I built old rig in mid 2013, and the i5 4670k launched q2 of 2013 that's probably the one.

Thank you guys again you all were super helpful.