RTX Performance?

ImNotThere

Does anyone have any idea or speculation as to how the RTX cards will perform in mining and compute tasks?

Kinda curious how they will stack up to Vega and if it forces amd to rush their next architecture.

We have no information, but going off the fact that Nvidia did not show any performance numbers other than their own, self invented Ray Tracing benchmark, I would not expect performance to much different than Pascale. 

If you are looking into GPU mining, AMDs Vega cards ares till probably going to be the best options. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

I think the demo of 4K DLSS in UE4 they did was with the 2080 Ti. They didn't say it, but they were comparing it to the 1080 Ti, so I kinda assumed it. It might've been a Quadro though, not sure.

Irrelivant at this time, at $1200 for the 2080ti, only the clinicaly insane will be buying them.

As for the 2080 non ti, that to is priced above that of previous generation xx80ti's, and from past leaks doesnt seem to have to much of significant performance boost in non ray tracing workloads. So those already running a 1080ti would do best to hold of this generation.

Thats my take anyway.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

1 minute ago, SolarNova said:

Irrelivant at this time, at $1200 for the 2080ti, only the clinicaly insane will be buying them.

As for the 2080 non ti, that to is priced above that of previous generation xx80ti's, and from past leaks doesnt seem to have to much of significant performance boost in non ray tracing workloads. So those already running a 1080ti would do best to hold of this generation.

Thats my take anyway.

Those are the prices of the Founders edition, some AIB models will be cheaper, like the cheap blower-style cards.

1 minute ago, _CrisisRogue said:

Those are the prices of the Founders edition, some AIB models will be cheaper, like the cheap blower-style cards.

I am not sure they will be that cheap, since Asus announced their Turbo RTX 2080 Ti and it was $1200 on Newegg.  With Nvidia setting the price so high I am not sure many board members will want to price their items any lower in the hopes of not looking as inferior or cheap

SFF Time N-ATX V2 - Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WIFI - AMD Ryzen 9 5800X3D - Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 4090 - LG C2 OLED 42" 

13 minutes ago, ImNotThere said:

Does anyone have any idea or speculation as to how the RTX cards will perform in mining and compute tasks?

Kinda curious how they will stack up to Vega and if it forces amd to rush their next architecture.

I can Answer your question quite precisely.

... could you maybe wait untill september 20th? I will totally be able to answer that then :P

Just now, Jrasero said:

I am not sure they will be that cheap, since Asus announced their Turbo RTX 2080 Ti and it was $1200 on Newegg.  With Nvidia setting the price so high I am not sure many board members will want to price their items any lower in the hopes of not looking as inferior or cheap

so you have one example? let me do a bit of shopping

Maybe that.

Or because of AMD. To have an even bigger Wall, that AMD will have to conquer (alot later). or just in general a marketing thing "look how much % we have improved over only 2 years"

Or the manufacturing is already good enough, that they had enough "big chips" to make ti's out of.

At Pascal, they were new to 16nm, so maybe the Chips were not good enough for a 1080 ti, but good enough for 1080.

Can be many reasons ^^

15 minutes ago, Col. Sandurz said:

Could it be that they decided to sell the 2080 Ti from the start because the plain 2080 would not have been much of an upgrade in non-ray tracing games compared to the 1080 Ti?

That is a generally agreed upon theory.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D || GPU: Gigabyte Windforce RTX 4090 || Memory: 32GB Corsair 3200mhz DDR4 || Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk || SSD1: 500 GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 (OS drive) || SSD2: 500 GB Samsung 860 EVO SATA (Cache Drive via PrimoCache) || Spinning Disks: 3 x 4TB Western Digital Blue HDD (RAID 0) || Monitor: LG CX 55" OLED TV || Sound: Schiit Stack (Modi 2/Magni 3) - Sennheiser HD 598, HiFiMan HE 400i || Keyboard: Logitech G915 TKL || Mouse: Logitech G502 Lightspeed || PSU: EVGA 1300-watt G+ PSU || Case: Fractal Design Pop XL Air

25 minutes ago, Col. Sandurz said:

Could it be that they decided to sell the 2080 Ti from the start because the plain 2080 would not have been much of an upgrade in non-ray tracing games compared to the 1080 Ti?

8 minutes ago, MadPistol said:

That is a generally agreed upon theory.

I think it'll be similar when NVIDIA implemented hardware transform and lighting on the GeForce 256. In games that didn't use it, the GeForce 256 was pretty ho-hum. On games that did use it, it was much better on machines with a slower processor (as faster processors could make up for the lack of hardware T&L functionality)

If the RT cores will handle a good chunk of lighting, then that alleviates the shaders from a lot of work to do.

2 hours ago, _CrisisRogue said:

so you have one example? let me do a bit of shopping

Yeah and I pre ordered that EVGA, but where is this $1000 price Nvidia talked about?  Sure I'll take $50 off FE but not a steal by any means 

SFF Time N-ATX V2 - Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WIFI - AMD Ryzen 9 5800X3D - Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 4090 - LG C2 OLED 42" 

5 minutes ago, Jrasero said:

Yeah and I pre ordered that EVGA, but where is this $1000 price Nvidia talked about?  Sure I'll take $50 off FE but not a steal by any means 

I know, but they just got announced. a month after September 20th or maybe ON sep. 20th the cheap cards will release for the lower end models, idk about the 2080 Ti

8 minutes ago, _CrisisRogue said:

I know, but they just got announced. a month after September 20th or maybe ON sep. 20th the cheap cards will release for the lower end models, idk about the 2080 Ti

oh you mean like the 2050 2060? sure.  It just sucks since these cards were priced so high there is no where really but up price wise to go at the moment.  So that $1200 card on 9/20 when everything is sold out (possibly) could snowball into maybe even a $1500 card.  I guess we shouldn't complain too much since 6 months ago a 1080 Ti was $1200 but with zero stock and miners where buying everything.  Now with the state of mining this pretty much guarantees no miner will buy these cards.  ROI would be like 2 years if not more.  So yay for gamers getting all the cards! lol 

1 minute ago, Jrasero said:

oh you mean like the 2050 2060? sure.  It just sucks since these cards were priced so high there is no where really but up price wise to go at the moment.  So that $1200 card on 9/20 when everything is sold out (possibly) could snowball into maybe even a $1500 card.  I guess we shouldn't complain too much since 6 months ago a 1080 Ti was $1200 but with zero stock and miners where buying everything.  Now with the state of mining this pretty much guarantees no miner will buy these cards.  ROI would be like 2 years if not more.  So yay for gamers getting all the cards! lol 

I meant the cheap blower-style cards. One is on preorder now by Zotac and another one is by MSi, they are just 50$ over MSRP, but only for the 2070-80, the Ti doesn't have any.

2080ti released along with 2080, no benchmark and all talk about ray tracing only? Is that not enough clues that they simply cashing in before they release 7nm GPUs? Performance boost will be marginal, these cards are only ray tracing and that's all, unless you really want the tech right now, it would be waste of money if you already have 1080/ti. He'll if I am wrong I'll buy 2080 straight away but at this moment it's like buying cat in a bag, and it's expensive one.

6 minutes ago, Danoniero said:

2080ti released along with 2080, no benchmark and all talk about ray tracing only? Is that not enough clues that they simply cashing in before they release 7nm GPUs? Performance boost will be marginal, these cards are only ray tracing and that's all, unless you really want the tech right now, it would be waste of money if you already have 1080/ti. He'll if I am wrong I'll buy 2080 straight away but at this moment it's like buying cat in a bag, and it's expensive one.

The more and more I think and read about it you are probably dead on.  AMD is set for 2019 for 7nm and Nvidia'd hubris will not allow AMD to out shine them in any capacity.  I think Nvidia feels RTX could be the nail in the coffin for AMD since in theory all the major game developers will be developing for RTX, but if AMD is able to put a good product and undercut Nvidia by a good margin, which shouldn't be hard then yeah I see Nvidia cutting prices on the RTX 20XX and even doing a revised 7nm that has increased performance in the more traditional sense.  

Plus you have intel in 2020

so yeah the more and more I talk about it I think I might cancel my pre order and keep my GTX 1080 Ti

4 hours ago, _CrisisRogue said:

image.png.8b83ba92edfae96f61fdff1251701606.pngimage.png.50ce3886e019b0611be848e238572494.pngimage.png.a5a65d13d08adc2fd832ef5399ea4e60.png

Wow, not one card for $999.