A friend is looking to get a new starter phone

A friend of mine asked for some help locating a phone for him to use with Ting. I was hoping for some suggestions for a good starter phone with a good battery and for about $100-$200.

My friend will mainly be using the phone for calls. The only other feature he expressed interest in is using maps for when he goes on trips every year or two.

These are the main points I am considering when looking for a good match:

• The phone needs to have a pretty good battery life.
  • At least 32GB of storage.
  • I would prefer that to not be extra bloatware/ apps that are not needed. It would be nice if it was close to stock android.

One other thing to keep in mind is that it would be very unlikely for him to play many games or watch videos using the phone.

Thanks, and I appreciate any help or advice :)

12 hours ago, AskTJ said:

Xiaomi M1 A1.

Cool, thanks! I will look into that phone.

Your friend should look into Huawei products, they are quality devices you can get for very cheap. Whats great about their phones is that they look like a flag ship devices while still having a reasonable price tag.

After looking into different options available I have so far found a few phones that I like so far.

The phones I have liked so far are the Zenfone 3 Zoom, Xiaomi Mi A1, and the Nokia 6.1.

Both the Zenfone and Xiaomi phones have 15 plus hour battery life and for a decent price. I also like that they both have USB type C.

The main thing I am concerned about these two phones is whether I would be able to make phone calls in the US with this phone considering that they are not marketed for the USA.

1 hour ago, James_Nilknarf said:

After looking into different options available I have so far found a few phones that I like so far.

The phones I have liked so far are the Zenfone 3 Zoom, Xiaomi Mi A1, and the Nokia 6.1.

Both the Zenfone and Xiaomi phones have 15 plus hour battery life and for a decent price. I also like that they both have USB type C.

The main thing I am concerned about these two phones is whether I would be able to make phone calls in the US with this phone considering that they are not marketed for the USA.

They will work. They have international bands. My dad purchased his from Hong Kong and he gets full 4G in Australia, Singapore and Russia.

hi.

1 hour ago, AskTJ said:

They will work. They have international bands. My dad purchased his from Hong Kong and he gets full 4G in Australia, Singapore and Russia.

That is good to know. This is my first time buying a phone that I was not already pretty familiar with. lol :)

I recommend the Cubot max.

It has 32gb storage and 3GB ram with a 1.3GHZ octa-core cpu. it does have a nice 4100mah battery.

i have been using this device for a good year and it has been doing well.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cubot-MAX-6-Inch-SIM-Free-Smartphone-Black/dp/B01L6R13LA

here is the link to the phone if you are interested.

On 2018-08-18 at 4:52 PM, James_Nilknarf said:

The Nokia 6.1 is really good. It may be more expensive for fewer features, but this phone leaves nothing to complain about.