Raspberry Pi 3B +

Donut417

Looking at doing Retro Pi. Ive been looking at kits and such. Are heat sinks and fans necessary? Ive seen some kits with heat sinks and some with both those and fans. Im trying to figure out what kit or accessories I should go with. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

They're nice to have since these little guys can kick out a fair bit of heat.

I didn't get any fans in my rPi starter kit, but I was able to mod a small fan with a ghetto wiring job.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

24 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Looking at doing Retro Pi. Ive been looking at kits and such. Are heat sinks and fans necessary? Ive seen some kits with heat sinks and some with both those and fans. Im trying to figure out what kit or accessories I should go with. 

You'll definitely want at least a heatsink, though a fan wouldn't hurt, either. That said, those cost like $1, so it's not like it's an expensive investment and if you e.g. buy the NESPi Case PLUS it should come with a fan included, if my memory serves. It's also a damn neat little case for the Pi; I have one and it's really well made and all the details you'd expect are there.

One tip: if you get a whiny fan and the noise bothers you, you can reduce the fan's speed with a resistor, or you could do like I did and manage the fan's speed on-the-fly via PWM. I actually whipped up a small addon-board that I can just pop on the pin-header and connect the fan to it for PWM-control.

fancontrol.jpg

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

18 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Get a Flirc case, the body is basically one giant heatsink.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CNX8VG5/ref=sspa_dk_detail_2?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07CNX8VG5&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=a54d13fc-b8a1-4ce8-b285-d77489a09cf6&pf_rd_r=VBJQR9AHGSKFQV486Q84&pd_rd_wg=qeeJj&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&pd_rd_w=iI8R8&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pd_rd_r=7c48bfec-a4f7-11e8-b8ab-236fd1948e2a

Been looking at this kit on Amazon. For a little more I can add two fans. Though they dont show the inside of the case, so Im not sure a fan is going to work. Also, not sure how the fans are connected. I mean its not like a 3 pin fan header on the motherboard right? 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.