Is my Laptop a giant piece of (Insert word for excrement here)

So I got this Dell Inspiron for Christmas about 5 years ago... it was marketed towards gamers... and all I really played at the time was WOW, Minecraft, and some small indie games... now when I go to play wow it runs fine and no dropped frames and I'm gaming at 60 FPS... and then after about 30 minutes it gets really hot... the fans kick in... my lap feels like I have a molten piece of Metal... apart from that I love the thing...

also here is the CPU Before and during wow

Idle VVVVV

image.png.e752fc4960905c46a7f7562355993f1f.png

During Initial Logon into wow VVVVV

image.png.943e09f74b3f3512cc594badc5ece256.png

In the middle of New Dalaran... (one of the most populated places in the game) after 5 minutes of just standing there VVVVV

image.png.ce03de028e6a5b1ed51dc2e1bf79b147.png

Is the fact that Ive had it on for the past 1 day 10 hours 10 minutes and 58 seconds hurting performance... should I reboot every now and then... please tell me what I can do to make my PC run a little less hotter during gaming... and no do not tell me to close background programs because those pictures I showed you were without background programs running except the snipping tool... to obviously take the screenshots.

-- Many Thanks,

Ninjasupahsquid

Specs? Temps?

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 Ghz  | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 |  PaliT GTX 1050Ti  |  8gb Kingston HyperX Fury @ 2933 Mhz  |  Corsair CX550m  |  1 TB WD Blue HDD

Inside some old case I found lying around.

That happened to me in the past. But all I did to fix it is take out the system and cleaned the fans.

With Great Power, Comes a Great Electricity Bill

Main

Setup: Intel core i5-8400 (OC'd), MSI Z-370-A Pro, Crucial Ballistix 8GB, Be Quiet! Pure Slim, Cooler Master Masterbox Lite 5 RGB, TP-Link Wifi Adapter, ASRock RX580, Artic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste, Logitech G105, Logitech M310, Razer Sphex V2 (Mat), EVGA 500W 80+ Silver, 1TB WD Blue, 240gb Kingston Digital

the specs are all on the pictures I just gave you but ok here they are

I have a 

Intel Core I5-4210U @1.70GHz Base 2.40 Max

8GB of DDR3 Ram 7.88 GB usable

Windows 8 64Bit OS

and we just cleaned out the fans 

Just now, Ninjasupahsquid said:

I have a 

Windows 8 64Bit OS

and temperatures?

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

4 minutes ago, Ninjasupahsquid said:

I have a 

Windows 8 64Bit OS

I'm not seeing a GPU there, bud. Does it not have one?

I assumed it did as it was "marketed towards gamers"

Anyway, temps?

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 Ghz  | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 |  PaliT GTX 1050Ti  |  8gb Kingston HyperX Fury @ 2933 Mhz  |  Corsair CX550m  |  1 TB WD Blue HDD

I really don't want to bog down my system with more programs that I'm only gonna use once... just take my word for it it gets hot enough to the point where I can't have it in my lap because I dont want my dick to roast into a hotdog

1 minute ago, bleedblue said:
3 minutes ago, Ninjasupahsquid said:

I'm not seeing a GPU there, bud. Does it not have one?

no it has intergrated graphics... and can handle games just fine... its the heat that I cant stand... I think its because of how old it is and how demanding new titles are

P.S. it doesn't get hot when I play minecraft... but I can feel the heat in the 1,2,3,4 and 5 keys of the keyboard in wow when it gets hot

2 minutes ago, Ninjasupahsquid said:

its the heat that I cant stand...

the temperature your skin can handle , vs the temperature silicon and heatsinks can handle is very different.

they asked your the temperature to make sure that the machine isn't overheating. Your "it feels hot" diagnosis based on your lap thermostat isn't very accurate.

It can run hot so long as your read the actual temperature of the packages on the machine and they are within spec , if they aren't then you're cooking your own machine to death.

I don't think its cooking itself to death... it just gets uncomfortable to keep on my lap sometimes

If you already cleaned the dust out, then there isn't much you can do apart from trying to reduce the load (eg. by capping the framerate).

3 minutes ago, Ninjasupahsquid said:

I don't think its cooking itself to death...

oh ok.

here i was worried the machines temps were out of spec. But so long as you THINK it's ok then don't check the temps. 

Just complain about the heat and do nothing about it. that should fix the issue.

4 minutes ago, Ninjasupahsquid said:

I don't think its cooking itself to death... it just gets uncomfortable to keep on my lap sometimes

If you love that machine, you'll install MSi afterburner and tell us the temps. Your CPU's more than likely running hotter than it's supposed to, shortening it's lifespan. As stated by @emosun, the temps you feel on the chassis is far different from what's on the chip itself.

Well anyway, that CPU isn't the best to begin with, running something CPU intensive (IIRC) like WoW makes sense that it heats up a lot.
If you're absolutely sure there's no dust left, the only other thing is replacing the thermal paste on the heatsinks.

Just now, emosun said:

Just complain about the heat and do nothing about it. that should fix the issue.

Ok... you don't need to be a jerk about it... I was just wondering is it normal for laptops to get this hot cause I had the same problem on an old ass macbook...

1 minute ago, Ninjasupahsquid said:

I was just wondering is it normal for laptops to get this hot

darn if only we knew how hot it was.... we could say if it was within spec and tell you if it's normal or not

Dont use task manager to measure accurate cpu information

If you determine temps and thermal throttling is the problem, I'd just clean and repaste. Laptops just get clogged, and the constant heat will dry the cheap thermal paste. More so if you have cats. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Just now, emosun said:

darn if only we knew how hot it was.... we could say if it was within spec and tell you if it's normal or not

instead of being a smartass on this forum... go bother someone else... at least people like @bleedblue are being nice

Just now, Syntaxvgm said:

Dont use task manager to measure accurate cpu information

I'd just clean and repaste. Laptops just get clogged, and the constant heat will dry the cheap thermal paste. More so if you have cats. 

This...

Especially cleaning that heatsink. Lint buildup and dust on everything provides insulation the traps heat on components.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Razor Blade said:

This...

Especially cleaning that heatsink. Lint buildup and dust on everything provides insulation the traps heat on components.

yes that important its not the fan that's the problem, the heatsink is the area that basically gets a sheet of dust on it that you can literally pull off. This is normal, believe it or not, because they are so dense.  Blowing it out likely wont do shit. 
Image result for laptop dust

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Thanks I'll order some artic silver and re-apply some paste onto the CPU... also While I'm in there should I get a new CPU that matches the socket... and add some more ram?

9 minutes ago, Ninjasupahsquid said:

Thanks I'll order some artic silver and re-apply some paste onto the CPU... also While I'm in there should I get a new CPU that matches the socket... and add some more ram?

You can't upgrade that laptop's cpu, it's soldered on.