Sandy Bridge with gtx 1080. . . BOTTLENECKS?

Atm I have a Sandy Bridge i5 2400 with intel stock cooler(bad ik) with 8gb ddr3 ram and some intel mobo(These parts were scavenged from office computers and stuff found on the street). I then blew my money on a msi gtx 1080 gaming x and a fancy silver stone primera rgb case. I also have an 60hz 1080p moniter. 

So I have about 600 + plus lets say 400 coming in birthday money coming(in about in a month). Whats the best purchase ???? 

Monitor or cpu, mobo, ram. 

LAstly does my current system have any bottlenecks?/????

Thanks a bunch :)

Id get a new cpu and ram, either ryzen or intel, intel for gaming, ryzen for productivity,

with 1k, 240 for eithr 2600X or 8600k, 120-140 for mobo and 120-140 for ram.

then mabye 200-300 for a nice monitor.

mabye 150 for new case and psu if you want.

Well... The i5 2400 will certainly bottleneck a GTX 1080.

That said, you should have no problem achieving a 60FPS on 1080p with it but you can achieve that even with a GTX 1060 6GB.

There are also new cards coming out (very likely) quite soon so you should also wait for that if you can. 

You should consider making a whole system upgrade if you can save enough money for that. 

1 minute ago, WereCat said:

Well... The i5 2400 will certainly bottleneck a GTX 1080.

That said, you should have no problem achieving a 60FPS on 1080p with it but you can achieve that even with a GTX 1060 6GB.

There are also new cards coming out (very likely) quite soon so you should also wait for that if you can. 

That way the price will drop?

I also have an 60hz 1080p moniter

Honestly save your money, for 1080p 60hz what you have is plenty... otherwise buy a nice 4k monitor, that will push your gpu and move the load away from the cpu.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

you grab a nice Z97 mobo and an I7 4790K + nice cooler. you get to keep your ram, you wont have any bottlenecking to worry about and then maybe a nice new boot SSD or PSU

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, Lil Micro Uzi said:

That way the price will drop?

Maybe. 

Or you can just grab a new card within your price range. 

3 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

Id get a new cpu and ram, either ryzen or intel, intel for gaming, ryzen for productivity,

with 1k, 240 for eithr 2600X or 8600k, 120-140 for mobo and 120-140 for ram.

then mabye 200-300 for a nice monitor.

mabye 150 for new case and psu if you want.

Thanks a lot. No need for a new case, just got one. Any motherboard recomendations. . . 

4 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

A 1440p monitor and a used i7-3770 from ebay would be good investments.

Could you give me an example for the monitor

1 minute ago, ChernobilChuck said:

He already has a gtx 1080 tho.

Oh, I can't read then. 

If he has 600$ then he can certainly afford a new rest of the system. 

4 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Honestly save your money, for 1080p 60hz what you have is plenty... otherwise buy a nice 4k monitor, that will push your gpu and move the load away from the cpu.

I am into fps games so will my current cpu be able to allow my gpu to shoot out a good refresh rate (75 or higher)

2 minutes ago, Lil Micro Uzi said:

Thanks a lot. No need for a new case, just got one. Any motherboard recomendations. . . 

Asus prime, cheap gigabyte ones like the HD3, I’m a big fan if gigabyte mobos,

EVGA’s FTW and Classified K are the best imo. Excellent power delivery, expansion and ram slots. Amazing for overclockng

1 minute ago, Lil Micro Uzi said:

I am into fps games so will my current cpu be able to allow my gpu to shoot out a good refresh rate (75 or higher)

Hate to break it to you, but if you have a 60hz monitor you won't notice any difference at higher framerates - you'll only ever see 60.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

6 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

you grab a nice Z97 mobo and an I7 4790K + nice cooler. you get to keep your ram, you wont have any bottlenecking to worry about and then maybe a nice new boot SSD or PSU

Hmmm, whats ur opinion on monitor. Keep or get a new one?

2 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Hate to break it to you, but if you have a 60hz monitor you won't notice any difference at higher framerates - you'll only ever see 60.

Lmao, i understand that, that why i want to upgrade my monitor . . 

3 minutes ago, Sauron said:

And I was talking about at 4k resolutions

17 minutes ago, Lil Micro Uzi said:

Atm I have a Sandy Bridge i5 2400 with intel stock cooler(bad ik) with 8gb ddr3 ram and some intel mobo(These parts were scavenged from office computers and stuff found on the street). I then blew my money on a msi gtx 1080 gaming x and a fancy silver stone primera rgb case. I also have an 60hz 1080p moniter. 

So I have about 600 + plus lets say 400 coming in birthday money coming(in about in a month). Whats the best purchase ???? 

Monitor or cpu, mobo, ram. 

LAstly does my current system have any bottlenecks?/????

Thanks a bunch :)

Depending on the board you are using you should be able to grab a 3770 to toss in there. This would give you a pretty nice boost in speeds. You will still have a slight bottle-neck, but it shouldn't be that much 8-12% which isn't going to be very noticeable anyways.  120fps instead of 132fps for example.

5 minutes ago, Lil Micro Uzi said:

Lmao, i understand that, that why i want to upgrade my monitor . . 

4 minutes ago, Lil Micro Uzi said:

And I was talking about at 4k resolutions

I said 4k 60Hz, the GTX1080 is good but not enough to push beyond 4k 60, regardless of cpu.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

10 minutes ago, Lil Micro Uzi said:

Hmmm, whats ur opinion on monitor. Keep or get a new one?

id look for something 1440p if there is money over, otherwise what you have should be pretty decent. maybe pick up another similar screen as a secondary

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1440p 120hz or something similar for monitor and a ryzen 2600X/2700 or intel i5-8600k/i7-8700k will remove any bottlenecks.

19 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

Asus prime, cheap gigabyte ones like the HD3, I’m a big fan if gigabyte mobos,

EVGA’s FTW and Classified K are the best imo. Excellent power delivery, expansion and ram slots. Amazing for overclockng

:)

Does this seem good plus a 250 monitor? that price is flexible. 

Idk monitors so does anyone have recommendation. Preferably 1440p with 120hz

2018-08-17.png

2018-08-17 (2).png