Help sorting a build ~$2.5K AUD

Benjals
Go to solution Solved by Spotty,
4 minutes ago, Benjals said:

Ahh yep rightio I'll see how I go, mainly depends on how the prices add up from one retailer, because it will be to expensive shipping wise to source from individual retailers.
Also, thoughts on the be Quiet! dark rock 3? comes in a bundle here https://www.pccasegear.com/bundle/85/intel-core-i7-8700k-with-be-quiet-dark-rock-pro-3-cpu-cooler
Cheers!

1 minute ago, Benjals said:

Oh awesome, thanks for this.
On the cpu coolers, is the liquid cooling necessary? I know in the past the summer has been brutal but I think the air coolers generally go alright, there are also bundles for them on pccasegear.
Also would it be bad to get everything but the gpu and run it till I decide? Been thinking about doing it but I'm worried new cpu stuff might come along at the same time or something?

Water cooler isn't necessary. The Dark Rock Pro 3 would be a good cooler for it. I'd go with the Dark Rock Pro 4 personally since they revised the mounting mechanism and made it a bit easier to mount, but the bundle price from PCCG is decent. It's about $80 extra for the bundle, but the Dark Rock Pro 4 is $120 from PCCG. (The DRP3 is $99, so you are saving $20 with the bundle deal). Does PCCG have a bundle with the DRP4 cooler?

Buying in one place is smart, as shipping costs quickly add up in Aus. You should be able to get most parts from PCCG, but if you're buying a case as well then be prepared for $40-$50 shipping costs.
PCCG have a pretty good range and their pricing isn't too bad. For what you can't get from PCCG, check eBay and Amazon Australia. With Amazon Prime (which you can get a free trial of atm or it's $5/month) you can get free shipping on eligible products. eBay stuff normally comes with free shipping anyway - Just buy from reputable stores on eBay and keep an eye out for the 20% off coupons that go around every few weeks. Personally I find buying HDDs and SSDs a fair bit cheaper from eBay than PCCG, assuming you can pick up one of those coupons (they advertise them on the product listing and it applies at checkout).

The Ryzen 2700(x) does not come with integrated graphics, so you will need a dedicated GPU to run a display from it. The Intel 8700k comes with integrated graphics that, while aren't great and not really suitable for gaming, will at least give you a display for the desktop so you can still use it as a computer until you buy a dedicated GPU. If you have an old graphics card you can use then just stick that in.
We're expecting the new generation of cards to be announced officially within the next 2 weeks. Maybe 4-8 weeks before it's available in Australia. When you're spending $500-$1500 AUD on a GPU, you may as well wait a few weeks to see if a better model comes out that is the same price/cheaper.

There's no new stuff set to release soon for Ryzen at the moment, with the exception of Threadripper which is aimed at more workstation rather than gaming rigs anyway.
Intel is set to release the 9 series soon, so i5 9500k(?), i7 9700k, and i9 9900k. Not entirely sure when it will be released, sometime within the next few months (Start of October for USA possibly?).
If you're going to wait for the new series of GPUs from Nvidia, it might be wise to wait for the new Intel CPUs if you are planning on going with Intel. If you are leaning towards the AMD Ryzen CPUs, then you may as well buy now (if you have an old graphics card to use in the system).

6 minutes ago, STRESSMASTER said:
  Reveal hidden contents

cooler temps mean longer life of CPU usually

A CPU with a Dark Rock Pro 3/4 is not going to be running at 110°C where the CPU will be damaged and lifespan shortened. Even if for whatever reason it did, it would thermal throttle or shut down to protect itself if temperatures were high enough to cause damage to the CPU. The difference between 55C and 60C under load will not cause any discernible difference in life expectancy of the CPU. So, no, running an AIO cooler will not make your CPU last longer than running it with a good quality air cooler.

2 minutes ago, STRESSMASTER said:
  Reveal hidden contents

That is why i only recommend the h80i or h100i. If for whatever reason they do leak(which has yet to happen in 10 years and 6 units for me) they are not filled with water but a super fast evaporating (alcohol?) liquid that leaves no residue.

That's incorrect. The H80i and H100i are filled mostly with distilled water and a bit of Propylene Glycol added to protect against bacterial growth.

What kind of liquid is used inside the Hydro Series CPU coolers?
The liquid inside our Hydro Series CPU coolers is a mixture of distilled water with Propylene Glycol added to prevent corrosion and organic build-up.
https://www.corsair.com/us/en/FAQs

23 hours ago, Spotty said:

snip

Jesus this is a lot of information, thanks!
I was thinking of waiting it out, but chances are the price hikes on the new CPUs are gonna be a bit grim.
I'll still wait on the GPU though.

Surprisingly the shipping is like 30 dollars express which is pretty good.

I just had a question about the RAM, is it best to go with 3200 DDR4 for the Intel platform?I know Ryzen needs it but I'm not sure about Intel, I just want to make sure before I go and buy the cheaper slower stuff.

Edit: Oh and also, should the PSU be bumped up to 650 TXM for a 1080ti build? You listed 550 for both builds but they had the 1070s.