250 watts good?

respectable
Go to solution Solved by Darkseth,

it's often not about a bad PSU. They are often not "good", but technically "enough". The "minimum" to run the Configuration stable (there were some cases, where it was TOO close, and sometimes it shut down).

So, often when you add a stronger GPU, the PSU is no longer strong enough to deliver enough.

But, 255w~ output is enough. a 1050 ti is set to 75w TDP (and often comes without a power connector, so it can only draw 75w max), but in reality during Gaming, it will  draw more likeely 65w. You could bring that easy down to 40-50w, if you Undervolt the Card (and maybe slightly underclock).

If you slightly undervolt, even a GTX 1060 could be able to run. i've had a GTX 1060, Downvolted/clocked to 0.800v, 1876 Mhz (slower than my stock, but similar to non-OC models. Got my Card to 85w power consumption instead 120-130w), and an i7 6700k @ 4.4 Ghz.

During Rise of the Tomb Raider maxed out 1080p (35 fps~, struggling thanks to SSAA x4), my whole Computer pulled only 160w~ out of the Wall. Calculating the PSU efficiency, the Computer itself consumed only 140-150w~ .

Similar strong Undervolt with my GTX 1080, my PC pulls out 240-245w~ out of the wall. Whole computer, not just the GPU.

Is the psu a switching power or continuous power?

what are your all other components?

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

5 minutes ago, lewdicrous said:

What are your specs? We can't say yes or no without knowing that

well oof i cant really tell you my specs currentlly but i have a dell optiplex 9020 sff and i7 processor (not sure which one) and ddr3 ram 8gb (im currently in a foreign country so i cant start my pc)

I would guess that you're running an i7 4770S.

The 250W Dell PSUs are pretty well built, it should suffice.

I once ran a Core2 Quad Q9650, 8GB DDR2 and a 1050 Ti with a 300W Fujitsu PSU, so no worries.

Main PC: R7 3700X / Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro Wifi / Radeon RX 5700 XT / 32GB DDR4-3200 / 250GB & 2TB Crucial MX500 (in HP Prodesk 400 Case)

Laptop: R5 2500U / Radeon Vega 8 / 8GB DDR4-2400 / 500GB SK Hynix BC501 (HP Envy x360 13)

My little Server: i7-7700 / Asrock H110M-ITX / 24GB DDR4-2400 / Samsung 860 Pro 250GB & Seagate Firecuda 2TB / VMware ESXi 6.7

(Don't tell me i should Name them, i don't want to ^^)

Ive heard that manufacturers build them to do exactly what they were meant to do with no extra added parts not a drop more so i am worried that the psu might be insufficient and kill the gpu or possibly the computer and i also dont have money to spend on a budget pc (kinda broke right now) so im trying to be as careful as possible 

8 minutes ago, respectable said:

Ive heard that manufacturers build them to do exactly what they were meant to do with no extra added parts not a drop more so i am worried that the psu might be insufficient and kill the gpu or possibly the computer and i also dont have money to spend on a budget pc (kinda broke right now) so im trying to be as careful as possible 

the wattage is enough for a 1050/ti, and the prebuilt companies aren't stupid enough to risk a bunch of RMAs by getting a bad PSU.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

Just now, Herman Mcpootis said:

the wattage is enough for a 1050/ti, and the prebuilt companies aren't stupid enough to risk a bunch of RMAs by getting a bad PSU.

thank you 

2 minutes ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

prebuilt companies aren't stupid enough to risk a bunch of RMAs by getting a bad PSU for the duration the warranty period, which is what, one-two years in most countries?

Fixed it.

That said, Dell is probably not the worst company in this aspect.

Main rig: i7 8086K // EVGA Z370 Micro // 16GB Gskill TridentZ 3200Mhz CL14 // Sapphire Pulse RX 7800XT// a variety of noctua cooling // Corsair RM750x v2 //  Fractal Meshify C

Secondary rig: R5 3600 // MSI B450i Gaming Plus // 16GB Gskill FlareX 3200CL14 // MSI GTX 1080ti Gaming X // Cooler Master V650 // Fractal Meshify C

Audio setup: Audient iD4 // Adam A7X // Sennheiser HD 650 // Sennheiser HD 25-II // Audio Technica M50x // Sennheiser Momentum 4

it's often not about a bad PSU. They are often not "good", but technically "enough". The "minimum" to run the Configuration stable (there were some cases, where it was TOO close, and sometimes it shut down).

So, often when you add a stronger GPU, the PSU is no longer strong enough to deliver enough.

But, 255w~ output is enough. a 1050 ti is set to 75w TDP (and often comes without a power connector, so it can only draw 75w max), but in reality during Gaming, it will  draw more likeely 65w. You could bring that easy down to 40-50w, if you Undervolt the Card (and maybe slightly underclock).

If you slightly undervolt, even a GTX 1060 could be able to run. i've had a GTX 1060, Downvolted/clocked to 0.800v, 1876 Mhz (slower than my stock, but similar to non-OC models. Got my Card to 85w power consumption instead 120-130w), and an i7 6700k @ 4.4 Ghz.

During Rise of the Tomb Raider maxed out 1080p (35 fps~, struggling thanks to SSAA x4), my whole Computer pulled only 160w~ out of the Wall. Calculating the PSU efficiency, the Computer itself consumed only 140-150w~ .

Similar strong Undervolt with my GTX 1080, my PC pulls out 240-245w~ out of the wall. Whole computer, not just the GPU.