what are the best cheap 140mm case fans and question about best fan config on cpu water coolers.

printf_cyber
Just now, NoccoAddict said:

If going with a PWM fan, turning on the PWM mode is a MUST, it is loud as f*ck on Default settings

If you run it in a wrong mode then the fan will run at full speed.

But do you mean that your arctic fan was loud, or some other, because in my experience arctic fans are very quiet.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

5 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

If you run it in a wrong mode then the fan will run at full speed.

But do you mean that your arctic fan was loud, or some other, because in my experience arctic fans are very quiet.

Yeah, I got 2 120mm PWM fans, threw them out the case as soon as I used them for 2 days, until I read the manual that said you have to turn on the Silent mode in Asus BIOS's. Since then it they have been working flawlessly

9 hours ago, NoccoAddict said:

If going with a PWM fan, turning on the PWM mode is a MUST, it is loud as f*ck on Default settings

Unless you're using a hardware controller built into the fan, the settings are from the header you plug the fan into and not the fan itself. Most quiet fans are meant to be run at low rpm and have a high rpm range that isn't as quiet but is there in case it's needed. 

@mbasil22 What are your specs and where are you using the fans?

Where are you shopping / located? Budget? What are you looking to get out of the fans?

Moved to Air Cooling.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

4 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

@mbasil22 What are your specs and where are you using the fans?

Where are you shopping / located? Budget? What are you looking to get out of the fans?

Build - PCPartPicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/mbasil22/saved/Px6r6h

--Some parts like storage and optical drives are missing because i have then already and don't need to buy them--

I am using the fans in the Phanteks P350X case. I don't have a lot of money to spend, so non-RGB will work.

The build is already out of my budget, which is $740. A build just like this one would've costed me $600 if I was in 2017...

For the fan budget, I think not more than $45, and I want 3 x 140 mm case fans, 2 for intake and 1 for exhaust, temps wont be too bad, and because the Phanteks P350X case has the front panel blocking the view of the fans, I might throw in 1 more intake fan that I have from some pre-built system, It will mess up my OCD, but then, the budget...

And other than the fans, I think, I should wait for the prices of these parts to come down, cause this build is just not worth the money, YouTubers did $500 builds that performed just like this would, and the problem is I am 1 year ahead now, so I think I should wait until September or so, and keep checking if these parts are in stock, and the prices come down :(:(

Also, I don't really care about the noise, but I DO, so PWM mode fans would be good, default speed is gonna make it sound like a server...

I am shopping online, the things that ship to Pakistan (where i live) will be shipped here, and the things that don't, I will ship it to my dad's place in UAE, since he is coming in 5 months. Also, my dad works in electronics, and has a shop from where he buys cables and stuff, so he says he might have to pay less and we can save money by buying it from his local shop. After I am done finalizing this build (only the fans are left), I will give my dad the list to check for the parts there in UAE, and if they are cheap, I wont buy online. I might come back on the forum, If something online isn't available locally in UAE, so you might need to tell me and alternative to one of the parts! - hope you do

46 minutes ago, mbasil22 said:

I am 1 year ahead now, so I think I should wait until September or so, and keep checking if these parts are in stock, and the prices come down :(:(

Also, I don't really care about the noise, but I DO, so PWM mode fans would be good, default speed is gonna make it sound like a server...

The optimal parts will depend on pricing which wavers. If you're not purchasing the parts soon, I'd suggest planning later -- probably a few days before purchase at most.

Fan control can be done via pwm or dc and is usually dependent on the header you're powering the fan off of instead of the fan itself. This means fan control is down to the motherboard more often than the fan. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

If you're running them off the PWM headers on your board and the board automatically increases the speed to 100% at 75*C then don't get anything that has a super high top speed. Well unless you don't mind the noise. I tried some 140mm Noctua Industrial 3000 RPM fans and I learned real quick I didn't want them to run at 3000 RPMs, but couldn't prevent it  while plugged directly into the motherboard. I ended up selling those. 

I do enjoy how quiet their Redux line is though. The grey Noctua fans. The 1500 RPM 140mm I have pointed directly at my RAM and VRM. I also have a 120mm 1700 RPM I sometimes use which is also quiet.

Attached to my radiator I had the stock Thermaltake Riing RGB fans that were 1500 RPM and were pretty darn quiet, but those ran off a controller which plugged into the board. I switched to push/pull on my radiator and found on eBay six Corsair SP120 2700 RPM fans someone pulled off of several different radiators while new. They can be kinda loud at full speed, but not nearly as loud as the Noctua Inustrial 3000 RPM fans. 

I did find that either the Noctua Industrial or the Corsair SP120 fans were extremely tolerable at 2000 RPMs and what I would consider quiet at around 1700~1800 RPMs. Just be careful with fans that have super high speeds that you will run directly off your motherboard. 

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

• 2 weeks later...
On 18-8-2018 at 3:12 PM, mbasil22 said:

Anyone in 2018?

i really like the gelid solutions fans! amazing value

GELID does focus on industrial thermal solutions as well unlike other thermal solution companies, they haven't gone that far...