Migrate OS to ssd

The aussie tech kid

Hi,

In the coming months, I will be building my parents a new computer, but the boot drive will be a 128 to 240gb ssd. Right now, they have a 1tb HDD, which is basically full. So, without reinstalling windows, how could I get the OS on the Mechanical hard drive over to the smaller 240gb drive. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

I wouldn't move Windows. A new install of Windows would be the best choice. Moving Windows can cause problems and in some cases, corrupt the installation.

hi.

Yeah dude make a new installation on the SSD then remove the Windows files and partitions from the old HDD when it is done otherwise you'll have problems.

Probably gaming or helping technophobes with tech...

Do a fresh install, cloning drives is a bad idea- there is no way to make 1TB fit on a 240GB SSD. 

1 hour ago, The aussie tech kid said:

Hi,

In the coming months, I will be building my parents a new computer, but the boot drive will be a 128 to 240gb ssd. Right now, they have a 1tb HDD, which is basically full. So, without reinstalling windows, how could I get the OS on the Mechanical hard drive over to the smaller 240gb drive. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

You can't/don't unless you have another HDD where you can transfer the files over, shrink the partition and copy those over with the right programm.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Hello The aussie tech kid,

There is a tool that does cloning from HDD to SSD, check this link: https://www.easeus.com/backup-utility/migrate-windows-10-to-ssd.html

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

11 hours ago, The aussie tech kid said:

Hi,

Thanks

There's a tool you can use called Macrium Reflect Free. You can clone the OS drive and save it as an image file. The program also lets you create a bootable USB to boot from the app and restore the image onto a new SSD.

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

CPU: I9-9900k CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Memory: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200mhz Dual Channel Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master Soundcard: Sound BlasterX AE-7 Capture Card: Elgato Game Capture HD60 Pro Graphics Card: Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti Boot Drive: Samsung 980 Pro NVME 1TB SSD Storage Drives: WD BLACK SN750 NVME 1TB SSD WD Blue 1TB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SSD, 2 WD Blue 500GB SSDs Blu-Ray Drive: Pioneer BDR-2207 Power Supply:  Seasonic PRIME 850 Platinum SSR-850PD 850W 80+ Platinum Case: Cooler Master HAF X OS: Windows 10 Pro