Should I buy HD 600's for gaming?

Cactu
Go to solution Solved by Max_Settings,
16 minutes ago, Cactusneedle_18 said:

would you say the 6xx's would be better for gaming?

also could you elaborate on why the 600's are bad for gaming?

58X is what I would get for your budget for gaming. HD600 has very narrow sound stage so positional Audio is very bad. I have HD580, HD58X, HD600, HD6XX, and HD660S. I know that series well. 660S is the best for gaming out of all of them, but they are expensive. 58X would be #2.

So I recently bought a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 880’s. I absolutely love the things but after 10 minutes of wearing the begin to hurt my head. I've already bought a replacement head cushion and have tried multiple configurations for wearing and I just cannot seem to get these things comfortable. I love the sound signature and I love how they perform for games but I desire something more, and given that I just recently got $100 I'm thinking that I want to step up from the almost $200 cost of these to the $300 hd600’s.  The reason I want the 600’s is because I've had a pair of Sennheiser Headphones before and the fit on my head is absolutely stellar, and I've heard nothing but praise for these as well.  My concerns are as follows: Because they are reference headphones I'm worried that I won't have good directional or spatial hearing, I don't know if that's related to the soundstage or not, but I figured I would poll you guys.  I don't have more than $300 to spend, and if I did I would immediately buy the 660’s. So to finish this, my main question is will these headphones be good for gaming in terms of spatial hearing and auditory awareness? 

PS: I like to play games like R6 siege

Thanks for reading and the feedback!

12 minutes ago, Cactusneedle_18 said:

My concerns are as follows: Because they are reference headphones I'm worried that I won't have good directional or spatial hearing, I don't know if that's related to the soundstage or not, but I figured I would poll you guys.

I'd recommend either the HD6XX's (what I use) or the K7xx's both from MassDrop based on @Max_Settings's side by side review of multiple headphones

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

1 minute ago, TVwazhere said:

I'd recommend either the HD6XX's (what I use) or the K7xx's both from MassDrop based on @Max_Settings's side by side review of multiple headphones

See Im banking on the ability to get them reasonably quickly and having the ability to return them if I dont like them given as these 880's will be the third pair ive returned for not liking them. I hate having to return perfectly good hardware but the cans ive had have just not been right and I've had no way to test them first

1 minute ago, Cactusneedle_18 said:

See Im banking on the ability to get them reasonably quickly and having the ability to return them if I dont like them given as these 880's will be the third pair ive returned for not liking them. I hate having to return perfectly good hardware but the cans ive had have just not been right and I've had no way to test them first

I'm not sure which Sennheiser headphone you had, but I've gone from the HD202 to the 429 to the 518, and when I got the HD6xx's I havent looked back. They were all comfortable but obvious bumps in quality. I've heard the AKG K7xx's are also extremely comfortable after a small break in period

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Just now, TVwazhere said:

I'm not sure which Sennheiser headphone you had, but I've gone from the HD202 to the 429 to the 518, and when I got the HD6xx's I havent looked back. They were all comfortable but obvious bumps in quality. I've heard the AKG K7xx's are also extremely comfortable after a small break in period

I had the 598's so any of those would be a step up, but the HD 600's are exactly what I want if they are good for gaming. As much as I would like to buy the HD 6xx's I just cant risk that $200 with no return policy. So disregarding the 6xx's what do you think of the 600's?

8 minutes ago, Cactusneedle_18 said:

I had the 598's so any of those would be a step up, but the HD 600's are exactly what I want if they are good for gaming. As much as I would like to buy the HD 6xx's I just cant risk that $200 with no return policy. So disregarding the 6xx's what do you think of the 600's?

They're basically the same but just more expensive

1 minute ago, Max_Settings said:

No HD600 is terrible for gaming. 

16 minutes ago, Cactusneedle_18 said:

58X is what I would get for your budget for gaming. HD600 has very narrow sound stage so positional Audio is very bad. I have HD580, HD58X, HD600, HD6XX, and HD660S. I know that series well. 660S is the best for gaming out of all of them, but they are expensive. 58X would be #2.

4 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

would it be a reasonable idea to get the 6xx's for more quality at a slight price of losing sound stage?

4 minutes ago, Cactusneedle_18 said:

would it be a reasonable idea to get the 6xx's for more quality at a slight price of losing sound stage?

Well I wouldn’t say 6XX is more quality. They are different, neither one is better. 6XXs also need an Amp to be driven well, whereas 58Xs do not.

8 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

Well I wouldn’t say 6XX is more quality. They are different, neither one is better. 6XXs also need an Amp to be driven well, whereas 58Xs do not.

I have an SMSL M3 driving my 250ohm DT 880's, and what would you say the differences are in sound?

18 minutes ago, Cactusneedle_18 said:

I have an SMSL M3 driving my 250ohm DT 880's, and what would you say the differences are in sound?

Differences between the 880 and 58X?

12 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

Differences between the 880 and 58X?

no between the 6XX and the 58X

If DT880 hurts your head because it’s too small, avoid any AKG headphone immediately.

i bought my DT880 coz the K7xx is too small.

HD600/650 doesnt have the largest soundstage but they would be almost your only choice at the price bracket

Just now, xtroria said:

If DT880 hurts your head because it’s too small, avoid any AKG headphone immediately.

i bought my DT880 coz the K7xx is too small.

HD600/650 doesnt have the largest soundstage but they would be almost your only choice at the price bracket

yeah ive tried my friends K7XX's and they fit fine but they are still odd and uncomfortable.

5 minutes ago, Cactusneedle_18 said:

no between the 6XX and the 58X

Ah. Sound stage on the two is the same. 58X has more low end, sharper highs, and better imaging. 6XX is more relaxed with rolled off highs.

Ah. Sound stage on the two is the same. 58X has more low end, sharper highs, and better imaging. 6XX is more relaxed with rolled off highs.

For OP, it’s not even a choice of what headphone has the largest soundstage. It’s just what headphone that will fit between his noggins because even DT880 is too small

I'm not a huge fan of sharp highs because they give me headaches, but the low end and imaging sounds nice. Im not sure on which I want

Just now, Cactusneedle_18 said:

I'm not a huge fan of sharp highs because they give me headaches, but the low end and imaging sounds nice. Im not sure on which I want

No but they aren't sharp at all, just more than the 6XX.

2 minutes ago, xtroria said:

For OP, it’s not even a choice of what headphone has the largest soundstage. It’s just what headphone that will fit between his noggins because even DT880 is too small

nah ear cups just touch my ears and make them uncomfortable, thats why I want senns because the oval shape will not bother my ears

7 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

No but they aren't sharp at all, just more than the 6XX.

ok so the 58x's look like my ideal due to the bass and imaging, but I'm still nervous that I wont like them and wont be able to return them

3 minutes ago, Cactusneedle_18 said:

ok so the 58x's look like my ideal due to the bass and imaging, but I'm still nervous that I wont like them and wont be able to return them

Sell them then. They don't loose a ton of value.

15 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

Sell them then. They don't loose a ton of value.

Thank you very much for the advice. Just joined the drop for the 58x's with 14 hours left. I hope this goes well!

6 minutes ago, Cactusneedle_18 said:

Thank you very much for the advice. Just joined the drop for the 58x's with 14 hours left. I hope this goes well!

FYI if you want to mod the 58X into the 660S it is very easy.

mod.PNG.bb89fb832b257d6ecc9ffcfb30a013d9.PNG