Ask a German (almost) everything

Tataffe

What do you think about strangers? (Heard that Germans are rather reserved.)

CPUIntel Core I5-3570k @4.2Ghz |  CoolerBeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MOBOMsi Z77 Mpower | GPUSapphire HD7970 Dual-X 3GB RAMCorsair Vengeance Low Profile 1600mhz (2x8GB) | HDD Samsung SSD 840 EVO 120GB & HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB | PSU: BeQuiet! PurePower L8 630w | Case: Corsair C70 Military Green | Display: BenQ GL2450HM 24" KeyboardCM Storm QuickFire Ultimate Keyboard (Browns) | MouseR.A.T 7 | Mouse padSteelseries QcK Mass | Headset: Plantronics Gamecom 780 | OS: Windows 7 Ultimate | Picture of setuphttp://i.imgur.com/o8jKsQJ.jpg (OLD)

Don't particle act like waves though? The whole "is it a particle or is it a wave" question. I am not a quantum physicist by any means so just stop me if I'm talking shite. :)

Yes they do. I don't like the physical chemistry, so my knowledge might be (and probably is) faulty around that, but those are basics.

If you want to understand more of how photons/ particle waves in general work I'd recommend reading short articles about the double split experiment, Franck-Hertz experiment or others (which i can't remember the bloody name of but helped me understanding the behaviour of particles).

It actually is in somewhat interesting, i actually like physical chemistry, until it comes to calculating, what you observed. :-!

who cares...

Do the grades achieved at around 10 years of age affect ones ability to go to college/university in Germany? What do you think of your education system? (Was recently discussing this)

A little bit. In most German states, your grades in grammar school are the deciding factor for the choice of your secondary school type. You need an Abitur (general qualification for university entrance) to be able to apply for university, and only the Gymnasium (highest type of secondary school out of three) offers a direct way to the Abitur. However, there are many other yet longer ways to achieve that.

I am in favor of this system (dividing students according to their skills and capabilities), but I do not like how every state has it's own system, there is absolutely no reason for that.

What do you think about strangers? (Heard that Germans are rather reserved.)

I have no opinion on strangers in general.

THIS SIGNATURE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Do the grades achieved at around 10 years of age affect ones ability to go to college/university in Germany? What do you think of your education system? (Was recently discussing this)

Edit: nvm, OP was faster.

who cares...

I have two question:

How bored are you that you decided that doing a Q&A about your nationality on a tech forum was a good idea?

How bored are we that we're actually participating?

i7 4770k @ 4.6ghz | Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H | G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB | Sapphire Vapor-X 7970 Ghz | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2

Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD | Toshiba 7200rpm 3TB | Seasonic 660W Platinum | Corsair H100i

Logitech G400s | Ducky Shine III Cherry MX Brown

I have two question:

How bored are you that you decided that doing a Q&A about your nationality on a tech forum was a good idea?

He/she is probably quite bored but that doesn't stop this type of discussion happening regularly. There has been a "Ask a" Brit, Swede, Norwegian, Japanese, Canadian and probably many more. They are only the ones I have seen.

I am procrastinating so not really bored. I have to study for an exam. :)

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

Erdinger Weißbier :)

Ich mag auch Erdinger Weißbier, haha. Schmeckt gut, aber gibt sicher etwas besseres.

Case: Fractal Design R4  Motherboard: Asus Z87-Plus  Processor: Intel i7 4770K  GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X  RAM: Corsair Vengenace Pro 16GB  PSU: Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 10 750W  SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB   Monitor(s): LG 24GM77  Keyboard: Logitech G410  Mouse: Zowie EC1-A  Mousepad: Puretrak Talent White Ed.  Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud II

BMW, Mercedes - Benz or Audi? (i guess mercedes since you're from Stuttgart, am I right? :P)

Porsche too. (Stuttgart)

OS - Windows 8.1 Motherboard - ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 Processor - AMD FX 8350 Black Edition RAM - 16GB 2x8 Crucial Ballistix Sport Graphics Card - Gigabyte Windforce 2 OC GTX 660 Power Supply - Corsair CX750M CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X60 Wireless Adapter - ASUS PCE-N15 PCI-E Adapter Fans - x3 Masscool blue LED 120mm Fans Case - Fractal Design Define R4

Monitor - Dell S2230MX 21.5-inch Keyboard - Logitech G105 Mouse - Logitech G602 Speakers - Logitech Z130 Headsets/Headphones - Tt eSports Shock, AKG K240, California Headphones Laredo Phone - iPhone 4S

Are you taught about Otto Von Bismarck like Americans are taught about George Washington (heroic)

OS - Windows 8.1 Motherboard - ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 Processor - AMD FX 8350 Black Edition RAM - 16GB 2x8 Crucial Ballistix Sport Graphics Card - Gigabyte Windforce 2 OC GTX 660 Power Supply - Corsair CX750M CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X60 Wireless Adapter - ASUS PCE-N15 PCI-E Adapter Fans - x3 Masscool blue LED 120mm Fans Case - Fractal Design Define R4

Monitor - Dell S2230MX 21.5-inch Keyboard - Logitech G105 Mouse - Logitech G602 Speakers - Logitech Z130 Headsets/Headphones - Tt eSports Shock, AKG K240, California Headphones Laredo Phone - iPhone 4S

I have two question:

I have exams upcoming, so I needed an alternative :P

Are you taught about Otto Von Bismarck like Americans are taught about George Washington (heroic)

I don't know a lot about George Washington. Bismarck is seen as one of the positive figures in German history, for stuff like his foreign policy or social policy.

Schwanz?

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

Schwanz?

pvH2quI.gif

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

may be a odd question, but can you still feel the aftermaths of WWII in Germany? 

Getting back to this. A construction worker died today as an undetected WWII bomb detonated while he moved demolition waste with his excavator. The explosion could still be percieved more than 30 km away. Look for #euskirchen on Twitter to see some pics.

Getting back to this. A construction worker died today as an undetected WWII bomb detonated while he moved demolition waste with his excavator. The explosion could still be percieved more than 30 km away. Look for #euskirchen on Twitter to see some pics.

I want to go back to this but make it abit more personal, can you feel the effects of WWII when it comes to culture, lifestyle etc?

:/

I want to go back to this but make it abit more personal, can you feel the effects of WWII when it comes to culture, lifestyle etc?

We're a quite pacifist people today. Just see the hesitation when it comes to stuff like Lybia or Mali. Currently, people are trying to block the consideration of using drones in the military ...

For lifestyle, I can't really see any effect from the war, but from the Theird Reich there definitely is one.

Just read about the poor guy who accidentally detonated a World War II bomb while operating a digger. I wonder how many people are killed or injured each year because of ordinance let over from World War II.

Not that many. Construction sites located in areas that were bombed in the war have to undergo a check for unexploded bombs. If one is found, they will evacuate the area and defuse or detonate it.

Have you had weihenstephaner, one of my favourite beers :D

The mother of all beers :D I think I had one once, but I can't really remember my judgement.

did your parents read you the non cencered (grimm bros) bedtime stories?

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

did your parents read you the non cencered (grimm bros) bedtime stories?

Can't remember.

Is it true that german engineers shoot themsellves if they screw up?

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

Just read about the poor guy who accidentally detonated a World War II bomb while operating a digger. I wonder how many people are killed or injured each year because of ordinance let over from World War II.

I'm not sure on the scale of WWII ordanance, but if you want too see effects go to countries like Laos and Vietnam. Infantry mines rip out legs almost daily in there. Luckily the numbers are probably gone down now

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

What's your first thought when thinking about the Netherlands?

Be honest here, what I find is that more and more people think of Germany as that eastern "part" of the same people, Germans are very similar, which I agree on.

Don't get me wrong here, lots of people still are a bit angry because of WW2 but that's to be expected, we have angry Indonesians hating us for colonising their place not too long ago.

So many things I could write here... things like this.

Meine güte ein deutscher im Forum von einem Kanadischen Youtuber, Grüße aus NRW