How to fix High Clock at idle? (causes fairly high temps with no usage)

Go to solution Solved by Dayfly,

For anyone that stumbles across this, it might just be one specific process running in the background causing this. I have Solidworks visualise installed on my pc and it has a background process “SWVisualize.BoostService” which immediately after forcing it to stop drops the memory clock to a more reasonable number.

So you should look through your running programs and see if there are things you can kill which might be the culprit.

Hey, for some time I haven’t been able to figure out how to have my MSI 1080 Ti clock down when at idle. I’ve searched online and tried a few things but it never works. I just want it to clock down because its unnecessarily at 62c at idle, then the fan kicks in, drops to 57 then goes back up to 62 and the cycle restarts. GPU usage is always between 1-5%.

Here are some observations/things I’ve tried:

·         Default resolution 1440p 60hz

·         1 monitor

·         When installing GPU driver perform clean install

·         Nvidia control panel > manage 3D settings > power management > Optimal Power/ Adaptive (tried both)

·         use MSI afterburner no overclock

I had the same problem with my GTX 970 but sometimes it would get fixed for some reason and wouldnt have high clocks at idle.

Does anyone know how to help?

Thanks guys

For anyone that stumbles across this, it might just be one specific process running in the background causing this. I have Solidworks visualise installed on my pc and it has a background process “SWVisualize.BoostService” which immediately after forcing it to stop drops the memory clock to a more reasonable number.

So you should look through your running programs and see if there are things you can kill which might be the culprit.